Exercises to make your arms less tired?

TNA

The last month or so my arms have been getting really tired while playing. I can only make it through maybe 2 fairly demanding songs before I have to take a break for a few minutes. Is there some exercise like push ups or lat pulls that could help to make my arms less tired. Do I even need to build more muscle or just exercise more? I'm a bit overweight and should be exercising overall just to help increase my stamina, but anything specific for arms?

PQleyR

Platinum Member
If your arms are getting tired I reckon you're using them too much in your playing, in all likelihood. Putting some time into increasing your wrist and finger strength would mean you wouldn't need to use your arms nearly so much. Arms aren't really that important for actually playing strokes, they are more of a means for your hands to get around.

helmetface

Really great reply from PQ, I agree that the only reason your arms need to be moving much is to get from voice to voice.

When I first started drumming I was experiencing some very strong pains in my wrists and forearms. I am in pretty decent shape..maybe not as far as my cardio, but my limbs are quite built from the work I do daily.

You need to seriously examine exactly how it is you're playing and how it differs from drummers that drum on an every day, several hours a day basis. After a much needed break to allow my arms to recover I began practicing slowly with just fingers, my fingers very quickly surpassed what my arms would ever be able to do, and no pains to boot!

You want to use as little movement as possible, its not as much about muscle as it is about finesse and proper movements.

Good Luck

PeteN

Silver Member
The last month or so my arms have been getting really tired while playing. I can only make it through maybe 2 fairly demanding songs before I have to take a break for a few minutes. Is there some exercise like push ups or lat pulls that could help to make my arms less tired. Do I even need to build more muscle or just exercise more? I'm a bit overweight and should be exercising overall just to help increase my stamina, but anything specific for arms?

I was about 100lbs overweight about 4 years ago and had a hard time doing anything physical without getting tired almost immediately so I can understand your situation whether your 25lbs over weight or 100lbs over weight.

Now....proper technique should be a goal of every musician but also proper diet and exercise are just as important for us drummers. I took off about 25lbs a year over the last 4 years and now i usually walk a few miles in the morning and a few miles at night.

My guitarist and bassist are both over weight by a lot and they are sweating up a storm simply standing there playing there guitars and my sweating has greatly decreased to almost nothing since I lost weight and exercise regularly now, but I will say that I'm always working on technique as well.

In my opinion....diet, exercise, and technique are all necessary.

Not sure if this is the answer you were looking for but thought I would share my experience with you, best wishes!