Factory drilled Tom Tom? Another gretsch question

The USA Customs are customizable with several different hardware options. Looks like Maxwell ordered that one.

This is the kit I thought you were initially looking at in the other thread.

The USA Customs are customizable with several different hardware options. Looks like Maxwell ordered that one.

This is the kit I thought you were initially looking at in the other thread.

I was looking at a duco and then fell in love with this one! I love everything on this kit but that Tom Tom with the built in rack is really cool, I've never seen it before.

That's a sweet looking kit!

Direct-to-shell mounts are starting to come back around again, and Gretsch seems to be leading the way. I have noticed a lot of their stuff is direct to shell. I recently watched a You Tube video on Mark Guliana un-boxing his new Brooklyn Kit, and he specifically ordered a direct to shell mount.

I prefer suspension mounts or mounts that aren't attached fully to the shell, like Yamaha YESS, Pearl Opti-Mounts etc. To each their own. The advantages of direct to shell mounts are that it is more compact/less bulky, easier to position (you don't have the extra give or variance of a suspension mount) and it fits in a case easier.

Having said all that, give me suspension mount any day over direct to shell. I also have never liked that modern Gretsch tom holder. So bulky! I never understood why they made the entire ball arm/clamp not permanently attached to the vertical post. Yes you can raise/lower it independently of the vertical post, and you can spin it 360 degrees independent of the vertical post, but why? You can raise/lower the vertical post, and spin the vertical post 360 degrees on it's own. Why would you need the ball arm/clamp to do it as well? It just seems redundant.

Anyway, my gripes aside, enjoy your kit, I'm sure it will sound great!

I ordered my USA Custom set last year with the direct-to-shell mount. It was the decision I agonized over the most out of all the choices I had to make. Speaking only for myself, it was a great decision and I couldn't be happier.

One thing for sure, you can change that batter head without taking the drum apart. That's an advantage for sure. I like the look of less harware as well. I have a Gretsch Renown and changhing heads is a major doing. That almost looks like an easy modification. Maybe if I get bored.

View attachment 89918

I just scored this baby, I was curious about that Tom Tom, it's factory mounted/drilled instead of having a brace/ bracket. Ive never seen that on a modern gretsch, how rare is that?
Beauty. But probably not super rare by modern Gretsch standards ...... since they started offering the vintage build option. Both the tom mount and the re-designed floor tom leg mounts are light years better than the original's of yesteryear.

Beauty. But probably not super rare by modern Gretsch standards ...... since they started offering the vintage build option. Both the tom mount and the re-designed floor tom leg mounts are light years better than the original's of yesteryear.

the comeback of the playboy outfit on their kits is truly great! I just wish they kept the name "playboy" instead of heritage. That will probably be my next purchase next year.

I took the mount off of my 8 inch Renown tom for research and this is an easy fix. A bit longer screws on the inner plate , 2 holes drilled and this is done. I will think about it. I have the skills.

Attachments

• IMG_9239.jpg
    IMG_9239.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9240.jpg
    IMG_9240.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9248.JPG
    IMG_9248.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9256.JPG
    IMG_9256.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9261.jpg
    IMG_9261.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9263.jpg
    IMG_9263.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 16
which cymbal stands are those in your picture, they look interesting.
That is the Yamaha Crosstown ultra-lightweight hardware. I bought the hardware pack they offer last year. One of the best investments I've made. If you're tired of lugging around heavy hardware, I strongly suggest you check into it.

that hardware pack looks great and the price is stellar! however I had my heart set on getting a iron cobra 900 for this kit and absolutely hate when all my hardware is mismatched, especially pedals. idk if im picky sob or ocd lol

I don't understand the direct to shell mounts. They for sure choke the drums response. I rejoiced when suspension mounts for toms were developed. I don't understand the whole going backwards thing. What are the upsides with shell mounts again? Fits in the case better? Not good enough for me. I'm done playing them at that point. Shell mounted brackets choke the drum's sustain, period. I'll pass there. Suspension mounts are a must for me.

So for the direct to shell mounting guys, I am assuming you remove any air suspension feet, so the floor toms can sound more choked too. Is that right? Or do they stay on? If they stay on, why do the floor toms get to resonate naturally but the rack toms don't? If anything the rack toms should get the ISO mounts and the floor toms shouldn't. The rack toms need them more. Sorry but this pisses me off lol. I want all the toms suspension mounted, even if they are on someone else's set ha ha.

Larry your yellow Gretsch drums continue to knock me out. It could be my very favorite set here.

I don't understand the direct to shell mounts. They for sure choke the drums response. I rejoiced when suspension mounts for toms were developed. I don't understand the whole going backwards thing. What are the upsides with shell mounts again? Fits in the case better? Not good enough for me. I'm done playing them at that point. Shell mounted brackets choke the drum's sustain, period. I'll pass there. Suspension mounts are a must for me.

So for the direct to shell mounting guys, I am assuming you remove any air suspension feet, so the floor toms can sound more choked too. Is that right? Or do they stay on? If they stay on, why do the floor toms get to resonate naturally but the rack toms don't? If anything the rack toms should get the ISO mounts and the floor toms shouldn't. The rack toms need them more. Sorry but this pisses me off lol. I want all the toms suspension mounted, even if they are on someone else's set ha ha.

Larry your yellow Gretsch drums continue to knock me out. It could be my very favorite set here.
Couldn't you make the same argument against mounted bass drums?

Couldn't you make the same argument against mounted bass drums?
All my stupid opinion...To me a bass drum doesn't have tone like I want my toms to have. It's more of a hit to the gut, a subsonic punch. Where toms are more in your face with definite discernible notes. The snare...I don't want it to sustain like a tom, so ISO mounts for snare and bass drums are unnecessary. I don't need a certain note from my snare or BD. They give me the kick and splat sound. They aren't used like a tom is used, and I don't treat them like toms because they aren't toms. Toms get more special treatment (read ISO mounts and more meticulous tuning) to make the long sustaining pure tone I like.

Last edited:

Floor toms have direct mount legs. Three of them. The rack toms would have but one. Seems the floor toms would be inherently dead but they are not. The reason for the rubber gaskets between the shell mount and the shell.

I would replace the direct-to-shell Gretsch mount with an INDe tunable spring mount bracket. Heads remain easy to change, and you get increased sustain and bounce out of your tom tom. It’s a win win.

Back