Experts??????????

Andy

Honorary Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT2kE3ffT48

Crap like this is what I'm mildly ranting about. When I encounter drummers who clearly have no idea how to tune a kit, I often think it's because they just can't be bothered to learn/experiment, or they're new to drumming, or they have no ear skills. But maybe they did take time to find out stuff - the wrong stuff!

"Slightly better, which is what you want" - yeah right! I strive relentlessly for slightly better. Experts eh :(

Andy, best to simply put that video on your 'ignore mentally' list, haha.
At least the YouTube feedback mirrors the quality of this thing - is it done by an Expert Village Expert? That would be an explanation...

Actually crappy stuff like this adds to the statistics so the higher quality tutorials get some extra appreciation.
(At least that's my guess, being a non-Expert Village non-expert.)

Andy what's your problem? I like the sound!!!
I'd be happy if my bassdrum would sound like that...

No of course I don't .. :)
Actually, it's sad how many of those videos
are around the internet.. There should be a judge..

Not sure what's worse, his statement of "Ok.. maybe it needs tuning" or "...sound is echoey..." He should look that word up and tell me where to find it in a dictionary.

Then "..... shove something in there...." I'd prefer to try shoving him in there but he shoves the blanket in there. Thank goodness not his "aunties underwear".

I'm shocked he didn't take it one step further and remove the ported head.

The worse part is some kid is going to watch this and think it's all fine and good.

Proof that the internet world, is as full of mis- information, pretender- fools, and bull- doodles as much as it is a repository of useful knowledge...

... kinda like real life.

Invite this man to a Guru demo?? : )

Show him what a bass drum can sound like without his aunty's underwear.

Andy, best to simply put that video on your 'ignore mentally' list, haha.
Agreed Arky, but my point is, I can ignore that, because I know it's poor. I have the advantage of some prior knowledge, or at least, a more complete picture. It's the poor guys starting out who have no benchmark.

Andy what's your problem? I like the sound!!!
I'd be happy if my bassdrum would sound like that...
I know you're joking David, but it's not the sound that bothers me. Actually, it's a totally valid sound in some circumstances, it's the quality of advice that bugs me, & especially the lack of context.

The worse part is some kid is going to watch this and think it's all fine and good.
And that's my issue right there David! I encountered much of this recently when doing sound for a wide selection of bands. The level of sheer ignorance was quite high - but I can live with that. It's the couple of players who actually believed they were 100% right, & that their method (if you can call it that) was the only way!

Andy, be glad he didn't use a Guru kick for the demo....
True, but it doesn't matter how good the drum is, a complete tool can still make it sound bad :(

Invite this man to a Guru demo?? : )

Show him what a bass drum can sound like without his aunty's underwear.

sorry Abe, we posted at the same time :)

As for your first suggestion, I think not, although I am tempted to put a tuning video together one day - maybe. There are some good demo's out there, but they're in the minority. Maybe a Guru specific tuning video?

The real problem is that people like me have a hard time determining some of the good tutorials from the bad. Of course this one, even I can tell us horrible but tuning is the bane of my existence and trying to learn how to do it well has been very difficult for me. So I look for help but the info out there is confusing. Honestly, I just don't have a good tuning ear. It's hard for me to catch all the little nuances.

So here's a question. Is there a source out there that you would consider the definitive or best instruction on tuning?

Excellent tutorial!

If I may offer my humble addition to the fine material presented, I believe blankets are more elegant than sheets and have superior muting properties. In addition, the bed linen should be ironed and neatly folded for a professional look.

One must also consider design. Paisley is terribly dated. Pin stripes are rather stuffy, although acceptable for corporate gigs. Plaid and Argyle are too conservative for most dates. Florals are simply naff. Regimental stripes are too private school. Slap yourself for even considering it.

Recommended designs would be: Celtic Knots for an exotic British mystique, ideal for bands like Gloryhammer or Spinal Tap. Try abstract, Art Deco and/or a painted look for the "arty vibe". Patchwork and plain, muted colours are ideal for blues and country gigs. And of course you can't go wrong with classic black.

