Exercises for Drum Set mobility

lxh039

I've been drumming for a few years now, but I've never had an instructor. Most of my practice materials come from the exercises in Stick Control and A Funky Primer. This has been great for developing my skills on the snare and for bass drum independence, but once I start trying to improv fills and move my grooves onto the toms, I go full retarded. :) Can anyone recommend a good, classic instructional book with exercises for improving mobility around the set? Thanks ahead of time.

Magenta

Platinum Member
Re: Good exercises for developing mobility around the set?

"Drum Set Warm-ups" by Rod Morgenstein. Helps you to feel more comfortable and more fluid around the kit. I noticed a big difference very quickly, and other people remarked how much more relaxed I looked once I started using it.

mandrew

Gold Member

I agree with the previous comment, and would also suggest using stick control and spreading those exersizes over a wider range. Spread it to two, then three, etc.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member

Take some of the patterns from stick control, and apply them around the kit.

TheDrumster

"Drum Set Warm-ups" by Rod Morgenstein. Helps you to feel more comfortable and more fluid around the kit. I noticed a big difference very quickly, and other people remarked how much more relaxed I looked once I started using it.
+1

Excellent book.

Hewitt2

Take some of the patterns from stick control, and apply them around the kit.
+1. It's no exaggeration to state that stick control has all you will ever really need (hands, feet, accents, etc.). It's one heck of an investment for $10!

lsits

Gold Member

I got the Drum Set Warmups book a couple of weeks ago and can already tell the difference. I'm only up to lesson three and I feel more confident and am moving around the kit with 15 - 20 minutes of the warmups at the start of my practice sessions. I've also noticed that I view practice as more of something I enjoy and that I want to do as opposed to something that I have to do. I am practicing more days per week and more hours per day.

Aeolian

Platinum Member

I think one of the biggest things is to learn to lead with either hand. So while you're practicing those stick control patterns, use the reverse part to run the other way on the kit. The lead hand goes in the direction of the drum away from the second hand.

I use linear fills more often that straight rolls up and down the toms. But being able to reverse the pattern in the middle makes voicing the fill easier.

JimFiore

Silver Member

I think one of the biggest things is to learn to lead with either hand. So while you're practicing those stick control patterns, use the reverse part to run the other way on the kit. The lead hand goes in the direction of the drum away from the second hand.
I have found this to be invaluable. It lets you do so much more. I seem to recall that Morgenstein's book has reversing patterns.