Fastest Double Bass Player?

YAHAHA said:
All this seems confusing; especially since you are implying playing 16th notes played in a 4/4 time signature.

I think that it would be less confusing if we just compared using strokes per minute like WFD does.

You're wrong there - 800 strokes/min from "200bpm 16ths" does not require any assumption of time signature. 16ths = each beat subdivided into four, so to get the number of strokes in a minute you need to multiply the tempo by four. Similarly:

Quarter notes = 1 stroke per beat
8th notes = 2 strokes per beat
8th note triplets = 3 strokes per beat

... etc.

And it makes much more sense to talk about tempo than strokes/min, because you could achieve 1000 strokes in a minute by playing both slower and faster than 250bpm. That measures an average of your top sustained and top burst speed, depending on how you phrase during the minute. Of course, in real life those WFD guys keep a pretty even tempo. But if you want to talk about music, you measure how many BPM you can play a phrase at because that's what matters. Not how many you can play rubato in a minute.

@FinnHiggins -

"And it makes much more sense to talk about tempo than strokes/min"
- Disagree with that in this context, given that WFD uses the drumometer as ThomasDee said, which counts the individual strokes made within the time limit, regardless of any reqular time division. Necessarily, Tim Waterson et al. will not be playing perfect subdivisions of a certain tempo. since when was WFD concerned with music?

jonescrusher said:
@FinnHiggins -

"And it makes much more sense to talk about tempo than strokes/min"
- Disagree with that in this context, given that WFD uses the drumometer as ThomasDee said, which counts the individual strokes made within the time limit, regardless of any reqular time division. Necessarily, Tim Waterson et al. will not be playing perfect subdivisions of a certain tempo. since when was WFD concerned with music?

We're pretty much on the same page then there, eh? I don't disagree with you - that most certainly is the method WFD use, and it certainly doesn't have anything to do with music. But personally if I'm listening to drummers I really only care about it in a musical context. What use is speed if you can't sustain it at a fixed tempo?

The strokes/minute measure is useful for a competition like WFD in that it doesn't require more than one pass - you just set them playing and in one minute you know the answer. Checking the ability to play fast and in time requires multiple passes with a metronome... so for practical reasons I can see why they do it, but it's really an inferior measure because there are additional demands when it comes to playing to time at fast tempos.

(of course, if you go read the WFD thread you'll know that I don't think anybody should work on technique as something divorced from music... but that's not really that relevent here)

Re: Double Bass

CartersChops said:
suprising none of you have heard of hellhammer, the legendary scandanavian black metal drummer......as sinister as his band mayhem may be, his double bass is by far the fastest ive ever heard..rumor has it he is recording with DIMMU BORGIR, as their master metal skinsman nick barker stepped aside. hellhammer also drums with thorns and arcturus...look them up and you will be amazed. next to him its dimmu borgir's old drummer nick barker.

Reno is taking over for Nick.... Reno Killerich.

and Trym from Emperor is fast. Watch Emperial Live Ceremony and watch "Night Of The Graveless Souls." The intro is insane.

sounds n00bish - i agree. but no one is mentioning joey of slipknot?

Ambassador of Pain by Kataklysm. Very fast double bass..faster than 94 hours. Jordan Mancino is awesome though! I have their Frail Worlds Collapse and Shadows are Security. Great Albums!

Luminoth said:
sounds n00bish - i agree. but no one is mentioning joey of slipknot?

Nope; no-one is mentioning Joey, because although he is a fast double player, he is nowhere NEAR the level of the drummers we are discussing here. He is a good drummer though; don't get me wrong. Just maybe a little overrated...

Yeah, I'd have to go with Dirk Verbeuren. Listen to him play on Soilwork's album "Stabbing The Drama". He's got the ability to play both technical AND fast. And most and important of all, you can nod your head to it.

Well, just to quote from Tommy Aldridge's Drummer World "featured drummers" page, " Tommy Aldridge has set the standard for double-bass rock drumming." Not sure if he's the fastest but he is a monster double bass drummer for sure.

Raymond Hererra from Fear Factory is very good. Perhaps he isn't the fastest around, but I like his use of double bass.

Just looked at the georg kollias vidieo as posted by one member, all he has is fast feet, his time and creativity on the top end was pitiful!

Back