Most importantly, be yourself and make sure you find the right blanket for YOU!

As a struggling musician I cannot afford my own linen. I asked my mom if I could borrow her quilt but she said no! I really need an expert on bedding acquisition to assist me before I can fully utilize the techniques of the bass drum tuning expert.

In all seriousness, I am terrible at tuning drums. I am the guy who has kept the torque key, drum dial, tune-bot, etc in business. Much like Mary I lack the ear to hear the nuances required for properly tuning drums. My drums pretty much sound flat all the time because I have mastered that sound. That being said, I am pretty sure I am as much of an expert as this guy. Maybe I'll make a video now.

Tuning is easy once you know how, but finding the right way is difficult. My brother in law years ago showed me a site online how to tune, some tuning bible gurus or something (not Andy). it was so laborious and time consuming we laughed. im sure it was the exact proper way for some but it really doesn't have to be that difficult. Too many beginners struggle to tune simply because the drum resonates when they hit it and they think that's bad. out comes the duct tape and padding and the drums are just killed. once they learn to play them with no damping laundry inside, they can start to realize that that little bit of sustain you hear while tuning, quickly decays and isn't heard playing live.

Mary, best tuning advice I ever learned was to crank the bottom heads first. get a note/sound from the bottom that is actually higher pitched than what you want the top head to sound like. it will really bring out the best tone in any drum.

Excellent tutorial!

If I may offer my humble addition to the fine material presented, I believe blankets are more elegant than sheets and have superior muting properties. In addition, the bed linen should be ironed and neatly folded for a professional look.

One must also consider design. Paisley is terribly dated. Pin stripes are rather stuffy, although acceptable for corporate gigs. Plaid and Argyle are too conservative for most dates. Florals are simply naff. Regimental stripes are too private school. Slap yourself for even considering it.

Recommended designs would be: Celtic Knots for an exotic British mystique, ideal for bands like Gloryhammer or Spinal Tap. Try abstract, Art Deco and/or a painted look for the "arty vibe". Patchwork and plain, muted colours are ideal for blues and country gigs. And of course you can't go wrong with classic black.

None of that stuff even compares to a Snuggie though!

Do they even have those things on your side of the world?

They could probably sell even more if they marketed them as bass drum mufflers too...

You're all snobs. I like shoving things in my bass drum. I used a rain jacket in my 24" Slingerland when I had it. It went "thud" after that. Just because you guys can afford $2000 bass drums and such...

It's a shame,because guys like that ,prepetuate ignorance,and laziness.

Why learn to tune...just stuff some laundry in the drum.....

If it works for bass drums,then it'll work for toms and snare drums too.

The proliferation of ignorance,is part and parcel to anyone with a camera and a computer these days it seems.

The stream of the information age, seems to have hit a log jamb.

Why do it the right way ,when the wrong way is so much easier,and leaves you much more Nintendo time?

Steve B

So in your own words.... at least for the Pearl Traveller....

"My bass drum is useful for holding dirty laundry - two blankets, a towel, bed linen, a doona, four tops, two pairs of jeans, six pairs of knickers, three bras and seven socks (not sure where the other sock is). Not bad for a 16"! "

... not bad at all Polly, but it might sound a bit dead and flat, at least each bass drum thud will sent a mixed scent to the audience :)

@ Andy: I'm no expert by any means, but the 20x12 cappucino bass drum is a true revelation, probably the best sounding and responsive BD I played in my entire life, but hey, what do I know, eh? (I still trust my ears though)

I guess he would hate my bass drum. A dull thud is nothing like mine. I get a loud BOOM from my bass and it shakes the building. I get compliments everywhere I play, but what do I know. This guy is obviously a professional, after all, he is on YouTube

Not having a lot of experience playing live,but when I do I have learned that a booming echo sound blended with the music in front of the audience in a way that fits. How can you tune a dull thud??

Back