Exactly how I remember...

evilg99

Platinum Member
A long time ago, I did a very stupid thing; I got rid of one of the finest drums I had ever owned. A 1970's B&O badge 5 x 14 Ludwig Supraphonic. Recorded an album with it, gigged it, etc. Sold for cash for something else like tires. Ugh.

Fast forward to yesterday - I have a dozen wood snares that I love, and just one metal snare - a Pearl piccolo, Black Nickel over steel.
My local drum shop just got in a new LM400 Supra with the keystone badge, and I didn't even think about it, I pulled the trigger. Now I have two metal snares.

It didn't have the P-85 strainer on it for more than an hour, I bought the P-86 millennium strainer with the drum and swapped it out straight away. Brought that to sound check....really good but the factory weather master head was a bit suspect....put a good 'ol ambassador on top and also a Puresound custom 20 snare on it...ahhh. Exactly what I remember. Something about the fatness of this drum...I think it has a lot to do with the attack, it's like a natural compression. Regardless, I'm in love. Sounds good low, medium, high.

I know that is old news , even somewhat boring....but it's nice to have an LM400 back in my world. I see no need whatsoever for any other metal drums. Maaaayyybe a 6.5 Acro but it can wait. In the interest of 'pics or it didn't happen', here's another one of my famous crappy cell phone pictures taken from the dance floor, you can barely make it out...
The drum sounded great with this kit (pre-yess Yamaha Recording Custom in Quartz Grey, 12/14/20) , but I'm sure it goes with anything, any style.

Attachments

KirbyM

After using wood snare drums for a few years, I put a Ludwig LM400 back in my kit. I don't know why I ever got away from the LM400. Those snare drums sound as good as it gets.

evilg99

Platinum Member
After using wood snare drums for a few years, I put a Ludwig LM400 back in my kit. I don't know why I ever got away from the LM400. Those snare drums sound as good as it gets.
Exactly. I will be gigging this for a long time.
Also, I love having a wood side snare like in that picture above.
I forgot to mention that I also bought my first SKB drum case. I had no idea they were this good. I have PR or Ahead bags for all my other drums , I thought it would be a treat to have one SKB, and it will keep the LM400 top notch for years to come. Now I'm considering a full SKB set...

Neal

tamadrm

Platinum Member
If they ever put a gun to my head and made me give up all of my snares except for one.....that would be the one.My 65 keystone with flaking ,pitting and all.Love the BB but if there is one that can do it all,and do it well,the LM 400 supra phonic is it. :)

Steve B

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
If they ever put a gun to my head and made me give up all of my snares except for one.....that would be the one.My 65 keystone with flaking ,pitting and all.
Me too mate.

The first drum I ever played and being given my old mans spare 400 has meant that I've never had to play a crappy snare drum in all the time I've been playing. Mine seldom gets used these days, but its sentimental value to me (not to mention that distinctly familiar sound) makes it totally irreplaceable and the last posession on earth I'd ever consider giving up.

Welcome back evilg!!

evilg99

Platinum Member
Me too mate.

The first drum I ever played and being given my old mans spare 400 has meant that I've never had to play a crappy snare drum in all the time I've been playing. Mine seldom gets used these days, but its sentimental value to me (not to mention that distinctly familiar sound) makes it totally irreplaceable and the last posession on earth I'd ever consider giving up.

Welcome back evilg!!
Thanks! Feels (uh, sounds) like home...
N