Everybody's Kit Looks Cooler Than Mine

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Always. I set my drums up from the driver's seat. I keep things low. When I look at them from the front I'm never happy. Yet whenever I see pictures of others' kits, I'm never displeased with what i see.* This is not a brand/color/size/hardware style thing. It's just a positioning thing. Is it just me?

*tom angles kits not included. That falling down Daru Jones kit either. He's a monster, but his kit LOOKS funny.

yammyfan

Have you tried setting up so that your drums look pleasing and then play like that for a couple of hours to see if you could get used to it?

NouveauCliche

Always. I set my drums up from the driver's seat. I keep things low. When I look at them from the front I'm never happy. Yet whenever I see pictures of others' kits, I'm never displeased with what i see.* This is not a brand/color/size/hardware style thing. It's just a positioning thing. Is it just me?

*tom angles kits not included. That falling down Daru Jones kit either. He's a monster, but his kit LOOKS funny.
Oh Daru...I get being unique but his kit freaks me OUT.

I think a lot of it could be pictures and angles - maybe not even the kit...but there are some things you can do be aesthetic with tom positioning and cymbals, etc.

Let see your kit man!!

BruceW

Have you tried setting up so that your drums look pleasing and then play like that for a couple of hours to see if you could get used to it?
I agree with this suggestion.

I hated the way my mounted toms looked on my kit in all the photo's I ever saw...I adjusted them to what "looked good" to me. (Or at least better) I've been playing them this way for a few weeks now...it's still some getting used to, hitting one of them, but it's worth it to me, I think. I may even try another configuration. It's difficult for me, cuz my main kit only gets set up for gigs (the gear lives in the band trailer) and I rarely have time to fiddle with it much. Currently we have our whole stage setup in place for rehershals thru this Covid time, so I have gotten to mess with it more than I usually could...

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
How 'bout some pics?
Let see your kit man!!
I'm currently facing the corner for space reasons. I only have driver seat pics as of now. Its center hat anyhow, no up toms currently. Only L&R floors.

I have in the past and it's just weird. Toms too high, big angles. I'm my mind a cool looking kit has cymbals up high, the toms are angled in, the drummer is basically caged in. I dont play that way, I sit over the drums. The edge of my highest cymbal is only 32" from the floor. It plays great, but looks funny.

C.M. Jones

It sounds like a case of kit dysmorphia, a destructive illusion. You're seeing your kit from two angles: the driver's seat and the front, but when you look at photos of other kits, you're never in the driver's seat, at least not physically. The other guy's kit is unattainable. Grass is always greener syndrome kicks in. Paranoia erupts. Reality is blurred.

Darth Vater

I could not care less about someones set up, tom angles or whatever, as long as their playing is ok..

This set up is maybe also not looking “cool”, but who cares if you can play like he plays..

For everyone not familiar, thats Tony Allen on the pic, who will make any set up look “cool” btw lol..

View attachment 93692
Me neither. I just like to look at our members' drums!

johnwesley

Silver Member
I could not care less about someones set up, tom angles or whatever, as long as their playing is ok..

This set up is maybe also not looking “cool”, but who cares if you can play like he plays..

For everyone not familiar, thats Tony Allen on the pic, who will make any set up look “cool” btw lol..

View attachment 93692
Ain't nothing wrong with the way Tony's kit looks. I like it. Looks to be ergonomic to the max and easy to play.

Jasta 11

View attachment 93692
Man those hats are low! And the tome look like he is unaware you can put them closer. Totally not disrespecting him or his playing, just commenting on the kit. He does look bad-ass though! Ill never be that cool.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
It sounds like a case of kit dysmorphia, a destructive illusion. You're seeing your kit from two angles: the driver's seat and the front, but when you look at photos of other kits, you're never in the driver's seat, at least not physically. The other guy's kit is unattainable. Grass is always greener syndrome kicks in. Paranoia erupts. Reality is blurred.
Could be. Good thing it doesnt bother me. I've just never been wowed by my own kit from the front.

johnwesley

Silver Member

FIRST you need to set the drums up in a way that makes them easy for you to play. SECOND unless all you care about is people looking at your drums, YOU have to be focus of attention. THIRD you need to pay more attention to how well you play. That's what will set you apart. Nothing worse to hear than someone (especially another drummer) say "Damn. That is a beautiful kit and the way it's set up is perfect and really shows symetrical genius. Too bad the guy playing them doesn't do them justice."
I've seen guys who have IMO the "perfect" set up, both in beauty of the wood/wrap and placement. But the drummer played worse than Mickey Dolenz. I've also seen guys with Frankenstein kits that no one would ever even consider owning, but the guy on the throne proved to be a top 5 drummer. Same with those guys and their home depot paint buckets on street corners.
I know you want everyone to love the way those drums look and are set up, but in the end if they don't like your drumming they'll forget about how good those drums look on stage. Sorry about the lecture. Wait. No I'm not.

I went through a brief phase where I'd look at others' drums and think the same thing as you, so I'd set them up from the front. this obviously wasn't an effective method as I was sacrificing comfort/ease of play.

after going back and forth between rail mount and snare stand and adjusting seat height I think I have found the right balance (cymbals are not present as I took this picture when I was interested in selling them) :

IMG_8417.jpg

moodman

View attachment 93692
I wouldn't have thought anyone could be happy with rack toms that far apart, but Tony and Trevor Morias make it work

(Morias replaced Ringo in Rory Storm's band, prior to the Peddlers)