Explain kick beater weights

rocker261

I've got a two-part question about kick pedal beater weights on the shafts... I just purchased some new DW beaters for some older Yamaha pedals I have. The DW beaters came with beater weights for the shafts that you can move up or down, or remove entirely.

1. The DW 5000 pedals I have do not have weights on the shafts, just that sort of memory lock (which I assume is not a weight like the ones above). Are the weights meant for "normal" or "common" players, or are they used to achieve a certain action on the pedals? IE, correct me if I'm wrong, but most people don't use beater weights?

2. What are the physics of the weights? What are they designed to accomplish? What is the result of moving them higher or lower on the shaft? Is there a downside to using them?

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
Moving the beater weight up the shaft will make the whole operation seem heavier the farther up the shaft you move it. This is good for when you play a small kick and must make the beater shorter. You can retain the longer feel with the weight.

On the contrary, if the beater is too heavy, you can put the weight under the beater holder to counteract the weight if there is enough shaft sticking out.

Oh yeah, force = mass x acceleration
In the kick drum beater world, that means more power, or a bigger BOOM.

You can also use them as a training tool for double kick if you so please.