Ever had the cops called on you for drumming?

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
When I was a younger man, I had the cops called on me by the neighbors for playing my drums a few times telling me about noise complaints and ordinances and disturbing the peace, etc. Needless to say, it was hard to get some practice in when I wanted to. Really, it's hard to imagine how I got to learn to even play the drums.

But nowadays, nobody complains when I play at home in my garage. Maybe people have become more tolerant of my drumming over the years. None of the neighbors even mention it, like it's no issue anymore than a lawn mower.
I think people might actually like drumming, they just hate bad drumming. I do too now that I think about it. Almost as bad as bad violin.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
No, but I once called the cops on a neighbor who was going-off about my drumming. Guy was just plain crazy. Said he worked nights and had to sleep during the day. I told him I gig nights and practice during the day. He moved and I moved.

Superman

Gold Member
Yup. I once had some neighbors like 5 houses down call the police once on me and complain. It was funny cause none of the closer houses ever complained but these people did. Luckily I don't live there anymore. Now the only person who complains is my wife.

evolving_machine

Silver Member
Many years ago when I was younger, the police used to get called only if I had the band playing after 10:00pm. But, then some lady moved in that just complained when I was just practicing the drums or the saxophone at any hour.

Icetech

Gold Member
Wish i could play violin.. but the thought of years of screeching strings while i learn to string 5 notes together i just can't bear...

WallyY

Platinum Member
Now never, but as a high school kid, lots of times.

I always left the back door unlocked and the popo would come down the stairs and open the door.

They never had a problem with us. They just told us it's time to stop.
Sometimes there was a cloud of smoke, but they never said anything about that.

Rotarded

Drum Practice never, band practice yes. The first occurrence the officer just told us someone complained and to turn it down. He was a bit surprised that we were all in our late 40's/early 50's and he was late 20's. The next few times he just knocked on the door, said "you guys sound good", and got back into his car and slow rolled out of the court.

F

funkutron

When I was a younger man, I had the cops called on me by the neighbors for playing my drums a few times telling me about noise complaints and ordinances and disturbing the peace, etc. Needless to say, it was hard to get some practice in when I wanted to. Really, it's hard to imagine how I got to learn to even play the drums.

But nowadays, nobody complains when I play at home in my garage. Maybe people have become more tolerant of my drumming over the years. None of the neighbors even mention it, like it's no issue anymore than a lawn mower.
I think people might actually like drumming, they just hate bad drumming. I do too now that I think about it. Almost as bad as bad violin.
Back in the 70's that may have been true, but now, with the kids booming their rap music on their 2000 watt car stereos all hours of the day, people have become "conditioned" to annoying noise. But still, I wish I had a bazooka with a grenade launcher that I could shoot at them when they drive by booming their bass at 3am! "You want noise?! I'LL show you some NOISE! KABOOOOOOM!!!!!"

StaggerLee

Silver Member
I actually used an exploit in the law once, i claimed it under "Impromptu Performance" and they couldn't do shit about it for that night. From then on out i used mutes.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Once in the 80's. After the officer left, I took a guess which neighbor had complained and went to apologize.
Told him to let me know personally if there were any issues in the future instead of involving the police.

Honestly, I think this was his form of payback about my Harley.

G

Ghostnote

One night in Vancouver back in the day my roommate kept playing my drums in the basement past 10:00 pm. Another roommate and myself were partaking in some hashish in the kitchen. We had a few blades lined up on the stovetop and two butter knives were heating up on an element when two cops walked right into our kitchen. The cops looked over at the stove for a moment, then politely asked us to keep it down after 10:00 pm. I went downstairs, told my roommate to can it, and the cops left saying thanks and have a good night. Gotta love Canada, eh?

F

funkutron

One night in Vancouver back in the day my roommate kept playing my drums in the basement past 10:00 pm. Another roommate and myself were partaking in some hashish in the kitchen. We had a few blades lined up on the stovetop and two butter knives were heating up on an element when two cops walked right into our kitchen. The cops looked over at the stove for a moment, then politely asked us to keep it down after 10:00 pm. I went downstairs, told my roommate to can it, and the cops left saying thanks and have a good night. Gotta love Canada, eh?
Yeah, but I'm proud also to live in Washington, a progressive state, one of the first to "legalize"...I fear for our future though, under the new administration.
"One step forward, three steps backward".....

Nate'sKit

Once in the 80's. After the officer left, I took a guess which neighbor had complained and went to apologize.
Told him to let me know personally if there were any issues in the future instead of involving the police.

Honestly, I think this was his form of payback about my Harley.
That's the way to do it. It's just better to do it ahead of time instead of after. That's what I've always done if it seems necessary. Including practicing various instruments in the same building.

Groov-E

Silver Member
Yeah, but I'm proud also to live in Washington, a progressive state, one of the first to "legalize"...I fear for our future though, under the new administration.
"One step forward, three steps backward".....
Nothing is ever acquired.

Still illegal in Canada.

In my experience, only used as an indirect procedure to nail guys the cops can't collect enough dirt on for more serious charges.

We are getting there though, my best guess is by 2018.

The police here is super soft on noise disturbance, never got nor witnessed anything more than a polite notice.

T_Weaves

Silver Member
Sure.......when I was young. Why bother the neighbors when you can disturb the whole neighborhood? hehe

bigd

Silver Member
Wish i could play violin.. but the thought of years of screeching strings while i learn to string 5 notes together i just can't bear...
True but funny story. I'm an elementary school teacher. Kindergarten was walking down the hall past the orchestra lesson room. A violin lesson was happening. A little kid said to the teacher. Mrs. K someones hurting a cat. No honey that's just the room for violin lessons. Again true story.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
True but funny story. I'm an elementary school teacher. Kindergarten was walking down the hall past the orchestra lesson room. A violin lesson was happening. A little kid said to the teacher. Mrs. K someones hurting a cat. No honey that's just the room for violin lessons. Again true story.
Ha ha! The cat strangler rears its ugly head! I've heard a few guitar players that could be described like that too. Cat stranglers!