Favorite band based on technological era?

mikel

Platinum Member
Its funny you should bring it up but when the complete Beatles Box Set was released more than one music critic advised buying the "Mono" version rather than the stereo.
Not only did they point out that a lot of the Beatles output was meant to be heard that way, as that was how it was recorded, but that in mono it also sounded, to there ears, better.

I bought the mono version and I have to say it has a certain depth and density that seems to be missing from there later recordings.

Old tech rules eh?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Its funny you should bring it up but when the complete Beatles Box Set was released more than one music critic advised buying the "Mono" version rather than the stereo.
Not only did they point out that a lot of the Beatles output was meant to be heard that way, as that was how it was recorded, but that in mono it also sounded, to there ears, better.

I bought the mono version and I have to say it has a certain depth and density that seems to be missing from there later recordings.

Old tech rules eh?
A friend of mine did this too when he bought the whole Beatles library on iTunes. I think he said it gave him the choice to buy all mono or stereo, so he bought all mono, and it does, to my ears, sound a little better to me too (iTunes format notwithstanding). But I also grew up listening to mono AM pocket radios and when the stereo cassette walkman came out, my family was poor when I was a kid so I was slightly behind the times of experiencing portable stereo music ;)