Ever had to confront a fellow band member on what he/she is posting on social media?

Lee-Bro

Several factors to consider:
1) Is your band an original music band or a cover band?
If you're an originals band, are you a band with a message, a la Rage Against The Machine or are you an entertainer band such as Bruno Mars?
If you're a cover band, are you doing covers w/ a specific theme or message?

2) Does the band member identify as such on their social media pages?

3) Did the band member mention the band?

4) Is the band member a stake-holder in the band, or are they technically a contractor?

5) Does your band have a social media/public relations policy, or even a basic guideline like, "Hey, don't do ABC at a show..."?

Fortunately, I've never had to have a social media/public comments discussion with the band members.

Blisco

A couple of years ago, a good friend and bandmate went off the rails and the three of us decided it was best to let him go. He went willingly. He was so bent on politics that we couldn't just have fun on the gig. Every comment was bridled with is particular philosophy. The three of us are of a different mind, but would have tolerated it. He made it untenable to continue. Add to that his wife...... I won't even go there.

Mongrel

Silver Member
What if the one on the right is on the left....?

Last edited:

cbphoto

Gold Member
1st bar - Does the band member's post negatively affect the band?

2nd bar - Can I continue to associate myself with someone who holds views I find to be unpalatable?
I reverse these bars. Because if someone in my band is gonna throw down on social media, he must be able to say it to my face. If he can’t, then he’s just poser looking to fluff his feathers in a vacuum.

I will gladly go to the mat for what I believe in. Face to face. Social media is for parrots and the fearful.

WallyY

Platinum Member
People are genuinely not nice, but it's been like that at least since Roman times. The best we can do is think before speaking, but also realize half the people are below the curve and they think they're not. We can't correct everyone, especially ourselves if we think we're so clever.

moxman

Silver Member
You have to be extremely careful about what you post online - including this forum! Lol.. You see it everyday - some celebrity jots down a quick note online.. and either by accident or on purpose offends somebody. Then this creates controversy - then becomes news with headlines that 'people are outraged!'. The damage is done - in some extreme cases resulting in the end of a career or the loss of supporters.

Would I confront a band member about posting hate and crud online?
I did once and - and it resulted in the end of friendship... which was fine by me!
But it wasn't worth the effort - it devolved into a shouting match online.. and you soon realize - Once someone exposes themselves as a hate monger - you cant change them. Better to just move on and find a better band mate.. and let them swirl down the drain by themselves.

cbphoto

Gold Member
You have to be extremely careful about what you post online - including this forum! Lol.. You see it everyday - some celebrity jots down a quick note online.. and either by accident or on purpose offends somebody. Then this creates controversy - then becomes news with headlines that 'people are outraged!'. The damage is done - in some extreme cases resulting in the end of a career or the loss of supporters.

Would I confront a band member about posting hate and crud online?
I did once and - and it resulted in the end of friendship... which was fine by me!
But it wasn't worth the effort - it devolved into a shouting match online.. and you soon realize - Once someone exposes themselves as a hate monger - you cant change them. Better to just move on and find a better band mate.. and let them swirl down the drain by themselves.
Here’s the thing about posting opinions online: it’s only divisive. The people that agree with that opinion will not dissent, and the people who do not agree with that opinion will always dissent. It’s polarizing.

Further, it never enhances the relationship between poster & reader in a healthy way. Those that agree won’t/don’t investigate why the opinion bolsters their belief. Likewise for those who disagree. Ignorance reigns and this leads to a decline in community.

Today, with all the hate/anger/vitriol/violence going on, we are witnessing mob mentality in action, and this is very dangerous to the individual because the mob is never for the best interest of the individual. A look at the history of governments that sprang from mobs will show unbridled death in those societies and countries.

C707A93C-9A6B-4CEF-AA59-684D77C5AA6F.jpeg

ottog1979

THIS!:

Here’s the thing about posting opinions online: it’s only divisive. The people that agree with that opinion will not dissent, and the people who do not agree with that opinion will always dissent. It’s polarizing.

Further, it never enhances the relationship between poster & reader in a healthy way. Those that agree won’t/don’t investigate why the opinion bolsters their belief. Likewise for those who disagree. Ignorance reigns and this leads to a decline in community.

