Ever regret buying a drumset?

MR20

I bought a second hand Tama Rockstar DX.

Piano black, long lugs etc etc.

The bass drum was absolutely bloody awful.

The toms were lifeless no matter what I did to them.

Just a dreadful pile of plies and chrome.

Regret selling my Premier Genista......BIG time.
That is the problem I'm going thru now. Long story short, I sold my older model Pearl kit to buy a mid level used set I had my eye on. But to my surprise some of my friends and band mates privately pitched in and surprised me with a brand new Rockstar set. I fully appreciated it. I have great friends, but the sound is........well, you know what I'm saying. And yes, no matter what heads I put on it, the kick drum sounds like paper. I'm so thankful for what my friends did but I have to get out from behind that kit without hurting their feelings.

MR20

Yes. My Remo Encore kit was Junk. Junk hardware, junk tension rods/housings/snap whatever, heavy shells and crap pedal. The best thing about them was getting rid of them.
I agree, I think I had the same set lol. Back in the late 80s early, 90s I had a silver endorsement with Remo, I love their heads but I agreed to play their new kit they had come out with for a year. I think it was the Encore. Great, great company but was not a huge fan of that kit.

Benthedrummer

That is the problem I'm going thru now. Long story short, I sold my older model Pearl kit to buy a mid level used set I had my eye on. But to my surprise some of my friends and band mates privately pitched in and surprised me with a brand new Rockstar set. I fully appreciated it. I have great friends, but the sound is........well, you know what I'm saying. And yes, no matter what heads I put on it, the kick drum sounds like paper. I'm so thankful for what my friends did but I have to get out from behind that kit without hurting their feelings.
I know right?

I did everything I could to improve that bass drum sound.

It got to a point where I was thinking......" Surely this CAN'T be a case of me being unable to tune a drum properly".

Maybe it was, but I've made other bass drums and toms sound really good before and after that Rockstar kit.

Dirtysticks

It's funny that I just responded to the other thread talking about gear I regret selling and my answer is about the same for both. I have had over 45+ kits in my lifetime and I lost count with snares... There are a whole lot of items I regret buying lol. I find gear so easily for great deals and I have been a serial flipper.

JB111

19 years old, 1989. Saved up to buy a Sonorlite and full set of cymbals. While the kit definitely paid itself off in gig money over several years, I really had no business buying the kit at the time. And ultimately, it wasn't the sound I really wanted as my tastes changed. There have been zero regrets with the three kits I've had since then (60s Ludwigs, Bleifuss Custom, 60s Rogers). Sold the Ludwig years ago. Still have the Bleifuss and the Rogers. Both incredible.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Only one, first brand new kit I ever bought a Tama rockstar. Fell for all the salesman shite.

Plastic bass drum hoops, hanging 'floor', only thing good about the kit was the hardware, which has lasted 20 years next year and it still going strong. Annoyed at myself really I had the money to buy once, cry once. Lesson learned.

Flogged it just over a year after.

Mr. Compactness

Yamaha Oak Custom. The bass drum and 10" were nice but the 12 and 15 were terrible. The 12 was always choked and the 15 always sounded out of tune no matter what I did, no matter what heads I used. I hated that set.

Yamaha Rider

Yes. My Remo Encore kit was Junk. Junk hardware, junk tension rods/housings/snap whatever, heavy shells and crap pedal. The best thing about them was getting rid of them.
Why would a reputable company go into a new market and make cheap tat? It's bizarre.

NackAttack

I don’t necessarily regret buying this drum set but I did make a mistake. 2016 Starclassic B/B. I sold an export 8 pc. to help buy some new drums. I figured I would buy the 4 shell pack and expand later when I had more $. Unfortunately the whole bubinga exporting thing happened and I have had trouble finding matching toms for my kit. Absolutely love my kit, just wish I would have had more money to get a few more toms when I bought it.

AudioWonderland

Silver Member
I bought a Gretsch Cat Jazz kit 5 years or more ago that I suppose would be a minor regret. The floor tom was just "dead". No sustain and just unpleasant sounding. The legs were too short to get it to a comfortable height. The snare was a hot mess. The rack tom was nice and the kick drum was good but was very finicky tune. Maybe I was just inexperienced with smaller kick drums. I know a lot of people love those kits but that particular kit just didn't do it for me.

Out of the box, my Stage Custom had some issues but I had the bearing edges done by Precision drums and they are damn fine drums. I have never had any issues with any Yamaha gear period let alone their drums, but the bearing edges on 2-3 of the toms were horribly out of level. The 8" was off over 1/8". The 10" less so but the impact on tuning and sustain was very obvious. The bigger drums were not perfect but being larger they were not as impacted sonically. I had the option for warranty work but decided to just get the edge work done and customize them a bit. Very pleased with the final results. Precision did great work.

Superman

Gold Member
Regret buying a Sonor kit years ago. I think they were Force 3005. Never liked them Cheap spurs. Still sitting in cases somewhere. I need to sell them.

I also regret buying my DW 9000 Hardware. The bass pedal and Hi Hat Stand are great but very overpriced and I get the same results with cheaper gear that I own. I'd never recommend 9000 unless you are a touring drummer (which I am not).

specgrade

I don't consider a damaged reputation a sure-fire moneyspinner.
Yep. I don't either, but someone in their marketing department did. The drums are very heavy and that allowed them to have a deep tone. Very desirable back in the 1980's. I was a teen back then and the kit had "power toms" so it was cool to me.