Ever just bought all new hardware all at one time?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I don't know about you, but I have a large hodge-podge of hardware. Various years/generations, all kinds of brand names and conditions, etc. I travel with hardware from Gibraltar, DW, Percussion Plus, Yamaha, Tama, Pearl, and probably a couple of others. Some of it is better off than others. Some of this hardware I've had over 25 years, and it still works, but it's starting to look tired.

Anyone every dropped the coin and just bought all new stands at one time? Was it a good move? Regrets?

When I bought my Tama Starclassic, I bought all new hardware (Roadpro). It was so much better in engineering, design and strength than my Sonor hardware. There were many small details (like the spinning snare basket, or smooth cymbal tilt) that made it a joy to use. No more fighting hardware to get something positioned.

No regrets here.

I like gear consistency, as I've imparted in numerous threads, so my hardware is always Pearl and of the same series. And yes, when I buy new hardware, it's usually an entire set at once. Pearl hardware doesn't break, at least not in my experience. Updating is the only reason to replace it.

It wasn't purchased at one time, but for my Pearl acquisitions, it did over a span of a few months (see Comprehensive gear list thread).
When I got my Pearl kit I made sure to get all pro hardware specifically the Gyro Lock series.
Their hardware is extremely durable, and modular designed with forward thinking ergo application in mind.

Pearl has THE BEST hardware in the game.

I hodgepodge also. I'm not partial to stand manufacturer. I just buy a new stand as needed, and the one with the lowest price tag that will hold whatever I need it to wins.

If I buy another rack it WILL be a Pearl rack. Square tubes (can tubes be a square?) are where it's at IMO.

If I decided to buy all new stands so they would match, I like the looks of the Pearl flat based stuff.

I got the DW Ultralight hardware pack. Does that count? It was with the intention of having a light pack to haul to gigs. But then 15 days to flatten the curve happened. Go figure.

I generally do not get hardware packs though, because I want each piece of gear to be the "best", regardless of brand.

To me, Tama makes the best hi-hat stands and pedals (Iron Cobra and Speed Cobra). Pearl makes the best snare stand (the Pearl S930). Yamaha makes the best cymbal stands, (although Pearl and Tama are also great).

If I were to buy a Yamaha 700 Hardware pack, I'd definitely use the cymbal stands and the snare stand. But would I use the hi-hat and pedal? Probably not. That's why I usually mix and match.

This doesn't exactly answer your question of whether I'd buy them all at once, but that's my reasoning behind the hardware I choose. :)

Last edited:
I did buy a full set of Yamaha 700 hardware used but in like new condition from a Craigslist ad a few years back. Smokin deal; snare stand, hi hat stand, 1 bass drum pedal, 1 straight stand and 4 boom stands for $200. It was well worth it; have been using these stands for all of my playing needs, including a lot of gigs, and never had an issue. Won’t use anything else at this point.

I've bought new hardware three different times: with a kit, all at once and "slowly" over the course of a year.

The first setup came with my '89 Premiers, so they were from that period when Premier was owned by Yamaha. The Premier hardware was a hybrid of Premier and Yamaha features. The pedal was that classic 80's Yamaha design, but it said "Premier Made in England". Weird, but solid stuff.

The second time, I bought all Gibraltar flat-based stuff plus a Gibraltar pedal (Intruder?) and a Gibraltar throne. This was when their flat-based was among the lightest stuff out there. I was also wanted a uniform look to go with some gold sparkle Ludwigs.

The third time was putting together a set of Yamaha Crosstowns, keeping the Gibraltar pedal and throne. Now I have the lightness I was after and another uniform look.

Of these, the Yamaha stuff has been best.

The only time I purchased all new hardware at a single time was for my daughter's kit when she first started playing.
After she quit playing I held onto her DW hardware and added onto it when I purchased my shell bank years ago.

This asks the question: At what point does one need new hardware?

The answer for me is maybe once every ten years or so -- sometimes longer. Even then, replacement isn't mandatory, but hardware, regardless of the measures I take to keep it pristine, gets road-worn eventually. I've never had a Pearl stand or pedal malfunction though, so when I decide that it's time for a fresh round of factory sparkle, I get an all-new assembly and give my former stuff away. Someone's always happy to receive it.

Last edited:
I bought a Gibraltar 6700 series hardware pack last time around. Pretty heavy-duty and solid, cymbals stay put. I’ve added a couple of extra 6700 stands with the retractable booms which I love.

I reckon I’ve probably got one more drum kit purchase in me at some point but I won’t replace my Gibraltar hardware, it’s here to stay.

The answer for me is maybe once every ten years or so. Even then, replacement isn't mandatory, but hardware, regardless of the measures I take to keep it pristine, gets road-worn eventually. I've never had a Pearl stand or pedal malfunction though, so when I decide that it's time for a fresh round of factory sparkle, I get an all-new assembly and give my former stuff away. Someone's always happy to receive it.
I would agree, Pearl hardware is very good. I remember my 950 counter-weighted booms from the 90s. If there a nuclear war and the world was flattened, those beasts would still be proudly standing tall.

I did not buy is all at once, but all of my hardware is different now than it was three years ago. The only thing I am still using from then is my Mapex hi-hat and snare stands. Peace and goodwill.

Some of those hardware packs are really cost effective these days. Yamaha has a 700 series pack with two boom stands, snare, hi hat stands and a pedal for $299. If you bought those separate it’d be a lot more. There’s almost no excuse not to get everything new now.

Does well taken care of hardware really need replacing?
I'd say good quality hardware that wasn't taken care of at all doesn't need replacing. For me it's like replacing a prybar. As long as it works...

I don't think I ever gave a 2nd thought to stands.

If I ever wiped down a stand, I don't remember it.

My drums get a wipe....only the part that shows lol....only when they need it.

Stands? I just don't consider them.

I encourage everyone to neglect their hardware ha ha

I don't really mean that

Yes, last June. I sold all of my DW hardware and converted to Yamaha Crosstown.
I reduced my rig by 46 pounds! No regrets at all.

Untitled.jpg

Back