Ever have one of "those" snares?

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
So I've got this Snare. It was custom made for me many years ago by a company I was endorsing at the time.
14" x 7" Maple with a White Marien Pearl wrap. I wanted something that "looked" vintage, but wasn't. Kind of a tip of the cap to Gene Krupa.
Anyway, No matter what I do, this thing just doesn't sound good. I've tried changing heads, different thickness, different snare wires. Everything. No mater what I do, or how I tune it, it just doesn't sound right. Only thing I haven't tried is having the edges re-cut. That's a last resort. Anyone got suggestions on tricks I may have not tried?

TJK

So I've got this Snare. It was custom made for me many years ago by a company I was endorsing at the time.
14" x 7" Maple with a White Marien Pearl wrap. I wanted something that "looked" vintage, but wasn't. Kind of a tip of the cap to Gene Krupa.
Anyway, No matter what I do, this thing just doesn't sound good. I've tried changing heads, different thickness, different snare wires. Everything. No mater what I do, or how I tune it, it just doesn't sound right. Only thing I haven't tried is having the edges re-cut. That's a last resort. Anyone got suggestions on tricks I may have not tried?
What do the snare beds look like? Deep, shallow, narrow, wide, none? Plastic straps or strings or fabric?

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
The college I went to had a Ludwig snare like that; I just never could make it sound good. I tried different heads, different tunings, it just always sounded awful. It was a Coliseum model with 12 lugs, and it had razor sharp bearing edges on Ludwig's standard (fairly thick) 6-ply Classic shell. I've always figured it was the combination of the amount of hardware on a thick shell and the sharp edges that was the culprit. Since it wasn't my drum, after a few failures it just went back on the shelf. The same shelf that also had aluminum and bronze Supras, and a couple different depths of Premier 2000-type snares, so I never really needed that drum to sound good...

cbphoto

Diamond Member
I experienced a similar conundrum with a 14x7 Yamaha maple snare drum at a church I played at. No matter what I did, it always sounded boxy, not snappy or fat. I was whining to another drummer and he put on an Evans power center batter head and 42-strand wires and it helped. It sounded very rock & roll, but it was a one-trick pony. It had a very narrow tuning range and anything outside of that it either choked or sounded boxy. We never tried different hoops, though.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I had an OCDP 14x7 that came with a bundle of drum gear I picked up that never sounded right. It was one of the GC drums and it sounded like it didn’t matter if there was a shell or not. It was all head noise. Bonkos

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
Did it ever sound good back when you first got it?

It did, or at least I think it did? I haven't used it live much in the last bunch of year, mainly because I couldn't get a solid sound out of it.
I have used it in the studio a few times, however only when I need a super fat/wet sound. I typically put a piece of paper over the head. Sound's incredible!! But when you take that paper off and just play the drum, it sounds terrible.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
The college I went to had a Ludwig snare like that; I just never could make it sound good. I tried different heads, different tunings, it just always sounded awful. It was a Coliseum model with 12 lugs, and it had razor sharp bearing edges on Ludwig's standard (fairly thick) 6-ply Classic shell. I've always figured it was the combination of the amount of hardware on a thick shell and the sharp edges that was the culprit. Since it wasn't my drum, after a few failures it just went back on the shelf. The same shelf that also had aluminum and bronze Supras, and a couple different depths of Premier 2000-type snares, so I never really needed that drum to sound good...

yeah, i have a few clunkers at school that I just can't find a good sound on

but for my personal stuff, I own 2 '63 Supraphonics and that is it, so no problems there

ToneT

Silver Member
I would have a reputable drum repairman re-cut the bearing edges. I would also give the inside of the shell a few coats of varnish to make the inside more reflective.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I wouldn't waste much more energy investigating, you could throw money at it and still not like it. Just flip it. Life is short, own a snare that you love.

Donkey Boy

7's can be a hard task sometimes but when they are right they are the best.. try loosening the tension rods a smidge each side of the snare gate or check the snare beds.

fobz

I admire your perseverance 😂 I would have sold it a LOOONG time ago...

If I really didn't want to sell it, I'd try something like: new reso, new dry batter (like evans ST dry), a wider snare (i.e. more strands). Then crank it pretty hard and gradually loosen until it sounds as good as it can...