Fastest Drummer's remorse has ever set in?

The first drum kit I ever bought I was totally ripped off. It was a premiere kit where there was no reasonant skin latches, the toms had holes in them, plus it had a set of trash can sounding Sonar cymbals that had no pitch to them.

He sold me it for 230 pounds. Looking back, (and back then 230 pounds went a lot further than it does today) I would have been embarrassed to sell that at any price. This guy was a professional drum dealer in a shop and he had a habit of taking families with kids who wanted to play drums to the most expensive stuff that wasn't suitable for children to learn. He was a total con man.

Gig remorse...University of Delaware outdoor girls volleyball tournament..yes the view was great but nobody really knew we were there...everyone was watching the girls play volleyball..go figure..very bizarre gig..

Should have switched clothing to the beach volleyball Speedo mode

Plenty of seller's remorse. Buyer's remorse? Nah. I buy what I want after excruciating, excoriating research and therefore never regret.

Couple of times.. On cymbals once (broken after a couple of months) and an iron cobra HP 900, which was used and broke after a few months.. Still was a great price and I got it fixed (still got it) but who knows, maybe thats just my excuse.

I usually get into gigs I hate. I mean, i gotta listen to the music i'm gonna play and i'm really not into it must of the times. So, yeah, whenever I'm listening or playing through the songs by myself im thinking "what am i doing?" but when its done with the band or the concerts itself it feels good, so dunno... 50/50 perhaps?

Cymbals....for me it is always cymbals. They simply sound different in different settings and it isn't always possible to borrow them to try out in advance. I have bought too many that sounded great in a store with me playing them and then listening to others play them to never be satisfied with them on any gig or in any other setting. Fussy, eh?

Buyer's remorse.. yep.... Replaced my totaled Harley Heritage Softail with a Harley Road King, and a year later traded the Road King back to a Heritage Softail (whoops, oh, wait, I'm on the drum forum :) )

Plenty of seller's remorse. Buyer's remorse? Nah. I buy what I want after excruciating, excoriating research and therefore never regret.

I wish I could say the same. Even after researching, I often find I'm disappointed. For me, it's a matter of money, I'm sure. In most cases, it's not that the thing I bought sucks, it's that I realize it's just something else I don't really need and regret spending money on.

Does this include buying things that just didn't work out? When I was much younger and the Zildjian Earth Ride was new, I so wanted one because at the time I wanted my ride to be the RIDE, and not washy or crashy. When I finally got one, it was the most unmusical thing I've ever played and everybody else around me hated it too. Buyers remorse?
i bought one of those monstrosities in the eighties, and hated it, BUT, i kept it in my cymbal bag, and late one night, i ran my whole cymbal collection over, and that earth ride saved the whole bunch! it has been my favorite cymbal since that fateful evening. :)

Yeah....

Wanted a China..no reason....just wanted one.Couldn't be @rsed going to the drum shop to check them out.

Got a deal on a Paiste 2002 20" China online....snapped it up for £100

Worst sounding piece of junk I've ever heard....basically I could have hung a dustbin lid up on a stand and I'm convinced it would have sounded better.

And the ugliest cymbal I've ever come across....big square, ugly, bell shape and just wouldn't rest comfortably on a stand either upright or upside down....can't imagine it not developing keyholing in short time. Weighed an absolute ton. Sure it was made of cast iron.

Took it to first rehearsal....struck it once...thought "oh my f'ing giddy aunt".....took it down, back in the bag, home, never saw the light of day again.

Sold it for £80 a month later. Hope the buyer liked it more than I did.

Will never venture into the mystical world of China cymbals ever again.

:)

I have a couple cymbals that I regret buying. It was more of a gradual regret though.

They sounded great, and I played them, but in a short time (few months) they just weren't what I really wanted.
They were kind of expensive too. After going through all my cymbals & deciding what I could live without (AKA "haven't used it"), I'm selling them, but they haven't moved yet.

One purchase a few years ago, that was STUPID (but I had the money to do it), was the set of mini-hats I wanted to use. I had a cymbal for the bottom, but the only 10" cymbal that sounded just right was of course the $90 Paragon splash.

It was a dumb purchase because I had ONE SPOT, (2 bars) in ONE SONG I wanted that sound for. I was using a bigger drum kit then (like it's small now...) with more cymbals, and the two chinas in back. It was cool, but, it was totally a "more money than sense" buy.

I could sell that Paragon splash, but I haven't bothered.

I have a couple cymbals that I regret buying. It was more of a gradual regret though.

They sounded great, and I played them, but in a short time (few months) they just weren't what I really wanted.

I hadn't thought about it before but I've had that too. As you say, "not what I want", even though it's a good quality cymbal.

Back