Fantasy Gigs

He also performs at Gilley's in Urban Cowboy, starring John Travolta. I'm wondering how Charlie might have fit in Saturday Night Fever. It would have been a stretch but an interesting one nevertheless.

Haha OMG that's funny! Let's put him in Grease also. They could be the band at the dance off where Danny and Cha-Cha win, and Sandy gets butt hurt.

Haha OMG that's funny! Let's put him in Grease also. They could be the band at the dance off where Danny and Cha-Cha win, and Sandy gets butt hurt.

I can kind of see him in Grease, maybe in the role of auto mechanic or school janitor. Saturday Night Fever presents ongoing problems. Charlie just doesn't belong in NYC, especially not in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.

Speaking of Grease and Fever, I’d sit in for the Bee Gees in the mid-90s. You’ve got their early 60s quasi-Beatles and white soul output, some classic disco (you should be dancing is a hell of a track I don’t care what the anti-disco crowd say) and then their later-era power ballads. Fun gig for sure.

Speaking of Grease and Fever, I’d sit in for the Bee Gees in the mid-90s. You’ve got their early 60s quasi-Beatles and white soul output, some classic disco (you should be dancing is a hell of a track I don’t care what the anti-disco crowd say) and then their later-era power ballads. Fun gig for sure.
The In the Now gig would be a favorite of mine.
Here’s a really cool “VR” video of an in-studio “rehearsal”:

Hey everyone,

I always like to cruise youtube and watch old live shows and make my kiddos watch old bands with me haha.

If you could go back in time (or now) what would your fantasy gig(s) be?

For me:

Sade in the 80s...or just start in the 80s and moving on to today. Great grooves - easy, fun tunes and a HIP band - what a blast that must be!

Sting - any time frame - great tunes, great drums - recording in a Castle wouldn't be all that bad either!! Cool bandmates - best venues in the world - what a gig!

David Bowie - Later years - The suit / gentlemen time frame in the early 2000s - whole catalog of amazing songs to play....cool musicians - great jams and actually a pretty simple show.

Those would be GREAT - What are some of your fantasy gigs??
I remember a comedian talking about a particular book being as boring as a double album by Sade. Was funny at the time.

I posted a few weeks ago my desire to be in a band like Tower of Power.

I remember a comedian talking about a particular book being as boring as a double album by Sade. Was funny at the time.

I have to admit - there's a certain visual aspect to Sade that adds a lot to the performance that might not be captured on a double disc haha.

Who? Luke Combs.
Era? Right now.
I listen to a wide variety of music, and that includes country, old & new. The Nashville machine definitely follows distinct sounds. Big fat snares is one of em. Now I’m hearing that annoying computer-generated high hat “scratch” & thin snare sound made popular in the R&B realm.

If you saw the Ken Burns documentary Country Music, you’d know how much of a fishbowl their music business is.

I started watching the Ken Burns documentary, but I never finished it. I may pick it back up.

What do you mean by this:
[...]you’d know how much of a fishbowl their music business is.

It’s a “small town” and ideas and sounds and production methods are continuously shared and/or stolen.

Got it. Thanks for your explanation! It makes sense, and I believe you are correct in this observation.

The guy I'm playing with now does a mix of newer and older country music. I've been really into the big, fat snare sound for a few years now. I think the main reason is that one of the biggest lessons I've learned is that lower frequencies coming from a drum set sound really great in miked up, and it doesn't kill everyone's ears that are on stage.

This will sound crazy, but I’d like to drum for Cirque du Soleil

That's not crazy at all - that could be a sick gig depending on which show!!!

I know "Love" was all tracks - but I nearly cried when I saw that show it was so good. Cirque is awesome - I hope they survive the pandemic - I read that they were going bankrupt.

That's not crazy at all - that could be a sick gig depending on which show!!!

I know "Love" was all tracks - but I nearly cried when I saw that show it was so good. Cirque is awesome - I hope they survive the pandemic - I read that they were going bankrupt.

I really hope those performers find a way to keep doing what they love.

1. Rush...hands down
2. Iron Maiden
3. Dave Brubeck Quartet
4. Minor Threat
5. Strike Anywhere
6. and would agree with NC about Sting, esp would love to have done the first 4 albums...
7. Styx starting with the Equinox album up to Paradise Theater

and these would either be on drum set or bass....

In no particular order..

Status Quo - End of the Road, Milton Keynes Bowl 1984 (UK)
Was their (at the moment) final gig and they broke up (to be back together 2 years later with a different drummer and bassplayer). One of the live VHS tapes i watched a lot when i was young. Besides the songs that i love, the huge audience is so much fun to watch! Image sitting behind the drums and watching at thousands of attendees... amazing! Still fantasize about playing with them. Drumset by the way is still one of my favs. Can't find a good pic, but look the gig up on YouTube to get and impression :)

1596697574312.png

Status Quo - Live at the N.E.C. 1982
Another VHS i grew up with. Mostly love this because at the start of the gig the low drone sound comes up, red lights on, smoke on stage... i even get goosebumps writing this haha. Probably my fav live recording ever. I have the entire set on vinyl and contains my favorite rendition of the song 'Forty five hundred times'; almost 22 minutes of straight boogie rock. And also it's at this huge venue where during Roadhouse Blues spotlights are shining randomly over the crowd, epic! Just like the final entry of this post, the lighting is killer on this show! Much more prefer these kind of old school lighting then those LEDs we see these days (well yeah ok... LEDS produce far less heat then these babies heheh)

1596697706470.png

Dire Straits - On the Night
The first 2 songs were recorded in Rotterdam and the rest in Nimes (France), but this recording holds a special place in my heart as well. It was the first CD that i got (for a holiday) and listened to it a lot. Love the vibe on the recordings and it's a great alround setlist: heavy songs, ballads, quieter songs etc. Sadly Dire Straits broke up before i got a chance to see them live.

Couldn't find a nice pic to post sadly.

And at last...
I don't think i need to explain this one...

1596698321578.png

Back