Ever keep using a beater kit after getting new gear?

mikyok

Platinum Member
Providing you keep the new kit in cases and don't throw it around when transporting it, I can't see why you wouldn't use your new kit. Drums are made to be played. If you look after them and don't let anyone else mess with them they won't get damaged.

Keep the beater kit in the practice room.

Darth Vater

Providing you keep the new kit in cases and don't throw it around when transporting it, I can't see why you wouldn't use your new kit. Drums are made to be played. If you look after them and don't let anyone else mess with them they won't get damaged.

Keep the beater kit in the practice room.
I'll play any of my kits anywhere as long as they don't have chicken wire in front of the stage!

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I’ve just done up an old Premier APK snare drum, put new hoops on (die cast hoop on top ala Copeland), new heads, and new wires! It sounds like a gun going off, will be perfect for gigging! :)
The way a snare should be! Make it about combat, not conformity. ;)

My Gretsch Catalina kit was gigged a lot last year. So much that the wrap was beginning to bubble & peel. So when the 'Rona hit, I did a refurb job & now have it gig ready for whenever it all cranks back up.
I bought it to play. I'll not have a "studio queen" that never sees the outside.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I kept a beater kit for a long time after I upgraded to nice gear.

Though I never really used it and eventually sold it off.

Super Phil

I have several high end kits, but on our most recent album and on several runs of shows I've played a used set of Taye TourPro drums that I got for $250. They really do rock!

justadrummer

I stumbled into a deal for a brand new Gretsch Catalina Birch shell pack for $250 in 2008. I used it for a few gigs instead of my higher end or vintage kits. Eventually I realized that the places that I didn't want to take my "good' kits were places that I didn't want to play. I ended up trading it for a Music Man Stingray bass in 2013.

1597265837322.png

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
I bought a DW Collectors kit as my first "nice" kit. The first gig I (proudly) took it out to, the sound guy didn't tighten the overhead mic stand enough, and the boom arm swung down and struck the bass drum with the mic. At that point, I decided I would actually buy myself a beater kit. I'm glad I did, because I ended up buying a 1970 Ludwig Downbeat, and that started my quest of buying/trying all makes/models/sizes of vintage drums. And, I never found any kits that impressed me more than the Ludwigs, so I still have them and gig them out, loving their look and sound, and not worrying about them being abused. Oh, and I sold the DW years ago...

Jasta 11

Good thing my current rehearsal space ( my Guitar players house) has a beater kit. I brought over my new spinal glide throne and when removing the old crappy throne by the top, from the front side of the drums, and the throne base fell off and nailed the kit. My bad i know,and he was ok with it even though i felt really bad.