Ever regret buying a drumset?

jasz

I don't know if its really a "regret", but rather feeling the quality of the kit doesn't match MSRP/Street price.

This thread is going to have a lot of subjective perspectives in terms of sound that may not be true to the next owner, but objectively, I've had the worse experience with Mapex drums.. Specifically the hardware. It's just sub par IMO.

The Saturn V for example is a kit that sounds decent and mic's extremely well, but the street price should be no where near at high as the current $1700 MSRP for a 4 piece shell pack. The PDP CX kit I bought as a teenager (I worked for it) had much better hardware quality granted, it was essentially a DW "workshop series" with reject wood from the main factory and worse quality control when it came to edges and general wrap (IE bumps).

The Saturn was obviously more consistent in terms of shell manufacturing (not perfect) and wrap quality (well no bumps, just lifting..) but the hardware shouldn't be this bad at the given price point. I think I legitimately got spoiled by what DW did in the early 2000s. It wasn't a "DW" kit, but the hardware was in a significantly different league from what everyone else was offering at the time at $650 USD in 2003 money.. which is $900 adjusted for inflation.

Both these kits really traded off IMO. They weren't perfect, but it made me learn that there's compromises you have to deal with on certain brands at given price points.

Mapex injection quality and general HW design is just the worse I've used. I should have learned my lesson with early Janus pedals.. lol

Last edited:

Justinhub2003

I impulse bought a Tama Hyper Drive Kit, it was the original iteration of the line from tama so the shells were birch.

But man I wish I had done more research, those shallow toms were aweful. so little tuning range.

Would have went a different direction had I done my research but was just getting Bach into drumming after a 6 year break

Bozozoid

Absolutely.

In 1984 I bought a brand new Sonor Phonic Plus (I think) 5-pc including all hardware for $1500. they looked great and the Sonor quality is (generally) hard to beat.

They were the worst-sounding drums I've ever owned, or played. No tone, not even from the metal snare (how do you screw up a metal snare?)

A few years after they just sat at home, I traded them for a Syndrum Quad set-up, which I still have. I normally don't prefer to let gear go, but I was glad to be rid of those.

Bermuda
Man..this really intrigues me Bermuda. On recordings drummers that endorsed sonor playing the phonic series (all) had a very similar tone that just blew me away. I've yet to sit at a phonic kit. The thing that worries me is that I didn't like Pearls original reference kit AT ALL so thick shells like phonics have me wondering. Have my ears deceived me all these years? (Decades). Russ Minnelli..Tommy Aldridge..Steve Smith..Robbie bachman etc. They (all) shared a very unique and similar tone. Your experience troubles me.

NouveauCliche

Kind of yes - kind of no.

I impulse brought a Renown 57 in 2011 off the showroom floor because I thought it was the coolest looking kit haha. I even got an expansion foor tom and made it a 6 piece - which there wasn't a lot of.

It sounded amazing....that was one of the best sounding and playing kits I ever owned - it's what led me to move away from Yamaha after a couple decades of being a die hard Yamaha guy because it hit my ears better than the Maple Customs I owned which was Yamaha's top of the line.

....however.

That finish got SO old to me SO quick - I felt like all I could do was play car shows haha. I even contemplated taking off the white part - which I found out was a thing because the blue was still really neat...but rather sold it to a collector that has it on display up in Washington.

So it was a kit that kind of fireworked and died out quickly - but it start me down the Gretsch path - which I'm really happy with.

(Zildjian Cymbals, Black Beauty Snare....I had really normal tastes back then haha)

Attachments

• IMG_4469.jpg
    IMG_4469.jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 29

Bozozoid

As my last kit...i don't want to do bar gigs at 50 I just hit the buy it now on a gretsch renown aqua sparkle shell pack. Not because it was gretsch but the sizes were right. I almost! went for an 18x22 phonic bass drum and hoped I'd somehow find an 8x12 and 14x14 but at my age I don't know if I'll see next weekend! so I got the renown kit. When it gets here I'll let you know wether or not the renown praise is overrated. I'm definitely! not afraid to tell you the renown kit is sucksville.

Ransan

Kind of yes - kind of no.

I impulse brought a Renown 57 in 2011 off the showroom floor because I thought it was the coolest looking kit haha. I even got an expansion foor tom and made it a 6 piece - which there wasn't a lot of.

It sounded amazing....that was one of the best sounding and playing kits I ever owned - it's what led me to move away from Yamaha after a couple decades of being a die hard Yamaha guy because it hit my ears better than the Maple Customs I owned which was Yamaha's top of the line.

....however.

