Fan recommendations

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Hey drummer buddies.

So I've got a fan in my practice spaces and was thinking this would be real nice at shows as well. I think though for shows with microphones all over the place and gear that might have varying levels of shielding, I should maybe think about this for a moment.

So I'm looking for both "do's" or "do not's" regarding gig fans to keep me cool as the temperature keeps getting higher for the season.

So (I think) I'm looking for the following:
1) quiet. - I assume that we don't want my standard huge warehouse fan even though it moves air great, because it's loud and could be heard potentially during quiet parts?
2) electronic interference or what not to the amps or speakers can't happen. - not specifically with music stuff, but I've had fans give weird noises if too close to certain gear... Assume some fans are worse about it.
3) easy to move around.
4) not wimpy. - If I can't actively feel it, it's not very useful.

Recommendations, things to stay away from, or opinions on my made up requirements?

If you solve your fan problem and it's not enough, you can give this a shot. It kept me going in the Louisiana summer heat.

One thing a lot of people don't think about is remote control. I have this fan and the remote control really comes in handy.

Another thing is the front fan grill. I always remove mine: it makes cleaning easier and about doubles the air flow. I'd remove the back too but then it becomes a safety hazard.

That ice vest is hilarious. Since I'm trying to stay relatively dry during my shows, I think it might be the wrong direction!

I have a fan. His name is Ron and you can't have him :)

A small squirrel cage type fan is what I like/use. I keep my fan on low because high is too much.

https://express.google.com/product/...pping&utm_medium=product_ads&utm_campaign=gsx

That is funny. I was just telling my family how all of the tool companies have basically merged under one corporation, and I look at the Lasko fan that is 79.00 and in the bootom of the page is the Lasko Stanley fan for $50.00 and it looks 95 percent like the same fan.

parent company of Stanley Tools, DeWalt tools, Black and Decker, Craftsman, Irwin, Porter-Cable, MAC Tools, Lenox air conditioning etc, Bostitch, staplers and fasteners.

It's not ice, and it's not wet.

Okay, that's even weirder.

Looked closer... Now I see why they are hundreds of dollars... I thought it was a decimal error at first glance.

That is funny. I was just telling my family how all of the tool companies have basically merged under one corporation, and I look at the Lasko fan that is 79.00 and in the bootom of the page is the Lasko Stanley fan for $50.00 and it looks 95 percent like the same fan.

parent company of Stanley Tools, DeWalt tools, Black and Decker, Craftsman, Irwin, Porter-Cable, MAC Tools, Lenox air conditioning etc, Bostitch, staplers and fasteners.

I'm a cheap enough bastard to buy the stanley too.

+1, I use the Stanley version, great fan, a real lifesaver in the summer, don’t point it towards any of your mics.

I have a cheap 8" Wal Mart fan, one that runs surprisingly quiet, has three speed settings, moves quite a bit of air. Tilt base, so I can aim it where I like. Cost about $15. Small enough that it fits in gear box, I carry it year round, even up here in the great white north...many clubs are plenty warm, even in the winter.

I use one of these type of fans at gigs; it's small enough to stash behind a floor tom or right behind my throne and is fairly quiet. I use it in my home practice room (where I mic the drums) and it's not loud enough to be annoying. I turn if off when recording, though.

shopping

Back