RockNGrohl

I see it this way, some of my band are liberals, some are more conservative, some are right down the middle. But we al get along ad have fun playing together as long as our politics don't get too heated. But we also know that anything crazy we post online will reflect on our band, so we keep it clean. Actually theses days it any employer can see it as well so be respectful. I get freedom of speech and it being protected but when comments cross a line whomever posted should be held accountable. Anyone can think what they want to themselves but if it gets public and affects how other view us or whether they would want to employ us then something would need to be said. Luckily for me my musican friends and brothers are good guys and we leave politics at the door. Although we all agree that me having to hear Barry Manilow on the 70's music feed at my job sucks! No offense to nay Barry Mannilow fans! (He did write the songs that made the whole world sing..lol)

P

Peedy

People are genuinely not nice, but it's been like that at least since Roman times. The best we can do is think before speaking, but also realize half the people are below the curve and they think they're not. We can't correct everyone, especially ourselves if we think we're so clever.

SO it was the ROMANS who started this? Those #%€$&@s. I’m guessing the Greeks who came before them were just super nice then! N AGAPN

Jasta 11

one thing I did on Facebook was stop following other bands that did not respond to my bands posts. This sounds bad, but after a while I realized that I was hitting like for bands that I was following and only 1 of the many was actually reciprocating and liking and commenting on my bands posts. I still follow that band and post likes for the things I genuinely like by them. The others I was like "what the hell am I wasting my time for if they cant even hit a like button once in a while for anything, even an upcoming gig or something"?

C.M. Jones

one thing I did on Facebook was stop following other bands that did not respond to my bands posts. This sounds bad, but after a while I realized that I was hitting like for bands that I was following and only 1 of the many was actually reciprocating and liking and commenting on my bands posts. I still follow that band and post likes for the things I genuinely like by them. The others I was like "what the hell am I wasting my time for if they cant even hit a like button once in a while for anything, even an upcoming gig or something"?

That's one reason I don't use social media at all, aside from this forum, if it qualifies as such. Self-promotion is usually a one-way street. The people you "support" often don't do the same as a courtesy. It's all about recognition, not community.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Everybody has different opinions from different experiences and culture- I’m more curious why people have their opinion than their opinion. What’s interesting is group behaviors-people do crazy things in group they’d never do individually, and people will say and do things online they’d never do in person- sometimes contrary to their own opinion. I’m sure psychologist have a field day deciphering all that -we can be predictable and manipulated before we know it

Yamaha Rider

I see it this way, some of my band are liberals, some are more conservative, some are right down the middle. But we al get along ad have fun playing together as long as our politics don't get too heated. But we also know that anything crazy we post online will reflect on our band, so we keep it clean. Actually theses days it any employer can see it as well so be respectful. I get freedom of speech and it being protected but when comments cross a line whomever posted should be held accountable. Anyone can think what they want to themselves but if it gets public and affects how other view us or whether they would want to employ us then something would need to be said. Luckily for me my musican friends and brothers are good guys and we leave politics at the door. Although we all agree that me having to hear Barry Manilow on the 70's music feed at my job sucks! No offense to nay Barry Mannilow fans! (He did write the songs that made the whole world sing..lol)
"I get freedom of speech and it being protected" - as long as everyone keeps their mouth shut?

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I've never had "protected free speech" at any college I worked-nor "academic freedom" either. We had an approved curriculum for every class-and most the same no matter who teaching it. Actually students could protest stuff except the school itself-which those got shut down fast LOL. Now I've seen some fool hardy individuals (without tenure) foolishly think that had some influence only to find themselves sitting in the Dean's office worrying about a pay check. A band is like any occupation-whether art, medicine, science there is a professional, business, societal aspect-so it ain't about you if you want to be successful. It's difficult to succeed as it is why possibly offend or deter interest cause of a personal belief? But I'd have to say the most brilliant mind I've known working on cancer research is a very ultra-conservative fellow that despite our differences (which we had long debates) ideologically if he finds a cure I'm not turning it down because of his views LOL.

specgrade

All you have to do is remember the Hilary Jones situation. Look how quickly everybody dropped her for what she said online. It you’re interested in your band being of the same mind, then you might want to keep tabs on that. OTOH, if you sub in other bands, then it’s not my briar patch and I’m just the hired hand for the evening. So I think it depends on your situation.

I would think everyone would just behave and let social media be what it’s supposed to be: entertainment.
That YouTube video post you did regarding a band you were/are in was interesting. Nobody liked the singers voice. What ever became of that?

C.M. Jones

Not on here, though!

Here we toss around "likes" like confetti at a wedding, right?!

Ha! I don't disagree entirely. But in this setting, I'd like to think we share a commitment to drumming that supersedes the tedium of unabashed vanity. This is a great platform for drummers of all levels and backgrounds, inevitable avarice aside.