Examples of a 14x8 Snare in a Mix?

organworthyplayer337

I am interested in a purchasing a 14 x 8 snare. But I've heard from a couple posters on various forums that they can disappear in a mix pretty easily. I wanted to see if anyone had a recording that they know a 14 x 8 snare drum was used (or some of your own recordings).

I'm having a hard time finding demos of this size snare in a mix. Just want to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into before I let go of the dough.

Any recording/advice/experience is appreciated,

Thanks!

C.M. Jones

I am interested in a purchasing a 14 x 8 snare. But I've heard from a couple posters on various forums that they can disappear in a mix pretty easily. I wanted to see if anyone had a recording that they know a 14 x 8 snare drum was used (or some of your own recordings).

I'm having a hard time finding demos of this size snare in a mix. Just want to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into before I let go of the dough.

Thanks!
While I'm no proponent of deep snares (give me a 5" or a 5.5" any day), I see no logical reason why they'd get "lost in a mix" by nature of their depth alone. You can tune a deep snare high if you want some snap. It might not sound as focused, as crisp, or as sensitive as a shallower snare, but no mandate condemns 8" shells to loose, thuddy, ballad-like tensions. You can find an 8" shell that grants you plenty of cut if that's the depth you want.

Last edited:

brentcn

Platinum Member

Thanks!
What sort of recorded snare sounds do you like? Always better to start with some concrete examples.

One thing will be certain of a deeper snare: the sounds coming from the snare wires will be a couple of inches farther away from the top snare mic. You might not notice any difference using just your ears, but mics are more sensitive to the increase in distance, even just a couple of inches. Your top mic will seem to have more "crack" and less "snap". So, be prepared to use an underside snare mic as well, when recording, or when micing up in a large club or theater -- if, of course, you like a snare-ey snare.

Hewitt2

Thanks!
Robert Plant - Principle of Moments album. Phil Collins used a 14 x 8 pearl birch snare for that session.

ToneT

That's a new one! "Disappear" from the mix! Houdini Snare Drums!
Like any other depth of snare drum, tune the batter higher if you want it to cut through.
I record snare drums with one mic, mostly, and my 8x14s sound just as crisp as my 6.5x14s.
The high end of the wire response is just as present, regardless of shell depth. That's because of bottom head tighter tuning for crispness.

brentcn

Platinum Member
That's a new one! "Disappear" from the mix! Houdini Snare Drums!
Like any other depth of snare drum, tune the batter higher if you want it to cut through.
I record snare drums with one mic, mostly, and my 8x14s sound just as crisp as my 6.5x14s.
The high end of the wire response is just as present, regardless of shell depth. That's because of bottom head tighter tuning for crispness.
If the mic is not hanging over the edge of the rim, then, yeah you'll probably not notice any change in the amount of snare sound. But if the drum is between the snare wires, and the mic, you will.

drummingbulldog

Thanks!
I could email a track I did if you want to pm your email address.
Sean

drummingbulldog

Mine just sounds like a 6.5x14 as far as snare response is concerned. My Tama sounds great to me. It's one of my favorite wood shell drums that I own. The only reservation I have is that it requires a low snare stand which I can't find at the moment.