That finish got SO old to me SO quick - I felt like all I could do was play car shows haha. I even contemplated taking off the white part - which I found out was a thing because the blue was still really neat...but rather sold it to a collector that has it on display up in Washington.

So it was a kit that kind of fireworked and died out quickly - but it start me down the Gretsch path - which I'm really happy with.

(Zildjian Cymbals, Black Beauty Snare....I had really normal tastes back then haha)
Those are beauties! I wouldn’t mind having one of these, in any of the colors available for this series.
But I guess I’m more of a wrap bum as I like odd finishes that are rare.

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
I can't say I've bought one I regret, but I have held onto kits for longer than I should've.
About 2 years ago, I got overwhelmed with the amount of gear I had collected over the years & had a fire sale.
Whittled it all down to one kit at home, a smaller one for travel & they share the hardware and cymbals between them.

I have a roller tool box with clamps, Dog Bones, cowbells & other accessories, but no kits other than the one & a half.

brushes

Buying a drumset with a 22x20 bassdrum was a big mistake. Bulky, hard to tune properly. Sounded good in store though. Anyways, it got sold. Toms were nice though. But the bassdrum was a no-go for me after some months.

drummingbulldog

In the 90s I got a Maple Custom kit. The studio I worked at had one and I really liked them. I got my kit-same kit as the studio kit(turquoise) only mine were black wood grain. The toms sounded good, not great and the kick sounded boxey and crappy. I tried every combination of heads and tuning. I've read others have had issues with MC's being like that as well. Underwhelming across the board. I ended up selling them after I found an 80s era RC kit. I still have that kit and 4 Gretsch kits.

rebonn

1977 Ludwig. Overlapping plies and wrap that came apart. Clip mounts that couldn't be adjusted. Not to mention the Black Beauty snare that sounded like it had no shell. This may have been Ludwig at it's worst.

drummage

1980 Ludwig. Basically an octaplus w/bottom heads & power size toms. Out of the 9 drums 5 had gaps in the plys. The 10” was thicker than the 12”!!! the thickness of all the drums were of arbitrary thickness, NO consistency whatsoever. And the hardware had those horrific black plastic handles that broke off. Conversely, the 24” kick was killer.

cold fusion

yes and no, part of me want to sell my DW Pre Collectors to get either A GMS SE/GM or Jenkins and Martin.

rebonn

1980 Ludwig. Basically an octaplus w/bottom heads & power size toms. Out of the 9 drums 5 had gaps in the plys. The 10” was thicker than the 12”!!! the thickness of all the drums were of arbitrary thickness, NO consistency whatsoever. And the hardware had those horrific black plastic handles that broke off. Conversely, the 24” kick was killer.
Same thing with my Ludwig Power Plus bought in 1977.

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
Buying a drum set with a 22x20 bass drum was a big mistake. Bulky, hard to tune properly. Sounded good in store though. But the bass drum was a no-go for me after some months.

My Catalina Clubs have a 22x20 & I love it. Gives me the perfect combo of boom & punch AND fits into a standard drum bag.
I will say front of house guys don't like it too much. :devilish:

I hear you about what sounds good in a store isn't always the case at the house.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Absolutely.

Tama Club jam bop-size kit. Pure junk.

INDe kit. Bass drum spurs and memory locks made setting up a chore. I can't afford to spend 5 minutes fiddling with kick drum spurs when I have 15 minutes to set up before our first set starts.

Ludwig Club Date (new USA version). Toms were not very musical.

incrementalg

Gold Member
As my last kit...i don't want to do bar gigs at 50 I just hit the buy it now on a gretsch renown aqua sparkle shell pack. Not because it was gretsch but the sizes were right. I almost! went for an 18x22 phonic bass drum and hoped I'd somehow find an 8x12 and 14x14 but at my age I don't know if I'll see next weekend! so I got the renown kit. When it gets here I'll let you know wether or not the renown praise is overrated. I'm definitely! not afraid to tell you the renown kit is sucksville.
What are your thoughts on the Renowns?

Bozozoid

What are your thoughts on the Renowns?
The 18x22 is nice..the 10 which I'm not going to use is real nice. The 8x12 is or was a big disappointment. I'm going to go through a gazillion head combinations to try like hell to live with it. The 14x16 is um? Ok. The aqua sparkle finish is the bomb!.

TJK

The 18x22 is nice..the 10 which I'm not going to use is real nice. The 8x12 is or was a big disappointment. I'm going to go through a gazillion head combinations to try like hell to live with it. The 14x16 is um? Ok. The aqua sparkle finish is the bomb!.
12s always give me trouble. Always dead no matter what until you find that one tuning