Ever keep using a beater kit after getting new gear?

So a few months ago I joined a new band with a bunch of shows lined up (bad timing). I decided that since I was going to be somewhat active again it was time to get a new kit. I purchased a nice Sonor maple kit to replace my older basswood one and a set of HHX cymbals to replace my XSR and AAs. Since my band practices where I only have access to the kit two time a week and most of our shows are in dive bars I've found that I tend to keep using my old gear out of fear of getting the new stuff damaged. Weird right? Am I just being silly?

I have a nice Starclassic B/B kit that I use for live work (as said, whenever that starts again). This past Christmas my wife bought me a used Premier XPK kit, I believe from the mid nineties, that someone did a nice job of semi destroying. 8x12, 9x13, 16x16, 16x22, made in England. Scuffs, road rash, cheese grater marks, rust, bent tuning rods, crust... yikes. She got it for me as a project kit to fix up over time. I’ve cleaned it up and replaced the bass drum spurs, put new heads on... and I love this kit. Again, not restored just wiped off some grime. I just can’t stop playing it. I might leave it as is and play gigs with it, like those old rat rods you see at car shows. Works under the hood but leave the rust and character marks! Sometimes the beater kits become near and dear to our hearts!

Last edited:
I have a nice Starclassic B/B kit that I use for live work (as said, whenever that starts again). This past Christmas my wife bought me a used Premier XPK kit, I believe from the mid nineties, that someone did a nice job of semi destroying. 8x12, 9x13, 16x16, 16x22, made in England. Scuffs, road rash, cheese grater marks, rust, bent tuning rods, crust... yikes. She got it for me as a project kit to fix up over time. I’ve cleaned it up and replaced the bass drum spurs, put new heads on... and I love this kit. Again, not restored just wiped off some grime. I just can’t stop playing it. I might leave it as is and play gigs with it, like those old rat rods you see at car shows. Works under the hood but leave the rust and character marks! Sometimes the beater kits become near and dear to our hearts!
I’ve just done up an old Premier APK snare drum, put new hoops on (die cast hoop on top ala Copeland), new heads, and new wires! It sounds like a gun going off, will be perfect for gigging! :)

So a few months ago I joined a new band with a bunch of shows lined up (bad timing). I decided that since I was going to be somewhat active again it was time to get a new kit. I purchased a nice Sonor maple kit to replace my older basswood one and a set of HHX cymbals to replace my XSR and AAs. Since my band practices where I only have access to the kit two time a week and most of our shows are in dive bars I've found that I tend to keep using my old gear out of fear of getting the new stuff damaged. Weird right? Am I just being silly?
I have a high end recording/rehearsal kit and a cheaper live kit . :)

Last edited:
My Pearl Wood-Fiberglass kit sits in cases in the corner watching enviously as I have the time of my life on a Pearl Midtown.

I love the W/F kit. I just dont have the floor space to set it up in the house. So I bought the Midtown, which I absolutely fell in love with. I've owned 6 kits in my drumming life of almost 30 years. The Midtown is by far my favorite without thought.

Take the better kit out to some gigs and see how it sounds maybe? That said, it's your stuff. Do what you want with it.

The house drum kit is the beater kit. The cymbals are cracked from all the drunks hitting them. I'm not bringing my good kit in there.

You aren't being "silly." It's your gear. Do with it as you desire. Not until others start paying for your equipment will they have the right to tell you how to use it.

Speaking only for myself, I don't retain "backup kits." When I get a new setup, my previous one is either sold or given away. Stockpiling drums and cymbals is unnecessary in my experience. But again, the choice is yours. Who cares what others think about what you elect to possess, let alone how you choose to use it?

I’ve just done up an old Premier APK snare drum, put new hoops on (die cast hoop on top ala Copeland), new heads, and new wires! It sounds like a gun going off, will be perfect for gigging! :)
Nice! I’ve always admired Premier drums, and almost bought a Signia in the early 90’s (still kick myself for not getting it). I have no real idea why I’ve been fixated on Premier all these years, but it’s great to finally own a kit, beat down as it is, and show it some love!

I love having my drums look "used". Found this picture somewhere and love the truck and snare to match.
truck drum.jpg

I think @Bo Eder and @C.M. Jones have the right idea. All kits are for playing and stockpiling unless you have need for multi-setups etc. isn’t really worth it. But with two caveats: bringing really expensive gear to a gig is easier said than done when you just saved up for it, and if you can’t afford to replaced damaged gear that makes the equation different. For me I made the equation easier by holding off on buying better gear until I’m earning enough money from playing to justify Pro gear. But like a few guys have said, there’s no right or wrong answers. If you enjoy the beater kit, then beat away!

