Favorite drum sound you ever heard in person...?

MrTheOne

Been mulling this one over the past few days when I reminisced about seeing Dave Matthews Band in concert back in '99 at Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre in St Louis.

Carter started the drum intro to "Say Goodbye", and I just remember the amazing tone he seemed to pull out of those drums. Maybe it was the combination of the heads (I think he was with Evans at the time), the hot-rods, micing, and his own personal touch, but that sound has stayed with me. It was just the most beautiful sound from a set of drums I've ever heard. The hot-rods I think only made it better because the were a little softer than sticks, obviously. Not as loud and harsh on the attack.

But anyway, since I'm a new member on a drum forum, I thought I'd ask you all what your favorite drum sound is. Preferably in person, but if you have a Youtube clip or song by all means share!

Toolate

Platinum Member
EC2 batters over clear ambassadors on 70's ludwig kit that belonged to my old drum teacher (Eric Schnakenberg). Batters were tuned higher than you would expect but the toms were 14, 16, 18 and the sound was pure thunder but with a clear ring/note. Been tuning towards that since but never quite hit it... Kind of thing you could feel in your gut but just sounded so powerfully perfect to the ear.

balboa

I like the dry sound of Bill Brufords drums from Yes' Fragile. Rushs' Hemispheres is great too! Carter Beauford always has fabulous sounding drums as well. I especially like his high toms.

Mixerman

Alan Wren, Stone Roses
Manchester International 26th July 1987

Sound quality isn't great, but I found a recording on Youtube.
I remember specifically being mesmerised by Reni's drumming at this gig.
You can see my comment as Storm One. Jump to 21:00 or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfjOQ2zt2HE

I hope you can hear how amazing this is despite the sound quality.

M

Matt Bo Eder

At NAMM this weekend, I have to say this is an extreme case, but I was right on top of Omar Hakim's drums when he played. Here's a couple of shots - one where I stood the entire time before the crowds showed up, and the other of Omar playing. There's something about hearing a master player on a top flight set of drums from TWO FEET away. It was stunning - the drums sounded awesome.

Attachments

M

Matt Bo Eder

Another one was Will Kennedy, but I don't count this as qualifying since he was playing Pearl's electronic drumset. But I was in a room with about ten people, and I was five feet in front of Will. I've been such a fan of his since 1987 it was so cool to see and hear him working out!

Attachments

Demford

This is an interesting question. My brother (also a drummer) and I saw Tame Impala a couple of years ago at The Fox Theater in Oakland and couldn't stop marveling about how awesome the drums sounded. It's interesting because we've both played drums for over 30 years, have our favorite drummers (both choose Budgie) and bands and sounds and whatnot, and neither of us would pick Tame Impala. But when you ask about best drum sound ever heard in person, I instantly think of that night. Don't even know what kind of drums he was using or heads or tuning or anything. In fact, we just kept giving credit to the sound man for making the drums sound so freaking great that night. But I will add that Budgie from Siouxsie and The Banshees and Simon Phillips get my favorite drum sounds.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Simon Phillips - Toto
Tim Alexander - Primus

They have quite similar sounds and set their bass drums up exactly the same way.

A lot of credit needs to go to the sound engineers on this thread.

J

JohnoWorld

Marco Minnemann at Cambridge Corn Exchange with Steven Wilson

a DW of some sort, they have always made excellent snares

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
O.P. asked "in person" so I'm going with Steve Smith's Sonor phonic kit he played live with Journey in the early 80's. Clear, punchy, ballsy tone he got out of that kit.
Another would be Chester Thompson's Pearl kit he used on tour with Genesis.
Kudos to the great sound mixer's who were on tour with them.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Pete Ray Biggin's Starclassics at a Level 42 gig in London last year. Hats off to the sound guy that evening.
Forgot about this guy saw them 4 years back at Birmingham Symphony Hall. He was amazing.

I'd love to see Phil + Boon Gould back with them.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
My favorite drum sound I've ever heard in person un-miked?

My Pork Pie USA customs with A Custom fast crashes with a Pearl Masters snare.

My favorite drum sound I've heard in person miked?

My Pork Pie USA customs with A Custom fast crashes with a Pearl Masters snare.

Audix mics, huge PA, geez, they sound like freakin' thunder.

Disclaimer: I've not been to a concert in a very, very long time.

Last edited: