FAKE Ludwig Legacy Snare?

M.I.A.

Hi people,
after playing steel snare drums all my life (not my choice) I decided to buy a wooden snare drum.
I wanted it to have a solid fundamental tone and musicality so I chose Ludwig's Legacy series.
I bought a new 6.5x14 from Italy and it sounds very good to my untrained ears, but I was very surprised when I saw that the serial number is 11341 .
5-digit serial numbers were used in the 60's. Today they are close to 8-digit numbers.
So, is this a fake drum?

Please help my WTF situation.

Thanks.

Attachments

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Modern serial numbers from Ludwig don't really mean much at all anymore. They can't be used to date the drum like serial numbers on old Chicago Keystone or B/O badges could.

It's possible that with Legacy's being a newer line of drums, they have given them a different lot of serial numbers altogether, but I don't know for certain. Why Ludwig do half the things they do is a mystery to many. But I wouldn't be at all concerned with it being a fake. I think this is highly unlikely

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, the numbering on their drums is kind of by series these days. My Keystones are 7-digit numbers which are currently in the 0007xxx range, and my Legacies from August, 2010 are numbered 11828 thru 11840, so your snare is legit.

Bermuda

M.I.A.

Thanks guys, you really un-paranoid me here. Cheers.

If Bermuda has very close serials that means this drum was made around 2010 too.
Boy, did I choose the right forum :)))

As I was saying the drum sounds good. The only negative thing I found was some glue residue on the two bearing edges and some minor roughness on the poplar ply on one of the snare beds. If I sand it gently it should become near perfect.

Thanks a lot!

"Great success!" - Borat

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
BTW, just confirming that the Legacy badge #s started at 10000. Actually, Legacy drum #1 has badge # 10001... I happen to have virgin badge #10000 (don't ask!)

Bermuda