Experimental gig recording rig.

Andy

Honorary Member
I'm playing a gig in a stunning location this coming Monday (public holiday UK). The venue is inside the (still mostly intact) ruins of a castle, & we're finishing the night. Great concert stage too, so I was keen to get a recording (video + audio). No possibility of a PA hookup unfortunately, so I threw together this collection of stuff to record over the heads of the audience from somewhere near the desk position. I've made it high enough to account for a ground level situation if that's what's on offer, & of course, self contained.

Anyhow, here's a couple of pictures. Good quality Canon for stage front closeup, Zoom Q8 for wide angle. Audio via the built in Zoom capsule plus a pair of high mounted Rode NT5s also linked to the Q8. I'll share results here so long as it all doesn't crap out for some reason.
Gig camera setup close.jpgGig camera setup.jpg

Probably won’t make much difference ... but if you can move the mic heads right next to each other (still 90° splay) you can reduce a little phase shift.

Probably won’t make much difference ... but if you can move the mic heads right next to each other (still 90° splay) you can reduce a little phase shift.
I agree but perhaps he's using the ORTF technique?

Andy, do you have a plan to reduce room effect (e.g., too much reverb or slap-back) if it exists?

I'll push them back in the holders once I set it up - should get me somewhere close.
I agree but perhaps he's using the ORTF technique?

Andy, do you have a plan to reduce room effect (e.g., too much reverb or slap-back) if it exists?
Not really, in fact, as the venue is unique, I'm hoping to capture the vibe as it is. Here's a shot of last year's event to offer some context. As you can see, it's essentially an open air gig, but I do expect some interesting reflection from the wall structure.
464_EV-castell-roc.jpg

Andy, nice rigging job on the set up. To be on the safe side, I would sand bag it enough so nobody can accidentally knock it over.

Back