Experimental- Stand Clear

wraub

...in my fairly brief tenure as a guy with drums, I have managed to acquire a lot of drumming stuff. Like, a surprising amount, tbh. A recent thread here https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/and-then-there-was-one.170832/page-2 got me to thinking, and some things will be sold off. (Thanks, @Bo Eder ) :) .

My first cymbals, however, may have possibilities. They are not great (Meinl HCS), but, the 13" hats are actually pretty good, and the 12" China is definitely useful.
However, I do have a crash and a pair of 8" splash cymbals that sound about how you'd think they would. They served a purpose, but... yeah. There's also an Agazarian crash, just for good measure.

My options are- sell them on to another starting drummer in search of targets; donate to a school or music program for same; or, break out the hammers and drills (with full updates posted here, of course). :D I have a garage work space, and many tools. ;)

They cost me very little (pawn shop), so are a fairly guilt free choice, regardless. I am curious about the possible potential reward of somehow managing to improve these, but, then again, kids and music. :) That said, I don't even know how long, or even if, such programs will take to come back around.

What would you do?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Drill and hammer here. I'm all about modifying/making stuff. If you go this route and make holey cymbals, use a step bit. They are designed specifically for thin metal. If a standard bit catches once it breaks through the other side, it can break your bit or, even worse, spin the part or tool and injure you.

You could also donate to a needy drummer kid. That seems more satisfying to me than a church or school donation.

C.M. Jones

Generally, I give equipment away when I no longer desire it. There are a lot of up-and-coming drummers out there with limited means, and they appreciate philanthropy. I see it as a donation to the field of drumming.

There are exceptions, however. Feeling done with metal snares, I just sold my 14"x5" Pearl Sensitone Aluminum. I was able to recover about sixty percent of the original cost. I'll be using the proceeds for a backup Pearl wood snare soon, maybe one identical to my current snare but in a different finish. I never own more than two snares at a time.

P

Peedy

HS I teach at (Er, used to teach at) has A. Zildjians on their music dept kit. I wouldn’t go that route as music teachers are pros themselves and can sniff out entry level gear like dogs at the communal tree.

Pete

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Before you decide to drill, cut, or permanently modify a cymbal, go check out https://www.youtube.com/user/rdavidr and see if you think (a.) if there any remarkable results from doing so and (b.) if these results are worth your time. IMO, it's not worth the effort. Plus, you are absolutely killing any sort of resale value by doing so, even on cheap cymbals.

mikyok

Platinum Member
There's always schools that will take donations.

I gave a kit to a school last year, nice to give something back and hopefully someone gets way better than me on them.

Failing that keep em for practices/jam nights