Exercises to help aging drummers carry heavy kits

Well it depends on age-younger can handle more cardiovascular stress-over 65 you should really walk. I haven't walked in ages (because knees and hip) and I can tell-have skinny bird legs now. So just started back walking with wife again. I do exercises from Harry Wong's Dynamic Tension and I do cheating push ups.

Hire this gal.

J5A9661-1WEB_1080x.JPG

Assuming no existing health concerns - to start I'd consider walking regularly to develop strength and endurance in legs, hips and lower back , then some push ups, sit ups and planks.

For lifting the gear mind your back and knees. Form is key:

P.S. Consult your Dr. first

Last edited:
The gym is the best place to get into shape, combine that with a healthy diet and fit happens.

As for gear haulage get a trolley/cart to wheel your stuff in and out. That's gonna be my next purchase if I ever gig again. Nothing to do with age, gig smart! You can do your back in at any age.

Also become a disciple of the Max Weinberg setup, to quote the man himself,

"I've got four drums. Anything more is redundant. Besides, I tend to trip over things."

Maybe not so much currently. Not here anyway.

Touche!

Right in the feels man! I train 5 or 6 times a week and having to use resistance bands at home blows! I worked my arse off (literally) between July when they reopened and two weeks ago when they close.

I'm lucky I've got miles of canal towpath to walk on my doorstep for cardio.

Being married to a dietitian who's job it is to put weight on people doesn't help either!

LOL just thought I’d post this in response to all the threads about lighter kits.

But it’s sort of half-serious
Push Pull this is a very good post, with me its fustrating when you feel you are playing better now, in many ways,but at 66 you battle muscle cramps,aches and pains,the clock is ticking and you have to balance these things,oh well things could be much worse ! Right now i do lower body exercises, and have been doing Yoga the last 15 yrs , and yoga has helped my fluidity,stamina,and mind set behind the kit . Thanks

Push Pull this is a very good post, with me its fustrating when you feel you are playing better now, in many ways,but at 66 you battle muscle cramps,aches and pains,the clock is ticking and you have to balance these things,oh well things could be much worse ! Right now i do lower body exercises, and have been doing Yoga the last 15 yrs , and yoga has helped my fluidity,stamina,and mind set behind the kit . Thanks

Long-time practitioner of yoga also and I fully agree.

I supplement yoga with tabata kettlebell exercises and cardio work and at 44 I’m in the best shape of my life and strong.

Its also really important to have a good diet, drink plenty of water, and aim for 6-8 hours of sleep.

Yoga did it for me. I'm 50 & I found just staying loose & limber helped with the weird angles one might have to do to adjust the cymbal height or lift the rack tom a bit higher from the throne.
Getting a roller cart was a game changer as well as making sure you're at the venue with enough time to set up without having to rush.

Besides just living a healthy life, push ups are probably among the best strength exercise you can do without weights. It works many muscles in your body but most importantly it works your core and upper body. Do those and you'll be able to carry your own gear for years.

I practice carrying my kit out and loading it up in my car then unloading it and carrying it back into the house every day to keep in shape for the gigs.

I'm surprised the ambulance and the men in white coats haven't come to take you away.

Back