Exports to Gretsch Catalina maple, worth the upgrade?

Tone Laborer

EDIT- I ended up picking up a set of gently used Renown Maples instead.

There's a used Catalina maple 3 pc. shell pack currently available. 22x18, 12x9, 14x14. No tom mount. $375. Burgundy finish, the floor tom looks different , but might just be the photo.

I'm on Pearl Exports now. Technically, I really don't NEED a new kit, but I've been eyeing this one, nonetheless.

I know they would be an upgrade to the Pearls, but enough of one? Or keep saving for something more in the 1000-1200 used range?

https://austin.craigslist.org/msg/6143309869.html

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother. The floor tom is a different finish. I don't like the Peal hardware, and I don't like the Gretsch hardware either. The Catalina Maple I had 10 years ago sounded fine, but the mounting hardware was cheap and susceptible to failure. I gig several times a week and the hardware was not up to snuff.

Thanks for the 2 replies, Kamak and Clutch, appreciate it. Yeah, if a new kit is a "bother," that's a dead give away. Ha. Though there's no real hardware in the deal, except floor tom legs.

I've seen those Yamaha Stage Customs as well, which seem like a decent deal.

I know the Stage Customs have a good reputation. The two SC kits I've played didn't really impress me more than my current Exports, but both situations were compromised--one in a store, and the other a house kit, with old heads. I'm sure they can sound good.

McDonald's hamburger or Burger King hamburger? Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic?

Hamburgers: Depends on the smell, look and taste.
Cars: Depends on the way it fits my body and the color.

But you make a good point.

A few months ago I went to see Canned Heat. The drummer was using an old cheap looking Pearl Export set. The drums sounded good.
I wondered if Pearl Drum Company in any way was providing support for the drummer. The drummer was Adolfo De La Parra.

Never mind the Exports, how was the guy's falsetto holding up after 50 years!? Good to hear they're still out playing.

I take it your answer is no.

I figured out what was bugging me about the Stage Customs for sale, KamaK referenced. Chrome hoops with black lugs?

Those were a short lived version of Stage Customs with plastic Nouveau lugs. Avoid at all costs.

Those are the kind of SC's I got. The plastic Black lugs. Still the drums sound good. I got a 5 piece shell pack for $300, and they sound really good using pinstripes over Classic Clears for the mounted toms & a g12 over CC on the floor tom. But it would be a lateral step for you though. I own two other lateral steps too, but it is nice having different sets to play.

Ahh!!! Burn with fire!!!

Sorry I missed that.

Speaking of fire, you should buy a new drum set and save the Exports.
You might need them if you end up in a Green Day tribute band.

I don't know what the Pearl Export shells are made of. Are they poplar? Basswood? Maple?

If your Exports are maple, then it's a lateral move. If you exports are poplar, luan, or basswood, it would be a move upwards.

If you are looking to move up more drastically and have the patience, just save your money. There are a ton of great drum sets to be had for a few hundred more.

yup a few years ago I went from 80's Pearl Exports to a set of Gretsch Catalina maples. To me it was a step up, but it's not a huge step. I liked them, they had a nice sound and finish, and were much lighter to move around and resonated more. Nice drums. But it's not an earth shattering improvement. Buy them if you like them.

Others have recommended making a bigger jump - Mapex Saturns, Gretsch Renowns, etc - real high midrange / semi pro kits. That is actual step up, but more money. Up to you to try a set somewhere and decide if it's worth it for the extra money.

The Export BD and 12 tom are poplar, circa early 2000s and the floor tom is luan, and older. They sound fine for my purposes, I'm just jonesing.

I got them all for $140, then spent the real money on everything else. Now that I have the other bases covered, it's getting on time to upgrade the shells, me thinks. But some are not in agreement.

If those Stage Customs had been piano black with chrome I would have taken a look. Thanks for the warnings. I've seen several older stage customs for sale, as I understand it, the older ones aren't birch. I could be wrong.

Thanks for the input, and sorry for another what to buy thread, but it is a drum forum and shy boy goes home lonely.

Back