Fat Cat snare wires

timmdrum

Gold Member
Apologies if this is already posted elsewhere; I attempted searching first and got errors, re: "contains words that are too small or too common"... :rolleyes::(

Granted, I've never used any others besides stock ones supplied with drums (Tama, Pacific, Mapex) and somewhat generic ones in the black & white cardboard sleeves- never tried Puresound or other well-respected aftermarket brands- but I believe I'm in love with Fat Cat snares. They perform exactly as marketed- tight sound from louder notes from the outside strands, and with a slight loosening of the middle ones, pleasingly sensitive, buttery grace note goodness. I have them on an Ahead brass snare which is how I became aware of them (stock), and now have another set on my Mapex Pro M. I'm curious to hear your thoughts, Drummerworld. :)

EDIT: Upon browsing the offerings via Big Bang Distribution's website, I didn't know Fat Cat made... uh, "normal" snare wires also. I wonder how they compare to PureSound, Canopus, etc...? My point with this post was the performance of the Dual Adjustable ones.

Last edited:
Picked up a set of the dual adjustable snares a couple of years ago. This thread reminded me of that purchase. Now I just have to find the damn thing.

I have a set on a 88 model Yamaha tour custom 6 1/2 X 14. I guess they're a little beefier then regular snares. I was wanting to get a deep ballad type snare sound with that drum. But the more I messed with it the higher I tuned it LOL but it does sound fatter and lower in Pitch than my other drums. I think it does do what it's supposed to though

The dual adjustable feature on the Fat Cat wires must've slipped my radar. So you can independently loosen/tighten the inner wires? Any chance that can reduce snare buzz?

Normally I'm not a fan of anything that is not as simple as possible (and adding further adjustability and screws to a snappy snare looks unnecessary). But based on the comments here I might pick a Fat Cat up and try it on one of my snares that haven't yet found its sweet spot.

The dual adjustable feature on the Fat Cat wires must've slipped my radar. So you can independently loosen/tighten the inner wires? Any chance that can reduce snare buzz?

I don't know about reducing buzz- if anything, the looser inner wires may increase it a bit- but the performance that occurs as advertised is awesome, and I don't notice much buzz increase, if any.

Normally I'm not a fan of anything that is not as simple as possible (and adding further adjustability and screws to a snappy snare looks unnecessary). But based on the comments here I might pick a Fat Cat up and try it on one of my snares that haven't yet found its sweet spot.

I'm with you, re: simplicity, but if you've ever struggled with snare wire tension between crisp and buttery, these do truly provide both. I'm totally geeked out on 'em.

I bought some of these after hearing a set of them on a friends snare. I put the Fat Cats on a Pearl Sensitone Bronze snare that just didn't sound as good as I knew it could. Shazam! That Pearl really came to life with the Fat Cats on it. I didn't even have to do much with the adjustable strands. I really prefer these over any of the PureSounds that I've used.

I have a 30 strand set of Fat Cats, no adjustability. I will be putting those on my snare build, hopefully this week. Looking forward to hearing how they sound.

I bought some of these after hearing a set of them on a friends snare. I put the Fat Cats on a Pearl Sensitone Bronze snare that just didn't sound as good as I knew it could. Shazam! That Pearl really came to life with the Fat Cats on it. I didn't even have to do much with the adjustable strands. I really prefer these over any of the PureSounds that I've used.

I bought a Pearl Sensitone Brass, it's still in shipping. If I need to wake it up a bit, maybe I'll order another set of these.

I have a set of dual adjustable Fat Cats on my Hendrix Archetype stave walnut. They come standard as do top and bottom Ahead S-hoops. Killer drum.

I have a set of dual adjustable Fat Cats on my Hendrix Archetype stave walnut. They come standard as do top and bottom Ahead S-hoops. Killer drum.

That's how I discovered them- standard on my Ahead brass snare (as were S-Hoops, Dunnett throw, and Tight Screw tension rods also).

Have a set of standard 20 strand Fat Cat Snappy Wires on my Pearl Omar Hakim. Great wires IMO and up there with other premium brands like Puresound but somewhat cheaper. Just be sure to get the right Pitch or No Pitch version when buying. Pitch for shallow snare beds and No Pitch for deeper snare beds.

Back