Ever wonder where all the drums go to?

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I've often wondered where the majority of drums over the past 50 years have gone to when considering the amount of live gigs has dropped drastically in that time span. This in stark contrast compared to the amount of drums available ( at least in the USA ).
There's a glut of drum names & the new market appears saturated.

Are they being resold/ recirculated throught the drummimg world among collectors or just staying at home waiting to be put to work eventually?

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
In my neck of the woods it's pawn shops. We have tons of them here. Some have one kit, most have more. Very rarely do they have none, except for some specialty pawn shops that deal in mostly a specific items. Then it's usually guns.

Tons of cymbals too. If I bought a good cymbal every time I stepped foot in a pawn shop, I would have well over 100. And that's just the good ones.

There is also a vintage (mostly) drum shop here too. The store is maybe 600sq ft, and last time I was in there the guy had like 30 kits.

I have a similar thought about vehicles. With as many as there are, it's hard to believe that at one point they were all new.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Alot of people who have no intention to perform out in public also buy drums. So I'm sure there are alot of drums just being owned and played at home. I remember years ago reading some interview and that guy was speculating that there must be alot of attics with a Beatles kit in it because Ludwig was just running 24 hours a day cranking out black oyster drum sets. The situation hasn't really changed. People buy stuff, and it just stays somewhere. Compare that to the amount of homes that have at least a fridgerator - they must sell millions of those things each year considering how many homes there are. Maybe that happens to drums in a smaller amount.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
Any kit of value gets snatched up quick. I see tons of crap floating around the used market cheap. Ads with wrong or bad information etc, but anything mid-tier to high end seems to sell, get played for a few years and resold. I buy and sell kits all the time. I think that's why you see so many for sale. Everything bought and sold will get resold in a few years when it's time to upgrade again. With the AMOUNT of musicians declining, and every year companies have been pumping this stuff out, the used market is effecting the new market as well. Companies have to cut back and are selling less and less. Prices are going up and the cycle continues. After a while the high end vintage kits become well sought after, and the low end old kits get tossed as it would cost more to fix them than they are worth.

I also agree drummers hoard kits. I have 4 kits, and multiple snares, I had 5 not too long ago.

yammyfan

Any kit of value gets snatched up quick. I see tons of crap floating around the used market cheap. Ads with wrong or bad information etc, but anything mid-tier to high end seems to sell, get played for a few years and resold. I buy and sell kits all the time. I think that's why you see so many for sale. Everything bought and sold will get resold in a few years when it's time to upgrade again. With the AMOUNT of musicians declining, and every year companies have been pumping this stuff out, the used market is effecting the new market as well. Companies have to cut back and are selling less and less. Prices are going up and the cycle continues. After a while the high end vintage kits become well sought after, and the low end old kits get tossed as it would cost more to fix them than they are worth.

I also agree drummers hoard kits. I have 4 kits, and multiple snares, I had 5 not too long ago.
Yup, that's how it is around here too. The classifieds are chock full of junk kits with a (very) few good ones thrown in. I'm shocked by the prices that people are asking for pro kits, however. That's a topic for another time.

I remember the days when having one kit was a luxury. I'm up to six kits now though that will be dropping to five tomorrow night.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Too bad sales figures aren't readily available. I'd be interested to see the proportion of high end to low end new kits sold.
I'm thinking there are far more low end kits sold, but that's just from what I see available used.

RickP

Gold Member
I was wondering what ever happened to all those Concert Tim kits that were sold in the 70’s and 80’s .

I'm always curious to know where the rest of the kit went, when I see orphaned toms for sale. Left behind at a gig? In the corner of a basement when the rest of the set was sold? Stomped off in a huff over musical differences?

Warrenwood

In my neck of the woods it's pawn shops. We have tons of them here. Some have one kit, most have more. Very rarely do they have none, except for some specialty pawn shops that deal in mostly a specific items. Then it's usually guns.
I'd love to know what part of the state you live in! I'm in Little Rock, and I can't find any pawn shops with good stuff!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I'd love to know what part of the state you live in! I'm in Little Rock, and I can't find any pawn shops with good stuff!
NWA. I'm about 10-15 minutes west of Fayetteville. So Fayetteville, Springdale, Lowell, Rogers, and Bentonville are all within a 45 minute drive. Pawnshops galore!

gdmoore28

Gold Member
NWA. I'm about 10-15 minutes west of Fayetteville. So Fayetteville, Springdale, Lowell, Rogers, and Bentonville are all within a 45 minute drive. Pawnshops galore!
I thought I remembered that you were in NW Arkansas, and that's why you see so many kits in pawn shops. NW Arkansas is the paradise - and wealthy - part of the state. I love it there. Little Rock and southward has become the absolute armpit of the state. And that's where Warren and I live. Count yourself among the blessed!

GeeDeeEmm

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
You got me thinking about all my old sets and whether they are still alive anymore.

If not, how did they meet their end?

And why?

Why why why?

drummom

You got me thinking about all my old sets and whether they are still alive anymore.

If not, how did they meet their end?

And why?

Why why why?
I know exactly where some of your old stuff is. Its been very appreciated and well loved and used almost daily. Very much alive. :)

Warrenwood

My daughter and her family are in Bentonville. I think I need to plan a Christmas shopping trip... with a little side shopping for me!