Examples of where highly technical playing works

Frost

Silver Member
Hey guys,

Inspired by a related discussion in a similar thread I felt inclined to start this up. I know there are tons of flashy drum parts and solos out there but often they are great for what they are rather than as a cohesive part of the composition.

Try look at it from outside of drummers perspective, I find we have a tendency to be impressed by things other people find noisy :p

I'll kick it off with this as I'm a huge Reinert fan,

http://youtu.be/bKqvViz4jes

So guys, what are a few other examples of where highly technical playing fits within the framework of the song and actually adds to the music as whole?

Feel free to (respectfully) dispute others suggestions!

Thecowslayer

+1 for Obfuscation and I Dance Alone, they're both pretty amazing songs. As for other stuff, here's my opinion:

Keep it Greasy-Frank Zappa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly79mkffp7M
It has some really crazy time signatures in it, but it still manages to sound real nice, at least, to my perspective.

Tommy the Cat- Primus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4OhIU-PmB8&ob=av3e
It isn't that busy of a song on drums, but they're pretty technical.

Set Fire to the Hive- Karnivool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BXkvLX5gTI&ob=av3e
The drums are really busy, but still manage to fit the song.

aydee

Platinum Member

I find it odd that we catagorize kinds of playing as though it was a personality type.

How about the 'right' kind of playing. It would be fun to see Meg White play with Dream Theater, or Mike Mangini sit in with Bob Dylan...

Is there also an underlying assumption that highly technical playing 'doesnt' work?

MattA

I find it odd that we catagorize kinds of playing as though it was a personality type.

How about the 'right' kind of playing. It would be fun to see Meg White play with Dream Theater, or Mike Mangini sit in with Bob Dylan...

Is there also an underlying assumption that highly technical playing 'doesnt' work?

I think Mangini could slot in with Dylan. He's definitely not a one trick pony. Meg White with Dream Theater on the other hand ... that would have made the recent audition tapes hilarious.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Too many examples to cite - so many prog and fusion and jazz numbers ...

Some very simple sounding drum parts take excellent technique to perform while some busy parts are less difficult. The more notes you play, the less obviously accountable you are for imperfections - when there's a lot of space you have to get it right or it sticks out like dogs' yarbles.

It's obvious that complex drumming will often be required in complex music. Then you have complex parts set to pop music, like Steve Gadd's famous 50 Ways beat.

Good ole Meg ... and if I auditioned for DT it would also be a comedy show, or perhaps a Shakespearean tragedy! So Meg and I gave that one a miss and left it to the heroes :)

aydee

Platinum Member
I think Mangini could slot in with Dylan. He's definitely not a one trick pony. Meg White with Dream Theater on the other hand ... that would have made the recent audition tapes hilarious.
A Lambourghini driving through a paddy field....

Last edited:

MattA

A Lambourghini griving through a paddy field....
Although a lambourhini is built to be flashy and fast, it can also drive slow and steady and look great doing so. Although in a paddy field it may spin its wheels and get bogged... we still talking about drums here? ;P

aydee

Platinum Member
Although a lambourhini is built to be flashy and fast, it can also drive slow and steady and look great doing so. Although in a paddy field it may spin its wheels and get bogged... we still talking about drums here? ;P
Sure.. except the engine will be whining@ 32nd notes while the wheels will be forking out quarter notes. The sheer weight on the engine rocks the slender frame of the car at very low speeds, btw... : 0

.. like Paris Hilton with a tiger in her lap...works, but chihuahua works better

MattA

.. like Paris Hilton with a tiger in her lap...works, but chihuahua works better
Hahaha, I love that somehow you've worked Paris Hilton and a tiger into an analogy about Bob Dylan and Mike Mangini. I'm also sure there's some kind of sexual innuendo surrounding a big pussy in her lap... but we won't go there as it's more likely a reflection of my gutter mind rather than the insightful point you were trying to make.

aydee

Platinum Member
Hahaha, I love that somehow you've worked Paris Hilton and a tiger into an analogy about Bob Dylan and Mike Mangini. I'm also sure there's some kind of sexual innuendo surrounding a big pussy in her lap... but we won't go there as it's more likely a reflection of my gutter mind rather than the insightful point you were trying to make.
Lets, go there! No, but seriously...

Fuo

Platinum Member
What!?! There's a new Cynic album coming out? I really need to start reading a music news site or something...

Frost

Silver Member

There is certainly a stigma where the more complex the drum parts are the more they get viewed as being for the sake of complexity and not musicality. Guitarists get the same thing where any attempt to create technical solos lands up with accusations of creating a widdly widdly shred fest that adds nothing to the music. I was trying to highlight some flashier drum parts with this thread that are a cohesive part of the music, taking a stab at that idea of pointless technicality.

Here is another one I've mentioned before that I feel like pointing out again,

http://youtu.be/XaPTH4O9sSY

What!?! There's a new Cynic album coming out? I really need to start reading a music news site or something...
Surround yourself with more friends who do radio segments and musical journalism :p

check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7scPZS3zfKM

blows my mind every time.
It reminds me a lot of Sebastian Lanser's stuff

Fuo

Platinum Member
This thread reminds me of Bill Bachman's "Nashville Tom Sawyer" thread. While Bill's playing was great, and humorous, I found it boring musically... The drums drive that song and make it what it is, esp. the middle section with the solo(s) and just after...

Along the same lines, a lot of Tool songs have this quality. 46&2, The Grudge, Vicarious, Lateralus, Rosetta Stoned, etc. would not be 1/2 the songs they are with simpler drum parts.

DanJacobs

It works 100%, in a 100% musical situation where eveyones a player