Fantasy Gigs

NouveauCliche

Hey everyone,

I always like to cruise youtube and watch old live shows and make my kiddos watch old bands with me haha.

If you could go back in time (or now) what would your fantasy gig(s) be?

For me:

Sade in the 80s...or just start in the 80s and moving on to today. Great grooves - easy, fun tunes and a HIP band - what a blast that must be!

Sting - any time frame - great tunes, great drums - recording in a Castle wouldn't be all that bad either!! Cool bandmates - best venues in the world - what a gig!

David Bowie - Later years - The suit / gentlemen time frame in the early 2000s - whole catalog of amazing songs to play....cool musicians - great jams and actually a pretty simple show.

Those would be GREAT - What are some of your fantasy gigs??

Attachments

• sade-1.jpg
    sade-1.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Sting bring on the night.jpg
    Sting bring on the night.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 3
  • david-bowie_chicago_2002-08-08_photoby_adam-bielawski.jpg
    david-bowie_chicago_2002-08-08_photoby_adam-bielawski.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 3
For me that's an easy one. To play with Frank Zappa during the 200 Motes days. Of course, the other part of the fantasy is that I have the chops to pull it off.

For me that's an easy one. To play with Frank Zappa during the 200 Motes days. Of course, the other part of the fantasy is that I have the chops to pull it off.

Dude Zappa is rowdy....I was just listening to "Roxy & Elsewhere Live" what a freaking band.

Any incarnation of John Mayer’s lineup that includes Pino on bass, but especially the tour immediately following the release of Continuum.

That would be a blast!!

I'll drum with George Strait and his Ace in the Hole Band, any year, anywhere.

Otherwise, I'll drum with Waylon Jennings back in the '70s.

Nice - little country action! I don't think Country drummers get enough shout outs in the community!

I'd join Steely Dan and tell Becker and Fagan-hell no you aren't getting Jim Hodder; Jim Gordon, Jeff Porcaro, Hal Blaine, Bernard “Pretty” Purdie, Steve Gadd, Paul Humphrey, Rick Marotta, Jim Keltner, Ed Greene or anyone else to replace me LOL.

From the 1970s:
Tower of Power. Because Rocco Prestia.
Earth, Wind & Fire. Because Verdine White.

My fantasy gig, I dunno, maybe Slayer. Pre-Black album Metallica maybe. It would be to sit in with some metal band that was hugely influential in my musical journey.

To stick with where the thread is going, maybe Charlie Daniels. Nah, its gotta be Johnny Cash. Keeping it Arkansas.

To stick with where the thread is going, maybe Charlie Daniels. Nah, its gotta be Johnny Cash. Keeping it Arkansas.

Now you're talkin'. But I'd take Daniels over Cash. The latter's repetitive train-track grooves would wear on me after a few songs.

In reference to Slayer, sitting in on "Angel of Death" would be fun.

Now you're talkin'. But I'd take Daniels over Cash. The latter's repetitive train-track grooves would wear on me after a few songs.

Used to play "Angel of Death", "Raining Blood", and "War Ensemble" when I was gigging. All super fun, lots of things to learn in each though. Lombardo definitely left a huge laundry list of fills in his wake.

JC is definitely train tracky. I'm not good at the train beat so I'm not bored with it yet. It's like the magical little simple thing I suck at but am enamoured with. It's getting there, but definitely isnt record ready. Maybe if I did it with my feet...

I was in a band that opened for Charlie Daniels in like 2002 at Echo Basin Ranch in Colorado and he had the most FIRE band - they looked like a bunch of music school hot shots...it was a lot more fusion than I expected coming from Mr. Daniels - great freaking show.

I was in a band that opened for Charlie Daniels in like 2002 at Echo Basin Ranch in Colorado and he had the most FIRE band - they looked like a bunch of music school hot shots...it was a lot more fusion than I expected coming from Mr. Daniels - great freaking show.

Yeah, Charlie is often noted as an expert fiddle player, but an overlooked fact is that he's a great guitarist too. A man for all seasons to be sure.

Charlie is also one of the nicest, gentlest, most gracious people you'd ever want to meet. He is also as tall as a giraffe.

He also performs at Gilley's in Urban Cowboy, starring John Travolta. I'm wondering how Charlie might have fit in Saturday Night Fever. It would have been a stretch but an interesting one nevertheless.

Back