Exercises to internalize, 16th note triplets and 32nd notes?

Bachkippe24

Hi

Does anybody know some good exercises to internalize those note values?
Its easy for me to play 16th to a metronome, but i really struggle with 16th note triplets and 32nd notes especially if i play a beat on top and try to play them with my bass drum.

Thx for your help

Boomka

Platinum Member
Hi

Does anybody know some good exercises to internalize those note values?
Its easy for me to play 16th to a metronome, but i really struggle with 16th note triplets and 32nd notes especially if i play a beat on top and try to play them with my bass drum.

Thx for your help
Play quarter notes using single strokes along with a metronome @ 40 BPM and subdivide into 16th-note triplets or 32nd notes internally and/or with your voice. Alternately, play 1/8ths with your hands in the same way and subdivide internally/with your voice.

Here's a hint: if you can hear 1/8ths and triplets against a 1/4 note pulse, you should have no problem playing 16th triplets or 32nds against an 1/8 note pulse, either played or imagined.

When you're comfortable signing them against a 1/4 or 1/8th pulse, then play them with the metronome clicking one of those two options.

Otto

Platinum Member
for me, its all what I am singing in my head(or outloud if you are unfortunate enough to catch me on such a day ; )

I have practiced getting what I am singing onto the drums by "singing" straight 16ths(or 32nd...or whatever) and picking one specific note of the grouping to express on a drum...

...so singing the 16ths in my head while playing the 1st 16th on the snare. then move to the second 16th on the snare...and so on...Then work on 32nds in the same way(or concieving of it as simple 3, 2, 5 7 instead of 16ths or 32nds ...etc...all depending on where in my relative time feel I was feeling the weakness) - then move the pattern around which limb/intrument I play the beat on.

I think "funky primer" suggests singing the basic time??(or was it Gary Chesters educational materials?)..please correct me if I am wrong...and the concept of displacement is fleshed out in Gavin Harrison's educational offerings.

This exercise method really gave me a change in congruence between what I was hearing in my head an what I was hearing in the recording of myself.

...and I suggest working at slower paces until you hear exactly what you expect from the recording of yourself....then move the tempo up.

WhoIsTony?

if you can play 16th notes you can play 32nd notes .... if you half your pulse you are playing 32nd notes

same for sextuplets ... if you can play 8th note trips you can play sextups.... if you half your pulse

for example ....if you play 16th notes to a met signaling quarters.... imagine your quarter note is an 8th note and magically you are playing 32nd notes

there is no difference unless you are in the process of subdividing

I recommend running the table of time at about 40 bpm up to the 32nds and back.... skipping the quarter trips, 5s, and 7s.

it really is the only way to become perfectly comfortable with switching subdivisions