My Pearl Wood-Fiberglass kit sits in cases in the corner watching enviously as I have the time of my life on a Pearl Midtown.

I love the W/F kit. I just dont have the floor space to set it up in the house. So I bought the Midtown, which I absolutely fell in love with. I've owned 6 kits in my drumming life of almost 30 years. The Midtown is by far my favorite without thought.

Bought my 6 piece tama bb kit beginning of March with the hopes of playing out or at least with others by this time after practicing and shaking off the rust.
Was going to sell my black one up one down vintage pearl w/f kit and some other older gear to offset the bb purchase . But I kept it , and I’m glad I did , cleaned her up , re headed her and set her up in the corner of the basement to sit behind to keep focused on the basics . I sit behind the larger bb and I can’t help but utilize the whole thing lol ! Getting behind the pearl keeps me grounded and focused on my basics . Plus it sounds awesome ( loud) and I guess I’m somewhat attached to it . Had it over 35 years ! Nothing special , scuffed , scratched and well used , but a lot of memories in it ! But man I was really looking toward to playing out and gigging the bb . Soon I hope ??

Edit: .... oh and I’d easily play either one out , depending on need or mood . My gear ( or anyone’s IMO) is meant to be played by me , and for others s to hear and enjoy . But to each to his if her own . I’m careful with my gear so not too worried about taking the tama ..... Anywhere. But sometimes I could see where the pearl w/f would be a better option .

Last edited:
I
Bought my 6 piece tama bb kit beginning of March with the hopes of playing out or at least with others by this time after practicing and shaking off the rust.
Was going to sell my black one up one down vintage pearl w/f kit and some other older gear to offset the bb purchase . But I kept it , and I’m glad I did , cleaned her up , re headed her and set her up in the corner of the basement to sit behind to keep focused on the basics . I sit behind the larger bb and I can’t help but utilize the whole thing lol ! Getting behind the pearl keeps me grounded and focused on my basics . Plus it sounds awesome ( loud) and I guess I’m somewhat attached to it . Had it over 35 years ! Nothing special , scuffed , scratched and well used , but a lot of memories in it ! But man I was really looking toward to playing out and gigging the bb . Soon I hope ??
I gotta say the finishes in the TAMA BB kits have always looked amazing to me! Hopefully you get it out and under some stage lights soon!

I think @Bo Eder and @C.M. Jones have the right idea. All kits are for playing and stockpiling unless you have need for multi-setups etc. isn’t really worth it. But with two caveats: bringing really expensive gear to a gig is easier said than done when you just saved up for it, and if you can’t afford to replaced damaged gear that makes the equation different. For me I made the equation easier by holding off on buying better gear until I’m earning enough money from playing to justify Pro gear. But like a few guys have said, there’s no right or wrong answers. If you enjoy the beater kit, then beat away!
So if you didn’t save and spend your own money for it that makes it easier to use in public? Huh? Actually, if you buy pro level gear, it’ll hold up much better on the gig and survive transport better. That’s the other reason for buying better stuff - it’s just built better.

This story will scare you guys, but we had a band performing on a flatbed trailer around Disney’s California Adventure, and we had a DW Collectors FinishPly kit living on the trailer. Rain or shine it stayed on the trailer, and suffered earthquake conditions when rolling about. It lived in a warehouse on rainy cold nights, and stayed in the sun backstage between sets getting cooked. That kit lived for three years there before it was replaced.

I doubt you could do that with a Pearl Export.

So if you didn’t save and spend your own money for it that makes it easier to use in public? Huh? Actually, if you buy pro level gear, it’ll hold up much better on the gig and survive transport better. That’s the other reason for buying better stuff - it’s just built better.

This story will scare you guys, but we had a band performing on a flatbed trailer around Disney’s California Adventure, and we had a DW Collectors FinishPly kit living on the trailer. Rain or shine it stayed on the trailer, and suffered earthquake conditions when rolling about. It lived in a warehouse on rainy cold nights, and stayed in the sun backstage between sets getting cooked. That kit lived for three years there before it was replaced.

I doubt you could do that with a Pearl Export.
I just meant if you’ve just saved up heaps taking it to that first gig can be scary, sorta like putting the first scratch on a brand new car. Definitely agree better gear holds up to punishment more though.

Last edited:
Back