Ever had a band or genre of music that you shouldn't like...but you do?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Maybe your friends call it rubbish.

Maybe, on paper, you should HATE it.

But for whatever reason, there's a certain band or genre of music that you enjoy. Maybe it's in secret or maybe you don't mind admitting it to a few folks, but overall, you SHOULDN'T like this band or genre, but you do? I'd love to hear what band or genre you like, and possibly include all of the reasons why you shouldn't. How brave are you?

I enjoy quite a few songs that are considered bro country. I shouldn't though. It's formulaic, shallow, and so very stereotypical. And before your reply, yes, I've seen the video where they do a mash-up of modern country and it all sounds the same. I mean, how many times can you use the word pickup truck, tailgate, whisky, Friday night, dirt road, and boots? While I'm not a fan of all of the intros that include the same hand-claps and electronic loops, I have to admit that it's a guilty pleasure. I love the simplicity, and these days, the more simplicity in my life, the better. I don't care about hidden messages and deep meaning in lyrics at this point. I grew up out in the country doing about 90% of what they talk about, so it resonates with me. It's good-time, party music, which I don't get a lot of these days, so I find it refreshing to listen to drinking cold drinks on the back porch and playing in the pool with my kiddos.

Another genre of music that I enjoy playing is I love providing train beats for bluegrassy-sounding music. Percussion in traditional bluegrass is a HUGE no-no! However, even if it's just brushes on a snare, I find it a lot of fun. Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icMTVV5Lwaw&list=RDicMTVV5Lwaw&start_radio=1 It's really difficult to find bluegrassers who want any sort of percussion, but I've managed to find a couple of bands who have me sit it from time to time. I feel that it gives bluegrass music an extra drive. Heck, I even have banjo stickers on my drum cases.

I look forward to your responses as well! This is a non-judgement zone, so feel free to share. :)

Macarina

Silver Member
Back when disco was becoming The Thing, I despised it with every cell in my body. I avoided it at all costs and doubled down exploring rock. I think I disliked disco because of the culture... makeup, cloths, attitude and it was the latest fad.

Years later... I’ve come to enjoy disco when it comes on.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I am full of guilty pleasure music. Disco, soft rock, some country, hip-hop, I just love music. I honestly can't say there is a genre I intentionally avoid. It isn't unusual at all to see me wearing a Slayer shirt and listening to the Bee Gees.

Icetech

Gold Member
When i started drumming... i started liking disco.. ABBA.. KC.. all of that.. it's just soo much fun to play. my 16 year old self would HATE me.. but he was more of an idiot than i am.. so screw em :)

Erberderber

Back when disco was becoming The Thing, I despised it with every cell in my body. I avoided it at all costs and doubled down exploring rock. I think I disliked disco because of the culture... makeup, cloths, attitude and it was the latest fad.

Years later... I’ve come to enjoy disco when it comes on.
Some of those famous tracks from the disco era were extremely well arranged and well produced and bands like Chic, Earth Wind and Fire and Kool and the Gang were extremely talented.

When I was a teenager in the '90s, '70s nights were popular at clubs and I very soon got sick of disco music, which I then considered as cheap, trashy and without substance.

I've been watching videos of live shows by those aforementioned bands and I'm only now truly appreciating the quality of the composition and musicianship of their songs.

Chollyred

I can't think of any genre that I absolutely hate, but there are a lot of "songs" in most genres that I can't stand. A genre that I like, and probably shouldn't, is Symphonic Metal. A friend turned me on to Nightwish several years ago, then I found Kamelot, Epica, etc. Nobody else I know listens to it. I can't listen real long as it starts to sound so much alike; but there are some fantastic voices in that genre.

When I was a teen in the mid-70s, you could walk into my room and flip on the stereo and liable to hear anything.

I do tire very easily of bro country as they all want to be exactly like Luke Bryan.

toddmc

Gold Member
I am full of guilty pleasure music. Disco, soft rock, some country, hip-hop, I just love music. I honestly can't say there is a genre I intentionally avoid. It isn't unusual at all to see me wearing a Slayer shirt and listening to the Bee Gees.
Same here. As a metal-head first and foremost anything you listen to outside your chosen genre is considered a "guilty pleasure".

At least things aren't nearly as bad as they were in the 80's in this regard!

bud7h4

Silver Member
Can't really think of anything that I like but shouldn't. There are songs that aren't really my kind of music that I like, but they're good songs, so I can't say I "shouldn't" like them.

Maybe Nu Shooz "I Can't Wait" ?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Same here. As a metal-head first and foremost anything you listen to outside your chosen genre is considered a "guilty pleasure".

Totally. When I was gigging, anything not metal I more or less had to keep a secret for fear of extreme ridicule.

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
Not an 80s pop fan at all. But I love The Police. One of my favorite bands, and I don't listen to anything else that sounds even remotely like them.

trickg

Silver Member
I've got a lot of guilty pleasure music.

Barry Manilow - probably because it's part of the soundtrack of my youth, but I still enjoy certain Barry Manilow tunes.

Aly & AJ, "Into the Rush" album. To be fair, John "JR" Robinson did the drum work for this. This was one of those things that I put on my iPod because it was my daughter's music, so that we could listen to it if she wanted to in the car. Then I got to where I liked it.

Contemporary Christian music - I like Chris Tomlin, Hillsong, Jesus Culture, etc.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
Lana Del Ray. I don't care for her voice and her weird Indie, Millennial wristcutter tunes but DAMN her songs are catchy. I even learned one on guitar and jokingly tell my wife that I'm going to record a CD of her covers in a Rockabilly style.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
For as long as i can remember, i am 46 now, i spend at least 2 hours a day discovering and checking all old and new quality music within Hiphop, Rap, Electro/IDM/Ambient/etc, Soul, Funk, Indie, Pop, Rock, World, Americana, Folk, etc etc etc..The more obscure, the better..

For me, regarding music, only opinions matter from like minded people..

There are many people who seem to have stopped developing their musical taste somewhere around 1983, saying that nowadays every sucks, which is fine, but i have nothing with that..

I really can not imagine to live my life in any other way..

mikyok

Platinum Member
There are many people who seem to have stopped developing their musical taste somewhere around 1983, saying that nowadays every sucks, which is fine, but i have nothing with that..
Yep, there's some amazing new music out there, you have to do some digging to find it though.

What has happened though is talent has disappeared from pop music with the very odd exception for over 30 years and the majority of folk who aren't musical follow the herd.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Well, I generally don't care much for pop, or very much rap/hiphop, or what's ever "popular" but I love Linkin Park.

I saw them twice. Both times I was the oldest person in the arena by far. But I didn't care.

And outside of that, there are a handful of rap songs I enjoy, even if I don't care for the rests of the artist's catalog.

I generally don't like bands with cookie monster vocals, but I keep making exceptions as long as they mix in some clean vocals. I love Before the Dawn and my newest obsession is a band called Jinjer from Ukraine. The older I get, the more open I am to elements of extreme metal.

As even though I may not be much into pop/soul or whatever you would call it, I've always loved Hall and Oats. And, Outkast's "Hey Ya" was dang enjoyable.
As well as Prince's entire "Purple Rain" album, and everything by No Doubt. I guess maybe I like some pop after all.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member

Totally. When I was gigging, anything not metal I more or less had to keep a secret for fear of extreme ridicule.
I do recall many years of not being able to tell anyone I loved Journey for fear of extreme riddle.

Now, it's like, the complete opposite, and everyone likes them.