Factory drilled Tom Tom? Another gretsch question

mindmischief

I would replace the direct-to-shell Gretsch mount with an INDe tunable spring mount bracket. Heads remain easy to change, and you get increased sustain and bounce out of your tom tom. It’s a win win.
And Rob it of the beautiful gretsch mount??? No way that's one of the reasons I bought it lol

dmacc_2

I took the mount off of my 8 inch Renown tom for research and this is an easy fix. A bit longer screws on the inner plate , 2 holes drilled and this is done. I will think about it. I have the skills.
Let us know how it goes if you do it.

I may do the same thing with my USA's and Brooklyn. Already drilled the bass drum for the mount years ago. I think those rim mounts are aweful, which is the same feeling of not having a bass drum mount (which is why I solved that issues years ago).

Mustion

Floor toms have direct mount legs. Three of them. The rack toms would have but one. Seems the floor toms would be inherently dead but they are not. The reason for the rubber gaskets between the shell mount and the shell.
This is a good point. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that a floor tom's shell has much more "free" surface area away from the mounts as compared to a rack tom? Some mounts seem to almost touch both rims on smaller rack toms.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
What a beautiful Gretsch kit! I love that color.

Recently saw a NAMM show video in which the Gretsch production mgr said that they've been receiving numerous requests for direct mounted Tom mounts. Must be a trend in the making.

If I had the cash, I'd retrofit all of my mounted Tom's with Yamaha YESS mounts - isolation mounts that work but are not ugly. The best Tom iso mount design so far.

GeeDeeEmm

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
This is a good point. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that a floor tom's shell has much more "free" surface area away from the mounts as compared to a rack tom? Some mounts seem to almost touch both rims on smaller rack toms.
If someone asked me, I'd say that the 3 legs on a floor tom mimic a suspension mount in that there is more than one weight bearing point. Same with a snare or a tom in a snare basket. It's supported at 3 points. That's why I like multiple points of support, instead of all the weight at one point..right at the point in the rack tom shell that I want completely unrestricted so it can vibrate freely. The air suspension feet on the floor toms do a great job. I had to practice on a vintage Sonor teardrop kit (read garbage) where the single headed floor tom was SO dead. I put just 2 of the legs inside of my empty shoes and wow what an improvement.

mindmischief

What a beautiful Gretsch kit! I love that color.

Recently saw a NAMM show video in which the Gretsch production mgr said that they've been receiving numerous requests for direct mounted Tom mounts. Must be a trend in the making.

If I had the cash, I'd retrofit all of my mounted Tom's with Yamaha YESS mounts - isolation mounts that work but are not ugly. The best Tom iso mount design so far.

GeeDeeEmm
Thanks! Got a link to said video? Can't get enough of namm 2020 coverage

Morrisman

Platinum Member
You do get some flex in the L arm, especially thinner ones, so you can get more sustain from a direct mount by sliding the drum higher up on the mount. Takes some experimenting to find the best response. Yamaha mounts also vary the response depending on how far out you slide the drum.

Drumprof

I like the Gretsch GTS that come on the Renowns.
I put some on my USA customs. Much better than Rims mounts. Better positioning, doesn’t interfere when changing heads and drums resonate very well. Aesthetically nice looking. I think they are great.

mindmischief

I honestly don't think I have a trained ear to hear whether a direct shell mount is affecting anything. nonetheless im positive ill will still be rocking and having good time on my new kit.

8Mile

Platinum Member
I honestly don't think I have a trained ear to hear whether a direct shell mount is affecting anything.
I think it matters what sound you're going for. Everything about how I ordered my USA Customs was for a singular purpose. I have other drums for other things, but I wanted to get that Elvin/Max sound from these drums. For that (admittedly specialized) purpose, I see no downside to the shell mount. The drum sound I'm chasing was created on drums that had toms mounted on brackets attached directly to the shell. My drums aren't vintage, they're new; but the drums used to record those sounds I'm chasing weren't vintage back then, either.

For me, the mount on the bass drum and the direct-to-shell bracket is perfect. I find it much less work to set up my drums in the positions I need them. I think it looks better. And the sound is still exactly what I want.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. If someone wants a different sound, then it makes sense to explore other options and maybe a direct shell mount is the wrong choice.

vyacheslav

Floor toms have direct mount legs. Three of them. The rack toms would have but one. Seems the floor toms would be inherently dead but they are not. The reason for the rubber gaskets between the shell mount and the shell.

That's true, but the floor tom's weight is resting on the floor with three evenly spaced legs, so there isn't nearly as much stress per bracket or the shell as a whole as opposed to a rack tom that has 100% of it's weight supported by a small bracket on one side. Also, floor toms are bigger and have much more resonance to offset any brackets drilled to them. A small 10" tom doesn't have that luxury.

NouveauCliche

View attachment 89918

I just scored this baby, I was curious about that Tom Tom, it's factory mounted/drilled instead of having a brace/ bracket. Ive never seen that on a modern gretsch, how rare is that?
That's an awesome set! I loveee it!

I have to admit - I'm a fan of this retro direct to shell mount / tom mount on the bass drum / floor tom legs directly into the shell... I'm digging this.

Yes - I understand why suspension mounting exists...I've seen videos from Gauger literally showing the shell bend a bit with things like the yamaha YESS nodal points lugs - but there's something magical about the simplicity of the hardware on a kit like this that I dig.

At this point - I've seen so many heads and accessories that are designed to DAMPEN tone and resonance anyways - the only concern I'd have is shell longevity - but I suspect that unless someone is a basher - serious, serious basher that the shell will be fine for a long time.

That's the cool thing about drums - we all have preferences and we can all own and buy what we want! :)