Facebook Marketplace

Lee-Bro

No, I'm not talking about the new dating feature on Facebook.

So I've sold a few things on FB's marketplace w/o any issues. You still get the occasional goober offering you 50% of your listed price even when you've said it's firm. Well, yesterday I had a guy offer me $400 for my NIB Pearl Export kit (listed for $650 there and here BTW) and I told him no. He asked my bottom dollar and I told him $650, just as the ad says. He got shitty about it and ended up reporting my ad to FB as a violation of their standards. So I had to fill out their form explaining why it doesn't violate the standards.

I've experienced this on Craigslist before, where someone flags your post because you won't negotiate on price. This was the first time it's happened on FB -though I'm guessing it won't be the last.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I have used both Marketplace and Craigslist and have had great success, except for one clown but I blocked him and peace was restored. My ads all say firm. I have negotiated on a few. I have never had luck at the grocery store trying that and that's what I tell them.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
The older I get the more I hate haggling with people over a car, musical instrument, etc. especially when they don't seem realistic. You can tell them what you can buy it new, what's the going price for used, etc, but still they want 10k for drum kit that was 2k new. I'm all for paying a fair profit margin, but disdain being gouged. You realize any savings you get is likely at the expense of another buyer not the seller. To the buyer beware is an understatement. Probably why now I just give my old drum stuff away rather than sell it-it just isn't worth the hassle it seems. I gave away my old truck come think of it-so the hassle applies to everything it seems. Don't think I'm getting all philanthropic in my old age. Naw just don't like the hassle truthfully (can't steal that glory like Larry and others who give with a good heart). I'm just lazy-so slothful. Yeah I'm a piece of crap but without crap it would be one constipated world LOL.

Last edited:

Lee-Bro

I have used both Marketplace and Craigslist and have had great success, except for one clown but I blocked him and peace was restored. My ads all say firm. I have negotiated on a few. I have never had luck at the grocery store trying that and that's what I tell them.
Ditto to the portion in bold - I say, "firm and fair" and reference prices for the same thing elsewhere that are more than what I have listed.

Some people just don't read or think they're some master deal maker - these are probably the same people who buy the books and tapes about how to buy a house with no money down and writing your own contract after attending a 2-hour "workshop" on the topic.

picodon

Silver Member
I negotiate frequently with clients. Some will never stop trying to get the price down lower and lower. You should never reward that behavior or it won't stop. I will never make an effort if they don't make an effort. For every discount I ask something in return. I don't say no a lot. 650. 400? OK for 400 but without the cymbals. You choose.

"How low will you go?" that's a classic. Don't ever give an intelligible answer. Before they ask that question, ask them how high they will go. :) It's a great time saver.

Always keep in mind that if they picked your ad, they must think the price is not far off. The rest is just a game.

Last edited:

Lee-Bro

Frankly, I'm done w/ the haggling, which is why whenever I sell something I always state the price is firm and have no need to sell said piece. I'll also include references to prices on the same thing (when possible) that are higher than mine. I'll check ebay and reverb.com (again, if possible) for recent prices on recently sold items.

Now when someone asks if the price is negotiable or I'm flexible on price, I tell them "Yes, I'm willing to go up 10%."

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I usually ask one time, "What's your bottom dollar you'd go on this?" I'm good with any response though whether they take of 50% or keep it the same. It never hurts to ask unless the person was adamant about getting a firm price.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Make an offer, accept a counter offer or move on. I sold a wood router yesterday, and showed the guy on my iPhone my Amazon receipt, and he paid with no objection. He knew it was fair.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
When listing multiple items many people, me, put $1. in the price box because the listing needs a place holder. One guy drove 30 minutes to see me, we spent 30 minutes talking woodworking, and when he was ready to leave he handed me a dollar and I said no, it's $60. He said what happened to $1.00. I thought OMG. He left with out the item.