Every tempo (bpm) feels slightly different

Rock Salad

Like a self taught dummy, I had been practicing basically three tempos and for long stretches. (40, 100, 135) Thinking that I was covering my bases with that range, and wondering why my natural sense of time seemed to be confused.
Well duh, each little increment of tempo change feels different and demands changes in technique.
So, now I am hopefully on the right path making small barely noticeable changes to the clicker every few minutes.
Thanks to D.W. and I'm sorry I don't remember the individual who posted but thanks

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Tip of the ice-berg brother. Every style can also feel different and you'll also find that musicians aren't typically as uh, accurate as a click!

I like to make sure I play around with music in lots of tempo and style ranges, so thumbs up from me on this one. Pick a style you've never played before and give it a go!

NouveauCliche

Like a self taught dummy, I had been practicing basically three tempos and for long stretches. (40, 100, 135) Thinking that I was covering my bases with that range, and wondering why my natural sense of time seemed to be confused.
Well duh, each little increment of tempo change feels different and demands changes in technique.
So, now I am hopefully on the right path making small barely noticeable changes to the clicker every few minutes.
Thanks to D.W. and I'm sorry I don't remember the individual who posted but thanks
One thing I did wayyyy back in the day was pick a beat - then play it at whatever starting tempo (100 just for example) - play it for a minute or two at that tempo - then gradually increase it. 100 to 102, etc. all the way up to something like 150 - for that very same reason. The same notes can sound and feel massively different at 100 v. 114, etc.

Metronomes can be fun!!

C.M. Jones

Rock Salad, as we've discussed before, metronomes offer numerous advantages and have rightfully earned their status as indispensable practice tools. Just don't let them get into your head. Treat them as guides, not as enforcers, and don't feel obligated to use one every time you play. Chances are high that you won't be using metronomes in live settings, so dependency is something to be avoided.

beatdat

Yeah, you have to run the gamut of tempos from slow, to fast, and everything in between.

There's music at all tempos. Why not get comfortable with them all?

Rock Salad

I just am trying to instigate more thoughts shared about tempo. Especially for those of us who don't use it for live.
Man, I want to get good at the simple stuff I play! It's do-able

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I just am trying to instigate more thoughts shared about tempo. Especially for those of us who don't use it for live.
Man, I want to get good at the simple stuff I play! It's do-able
Try to play the same groove with different click settings also. For example 1/4s @ 100bpm = 1/8s @50bpm. So try 1/4s @ 50bpm. The time is the same, the spacing doubles. Or 1/8s @ 100bpm, the spacing gets cut in half. Dont change your groove, the pace should remain steady. It's just to get used to listening to the click at different divisions. This is sort of along the lines of what Todd is talking about in the first link.

Dont forget to use the click for 3/4, 6/8, swings, and shuffles also.

The world is your click. Anything that repeats a sequence in time is a click. Car blinkers, gas pumps, countdown clocks (microwave oven), idling vehicles, phone ringers, etc. Even walking, your gate is the click. You can do patterns on your chest as you walk.

C.M. Jones

The world is your click. Anything that repeats a sequence in time is a click. Car blinkers, gas pumps, countdown clocks (microwave oven), idling vehicles, phone ringers, etc. Even walking, your gate is the click. You can do patterns on your chest as you walk.
Yes, every action has its own pulse. Rhythm permeates the universe. I have often caught myself, unknowingly, synchronizing my movements with the meter produced by a sound in my environment. Most drummers eventually develop an automated internal clock. We keep time twenty-four hours a day, even while sleeping.

Rock Salad

Oh yes, that's big fun. Moving the beat around the click, clicks on the up, clicks on the a or e, click in 3 and play in four, click on whole note or double whole notes.
I find the best way to come up with new ways to play with it come from taking walks. The pulse of walking is so strong, I can try any messed up division and still L foot R foot keep going and going till my vocalizations figure out how to sync up with it.
It's not like I am working with the thing constantly all the time but I do like to get inventive with it when I do. There are secrets in there to be discovered. And in the pulses of walking and jogging.
I think I will take my metronome for some walks. Find my bpms for different paces to use as performance (no click) references.

Rock Salad

I have never been even suspected of phoning it in. Shoot I even rock out on my practice pad doing slow singles with the metronome.
And that is a big part of this conversation I have mostly with myself. Good strict time is a good thing in music. I am trying to find all the ways to feel it and express it.

GOOSE72

I have never been even suspected of phoning it in. Shoot I even rock out on my practice pad doing slow singles with the metronome.
And that is a big part of this conversation I have mostly with myself. Good strict time is a good thing in music. I am trying to find all the ways to feel it and express it.

My man Rock. I understand kinda what your doing but you might want to throw that metronome in the trash. You don't have to be perfect just play and have fun. Your drums!! Not your practice pad throw that in the trash for awhile as well. And please don't take your metronome for a walk. Man just chill and play your drums without any idea of what you are going to play. No clicks no rudiments just make something up. Good luck Rock!!

Rock Salad

I definitely spend more time doing that.
Might not be for you, but the metronome is big fun for me when it's just me. I make up stuff all the time with it on or not. Flow has to be there, clicker or no clicker.
It's not "work." It's my hobby and is gratifying.
Thanks though! Hope you are enjoying your drums and drumming too.

p.s. not anywhere near perfect and that is fine. and i know like four rudiments lol