Ever get a cymbal go dead on you?

MikeM

Platinum Member
So I've been unhappy with my 20" AAX Xplosion Crash lately. It was always a bit darker than others with the same exact stamp, but it wasn't by that much and I liked it. Guitar Center usually has a couple of these in stock and I can't help trying them out for reference. Mine is darker and duller than any I've heard yet.

Now, it seems to have gone dead to the point where it's hard to play on. I have to really smack it to get it out of its increasingly large ugly zone (which it didn't used to have) and bring out some of its body. It's almost like it's cracked, but I don't think it is - I've been checking regularly in the hopes that it would so I could get a replacement under warranty. But now I think I'm just going to call Sabian and explain that this thing just got really dull over the last year that I've had it and see what they say. Fatigue?

Anyone else experience anything similar?

alparrott

Platinum Member
You *might* have a hairline crack in a lathing running around the bell of the cymbal, as opposed to radiating from the center. those are very hard to spot. Same thing happened to me with an A Zildjian medium crash some years ago... all of a sudden it lost its sparkle and bark and just got quiet and tame. It took me weeks to find the crack - right at the base of the bell.

Ian

Silver Member
Either cracked or a dud. Either way, I think a call to Sabian may be in order. They are great about customer satisfaction. I'd bypass GC and call Sabian telling them it sounds like the cymbal is cracked as it has gone "dead" to your ears.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
You *might* have a hairline crack in a lathing running around the bell of the cymbal, as opposed to radiating from the center. those are very hard to spot. Same thing happened to me with an A Zildjian medium crash some years ago... all of a sudden it lost its sparkle and bark and just got quiet and tame. It took me weeks to find the crack - right at the base of the bell.
Same here... I knew something was wrong with my ride, it had lost it's sparkle, but I just couldn't figure out what had changed. It looked fine, and I examined it regularly for a few weeks. Finally, I discovered a 1" hairline crack along a groove, about halfway between the bell and edge, that had eluded me the whole time.

Keep looking, something's undoubtedly happened to make your cymbal lose its shimmer.

Bermuda

braincramp

Gold Member
I had this happen to a Sabian APX China...looked and looked and never found a crack..it lost lots of volume and the sound just went real dull.????????? Traded it in for a Paiste Rude!

A-customs

Silver Member
Agree with others,there has to be a crack that your just not seeing,id send it back,im sure they would find it and replace.Good Luck.....

MikeM

Platinum Member
So I finally got around to calling Sabian. They told me that if it isn't cracked, then the change in sound is just due to the metal hardening and the cymbal breaking in over time. (I'm not convinced that it isn't but I can't find any and I don't hear any buzzing or sizzle)

Bottom line is that they won't replace a cymbal due to sound reasons alone. So I confirmed with the guy that I'm going to get medieval on it with some 2Bs until it cracks in order for them to replace it. He just laughed and told me to let him know when it gives up the ghost!

Disappointing but funny. Anyway, there you have it.

Edit: There's a moral to this story, and that is that no matter that you "audition" and scrutinize your cymbals to death before you buy them, their sound is likely to drift over time anyway. I also think that Sabian's tend to sound better when they're new compared to new Zildjian's, which tend to be comparatively harsh sounding. But once they've both broken in, I think I may prefer the mellowed Zildjian over the mellowed Sabian (which tend to be mellow to begin with).

Last edited:

razorx

Platinum Member
I used to have a pair of 2002 heavy hats. They sounded dead when i first go them but livened up after the coating on the edges wore off on the underside of the cymbals from them rubbing together.

MikeM

Platinum Member
I used to have a pair of 2002 heavy hats. They sounded dead when i first go them but livened up after the coating on the edges wore off on the underside of the cymbals from them rubbing together.
I have a 2oo2 Ride that's definitely settled down in the year and half that I've owned it. I was trying to crash on it quite a bit at first and I think that may have had some effect - but I could be wrong.

goodcat1337

Bumping this thread cause I just encountered something similar to the OP. Bought a used Meinl Byzance Dark Crash used on GC's website. It was listed in "Good" condition, and they had just dropped the price to $150. So, I snatched it up. Just got it in yesterday, inspected it a bit, seemed to be in really great shape. I put it on a stand to play it, and it sounds so dead. It sounds like you're choking it the entire time. And there are no grooves that it could have gotten a crack in. I've inspected it all over and can't find anything. I'm afraid with it being a used cymbal I am SOL. It kinda pisses me off that Guitar Center would even sell something like that, or even accept it in the first place. No wonder it was less than half price.

pgm554

Platinum Member
I was just at a music store today in San Jose and tried one of the new Sabian HH 16 inch crashes($300 bucks) and it went thud after I hit it.

I thought maybe it was taped or a price sticker was choking it.

I was talking to one of the managers and asked him to take a listen and his reaction was WTF?

He pulled it off the floor and said back to Sabian.

What is up with Sabian QA?

pgm554

Platinum Member
Bumping this thread cause I just encountered something similar to the OP. Bought a used Meinl Byzance Dark Crash used on GC's website. It was listed in "Good" condition, and they had just dropped the price to $150. So, I snatched it up. Just got it in yesterday, inspected it a bit, seemed to be in really great shape. I put it on a stand to play it, and it sounds so dead. It sounds like you're choking it the entire time. And there are no grooves that it could have gotten a crack in. I've inspected it all over and can't find anything. I'm afraid with it being a used cymbal I am SOL. It kinda pisses me off that Guitar Center would even sell something like that, or even accept it in the first place. No wonder it was less than half price.
You got 45 days to return.

goodcat1337

So, as a follow up to what I posted yesterday or whenever that was, I put the cymbal on my own stand today and tried it again. It sounded a little better, but still took a heck of a lot to get it to open up. I scoured the cymbal and found no cracks at all. It feels like a really thin cymbal, but it doesn't wobble at all. It's just way too stiff. So, I'm for sure returning it tomorrow. They had a brand new Dark crash on display in the store I may try out just to see if that one sounds the same. Could just be that I don't like the sound it makes. Wish I had something better than just my phone to record or I would let you guys hear it.

evilg99

Platinum Member
So, as a follow up to what I posted yesterday or whenever that was, I put the cymbal on my own stand today and tried it again. It sounded a little better, but still took a heck of a lot to get it to open up. I scoured the cymbal and found no cracks at all. It feels like a really thin cymbal, but it doesn't wobble at all. It's just way too stiff. So, I'm for sure returning it tomorrow. They had a brand new Dark crash on display in the store I may try out just to see if that one sounds the same. Could just be that I don't like the sound it makes. Wish I had something better than just my phone to record or I would let you guys hear it.
Hey, I have quite a few of the Byzance Dark cymbals - what size is this cymbal?
I returned a 16" that was behaving like you explain.
I have found that the Dark crashes tend to work better in bigger sizes, like 18/19/20" +
I did find a used 16" dark crash that I liked...as a hi hat top. Paired with a vintage Zildjian A. bottom = best 16" hats ever.

J

JohnoWorld

Just bumping this as someone from ebay sent me a "dead" cymbal:

Paiste Signature - Fast Crash 16" - Looks good, description says its bright, good, no dings or cracks etc.

Cymbal arrives - low low tone - thought I'd bought some kind of gong and it didn't sound like any of my other Paistes

Tried it with my kit - no attack, no sustain, no brightness, mics didn't even pick it up.

So after reading this thread, I scanned the cymbal much closer than before and sure enough, a tiny little crack was in the bow.

So i am now sending it back today to get my refund, so THANKYOU DRUMMERWORLD, YOU SAVED ME £140!!!!