Fastest Drummer's remorse has ever set in?

MrPockets

Gold Member
I am calling it drummer's remorse because I also want to include accepting band/gig offers.

That being said have you ever thought to yourself, "Man, I really wish I didn't buy this.."? When did it occur.

Similar have you ever thought to yourself, "I shouldn't have agreed to play music with these people..." or "Why am I in this venue"? Does it happen before the performance/immediately after/the next day?

I am looking at my DW5002 (the one with the new clamp) and thinking, "Maybe I should have waited and bought the DW9002 I see at almost the same price. Oh well, at least it is a good pedal."

Stroman

Platinum Member
I feel that almost any time I buy anything other than food...

The only time I felt remorse about a musical situation was when I auditioned for a band, and elected to join (they were a GOOD band!) only to find out they were a Christian rock band. I'm not religious, so that was a little awkward. They never said a thing about being Christian rock, and when I auditioned I couldn't hear the lyrics well enough to pick it up. (Plus, I was blown away by the guitar player.) I actually played with them a couple of years, and it was better than i would have expected, but when we started taking gigs at political fundraisers, I decided to call it quits...

TColumbia37

Silver Member
I recently had a similar experience

Guitar Center had a killer deal on the previous DW9000 single pedal. I thought it was so cheap because it was the old model, and the new model had recently been released. Being that it was the display model, I got it for like 10% off of the already low price, so I figured I got a great deal. Well, a few weeks later, I went back, and they had the new DW9000 model sitting where mine once was. With the rubber bottom and the improved toe clamp, and better yet, it was THE SAME PRICE that mine was listed at. All I could really do was kick myself for a few days and get over it.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Non-wood sticks. I don't know how many different types of these fake sticks I went through trying to find a suitable substitute for the real thing, but in the end I just felt like kicking myself because I could have just purchased a bunch more real sticks with the money I spent.

CreeplyTuna

Silver Member
A few too many cymbals that just didn't cut it for me in the end. Luckily, I've always been able to make the money back reselling or returning. That's why you buy used, kids.

Km6543

I recently had a similar experience

Guitar Center had a killer deal on the previous DW9000 single pedal. I thought it was so cheap because it was the old model, and the new model had recently been released. Being that it was the display model, I got it for like 10% off of the already low price, so I figured I got a great deal. Well, a few weeks later, I went back, and they had the new DW9000 model sitting where mine once was. With the rubber bottom and the improved toe clamp, and better yet, it was THE SAME PRICE that mine was listed at. All I could really do was kick myself for a few days and get over it.
I would think that you could take it to Guitar Center, explain the situation and swap the pedal out.

AirborneSFC

Gold Member
+1 on used gear. I have a few amazing Sonor kits I bought new. The rest of my gear I got nearly for free or next to nothing. I would buy a whole set and sell off the rest to keep just what I wanted. This is how I scored a round badge kit for $380.

rtliquid

I don't think I've ever had buyer's remorse or gig remorse, but 99 times out of 100, I've had seller's remorse. I've said it before, unless my house is going into foreclosure or it gets to a point where I have to rent a storage unit, I'm never selling anything ever again.

audioragegarden

Non-wood sticks. I don't know how many different types of these fake sticks I went through trying to find a suitable substitute for the real thing, but in the end I just felt like kicking myself because I could have just purchased a bunch more real sticks with the money I spent.
Heh heh, I kind of went through the opposite. I remember years ago a guy at my local store was telling me about the new Ahead Lars Ulrich sticks when I complained about breaking my wooden ones, and I was almost sold except I didn't really like Metallica back then. I soon forgot about it, and spent four or five more years of breaking wooden sticks and wasting so much money. Then just about a year ago I got a pair of that same brand of Ahead sticks, and by the end of the first month of playing with them, I felt like such a moron for not switching all those years ago, and using the money I would've saved to upgrade my set instead. That's life I guess...

JosephDAqui

Silver Member
Buyers remorse a while ago: Tama Speed Cobra. I thought it was the greatest thing after trying the Trick, Axis, Pearl and etc. After 2 months I really regretted it - me and the long board did not get along. Trade-in value wasn't bad though....

Vic firth nova sticks recently.

Bought 5 pairs of the 5A since they're cheap and the 5A seems to be about the standard for metal. Played with them about 5 minutes on practise pads & hated it. they feel too light & thickness isn't exactly too my liking. I'll stick to 8D's from now on.

another would be to buy a custom made guitar cabinet. Only to quit a few months later due to circumstances. No way i'm getting it sold for a decent price so i'll just keep it around for the odd recording. Price was about 1400$ new aswell lol.

porter

Platinum Member
Bought 5 pairs of the 5A since they're cheap and the 5A seems to be about the standard for metal.
I have never heard of this. If any stick were going to be a metal standard, it'd probably be the 5B or 3A... Still, they vary between companies anyways and there is no real standard. Try some Chad Smith or Derek Roddy signature models, I like those a lot.

On topic, I felt this way a few days after I bought a Byzance Billiant 20" heavy ride. Coming from a 21" ultra-heavy Saluda monster, the bell was severely underwhelming and the bow was somehow less musical than the Saluda! I still love Meinl though, and my next ride addition (22" Mb10 heavy) is much more confidence inspiring for me.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
For a long time I passed a local pawn shop and would lust after this very funky electric violin in the window. At that point buyers' remorse set in before the sale as I imagined myself making awful screechy sounds for a while and putting the instrument aside to gather dust - so I never bought it.

8Mile

Platinum Member
The first time I read the thread title, I thought it was about having remorse for being the fastest drummer.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Does this include buying things that just didn't work out? When I was much younger and the Zildjian Earth Ride was new, I so wanted one because at the time I wanted my ride to be the RIDE, and not washy or crashy. When I finally got one, it was the most unmusical thing I've ever played and everybody else around me hated it too. Buyers remorse?

MrPockets

Gold Member
Does this include buying things that just didn't work out? When I was much younger and the Zildjian Earth Ride was new, I so wanted one because at the time I wanted my ride to be the RIDE, and not washy or crashy. When I finally got one, it was the most unmusical thing I've ever played and everybody else around me hated it too. Buyers remorse?
If regret purchasing it, then yes.

Taye-Dyed

My biggest buyer's remorse was a pair of 14" Giant Beat hihats. I did not have a way to check them out in person, but from all the samples I heard, I was convinced that they were the end all be all hats for me. Plus I owned an 18" Giant Beat multi that was great, so I thought GB's were the cymbals for me. So I saved up and bought a brand new pair only to be sorely disappointed by them. The open and and semi-open sounds were fine, but closed it was like hitting plastic and the chick was very weak. I got rid of them pretty quickly.

Over the years, my biggest regrets were when I foolishly opted for cheaper/inferior gear rather than spending a little more and getting pro quality stuff. Ends up costing more because you sell the cheapo item for a loss and buy the higher quality item in the end anyway.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
The first time I read the thread title, I thought it was about having remorse for being the fastest drummer.
I did too. I thought it was going to be related to the Fastest Drummer at DW thread. Like ... maybe the fastest drummers feel remorse at making everyone else look cumbersome? Nahh :D