Ever play a 32" kick?

New Tricks

Platinum Member
I participated in a reunion gig with a bunch of bands last night and, to save time, I used the kit from the band playing after us.

When I first saw it I thought, "oh crap, that looks awkward" but once I sat behind it, it was easy. In fact, it was pretty freaking cool.

I really should have taken more pics from the throne but I forgot.

I got this pic at the sound check. The kit belongs to the guy sitting at it.

I totally looks like an awkward set up but the kick is in the place where your left kick of a double bass set up would be. The right half of the double pedal is on the right side of the kick, backwards from a normal set up. The only thing I had to do was bring my throne and raise it up as far as it would go because he sits really really low.

In the sound check they were painfully loud but with a full house, everything sounded great.

Magenta

Platinum Member
I wouldn't have stood a hope in hell of playing that - I wouldn't have been able to see over the top of it! Merely touching the cymbals would have been a faraway dream ...

Glad you enjoyed it though!

alparrott

Platinum Member
I'm glad you had a good experience, but IMHO, if you know you're going to be sharing a kit at a bill, you shouldn't bring a weird, esoteric setup and expect the other guy to just adapt to it. In my book that's kind of a dickish move.

New Tricks

Platinum Member
I didn't see it that way.

They were more of a headliner than we were and it was all good.

We only played a short 30 minute set and I am confident enough to adapt. Hell, if the situation called for it I could play on a kick/snare/HH kit and have a good time.

And although it was a bit odd, it was a really nice and interesting kit.

Here is a crappy cell phone pic of me pulled from facebook. There will be some decent pics soon. Hopefully some of them will show the magnitude of the beast. I am sitting almost bar stool height :)

iwantmemoney

Did the beer bottles slowly work their way off the table each time you kicked this?! Was it a soundman's nightmare? That's some long waves coming out of that drum. But the double pedal idea is really original(or not-but I'd never heard of it). Last year I got on CL 7 minutes after a 28" mint white pearl Ludwig bass drum had come on for $200, but it had already been snagged when I called!

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I used to play a 28 in the 90's & early 2000's. I had a 16x28, and then a 20x28.

I liked the 28. It was comfortable, and since I play off of the head, it wasn't a problem.
I used a double pedal on it for a while too, and it was fine though FOH.

I eventually got sick of hauling it around, and liked the feel and action on a 26 more by 2001 (I've stayed with a 26 since).

I have a couple of older friends that did 30's for a while back in the 70's/early 80's when they gigged a bunch. I never played on those drums though. They had the 20" floor tom too (18,20).

Back in the mid-80's, Gunner Ross from Detroit (Blackfoot, Ted Nugent, local band The Almighty Strut) used a custom Ludwig double bass kit with 30x30 bass drums. It sounded like crap un-miced, but through a PA it was insanely cool sounding.

New Tricks

Platinum Member
Did the beer bottles slowly work their way off the table each time you kicked this?! Was it a soundman's nightmare? That's some long waves coming out of that drum. But the double pedal idea is really original(or not-but I'd never heard of it). Last year I got on CL 7 minutes after a 28" mint white pearl Ludwig bass drum had come on for $200, but it had already been snagged when I called!

The sound guy had to bring everything up to match the drums. The snare was tuned tight and, IMO, didn't need a mic. I actually had it removed because I knew I'd be hitting it several times. I didn't stick my head in front of the PA to see if any drums were coming thru.

During the sound check, the snare actually hurt my ears out front. I tried not to hit as hard but I really had no clue as to what I was doing. Everyone on stage and in the house I talked to said it sounded great. It was a good sound guy.

New Tricks

Platinum Member
It was at the (former) Mason Jar.

It was just a hole in the wall but it was a major hot spot in the 80's and 90's. Tons on big names actually played there right as they were coming up.

For me, it was a chance to see some friends that I hadn't seen in 30 years. Good times.