Exchange my Mapex Horizon 4 Meridian Maple?

Piebe

I have bought a Mapex Horizon kit recently and i am quite happy with it except that the finish seems a little cheap and i don't really like the snare eventhough i pitched it the way i like it and i also use my favorite remo coated heads. So i was thinking to put down a little money and exchange my Horizon for the Meridian Maple. My questions are these: is it worth the money or should i invest in a different snare and keep the rest of the Horizon kit? And how is the snare of the Meridian Maple kit? And is the kickdrum the same size (18") as the Horizon? I'm kind of new to buying a kit cause i could never afford it and would like to settle for once and for all. The saturn is out of my reach and i am looking for the best kit for my money, which is about 1100 euro. Please help me!

Didn't you just buy this recently? If you like the bass drum and toms, you may just want to buy a better snare. Snares that come with less-expensive drum sets are often the worst drum. Many drummers have more snares than sets. Peace, goodwill, and blues.

The meridian is a big step up from the horizon. Though I'm not sure if they sell 18" bass drums. Meridians well be a great long lasting kit that you'll always find use for and the snare is a lot better though you might want to invest in a separate snare. You should really go and play one somewhere though before you make up your mind.

Thanks for the replies.

I really only need one snare that fits my preference which is a dry stroke with no resonance nor sustain. The snare of the Horizon almost has it, but not quite.

Another thing is that i only need to invest about 250 euro to buy the Meridian Maple, but if the snare still doesn't fit my needs....

I've weight out the pro's and cons and decided to keep the kit which i haven't even got a week. I have my Horizon snare for sale and hope to find somebody who does like it so i can invest in a snare that fits my desires. Naturally i always play them before i definitely buy them. It so happened that i went to the store to get a Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz and wound up with a Mapex Horizon, namely because of the hardware and the sound of the toms.

I really only need one snare that fits my preference which is a dry stroke with no resonance nor sustain.

There is no such thing. You achieve that sound through tuning combined with some type of muffling, be it built into the head or external.

Buy yourself some Moongel or some studio rings and keep your snare.

Well, if that is really the case then it has my preference being the poor bum i am. So you are basically saying i can make this snare sound good by tuning and muffling?

Which Horizon kit do you have that has an 18" bass. I think the only one available here is with the HZB 'Big City' kit, but you hardly ever see them.

Anyways, yes, if you want a dry, no resonance, no sustain, snare sound, you should be able to get that with muffling and tuning.

It is indeed the HZB big city kit, i was unaware of this.

12011.jpg

Thanks for the replies, i'm keeping this set for now.

Last edited:
It is indeed the HZB big city kit, ....

Thanks for the replies, i'm keeping this set for now.

That's a neat little kit - give it a chance, and work with it a bit. I'm not sure how different the snare on the Meridian would be.
Not sure I get nickjd's comment either. The difference between the 2 kits is mainly sizes - 18 vs. 20 kick, and 10/12 toms vs. 8/10. Pretty sure the floor toms are 14 vs. 12 too.
I like the Big City kit sizes better.

That's a neat little kit - give it a chance, and work with it a bit. I'm not sure how different the snare on the Meridian would be.
Not sure I get nickjd's comment either. The difference between the 2 kits is mainly sizes - 18 vs. 20 kick, and 10/12 toms vs. 8/10. Pretty sure the floor toms are 14 vs. 12 too.
I like the Big City kit sizes better.
I like the Big City kit sizes better too, it was exactly what i am looking for cause i love small kits. I thought the Meridian Maple kit had a 18" kickdrum too, which isn't the case, so now i am positive i will keep mine. Glad i opened this topic it has made things clear to me. :)

That kit is definitely too cute too discard. Sweet. Glad you're keeping it.
Thank you, i'll treasure it from now on! After all these positive responses i almost feel the need to apologize to the little kit for even considering to toss it. :)

Back