Ever crack a cymbal and like it's sound better afterwards?

stabmasterarson

I have a cheap meinl HCS 18" crash ride that I use for my main practice crash on the right side of my kit. I play metal and tend to ride on that crash quite a bit during my band's songs.

I know all of you guys have been playing the same set of cymbals for 30 years without a crack because you have perfect technique, so this thread may not apply to you. I have pretty good technique, I just hit my cymbals all the time in my songs so I use the cheapo cymbal when jamming as I do crack my cymbals, even though I use good technique, don't smash the hell out of them, angle them downwards, etc, etc.

Anyway, I was jamming the other day and I noticed that my cymbal all of a sudden sounded awesome, louder, shimmery, almost identical to my A custom 18" on the left side of my kit but a bit darker. I took a close look at it and noticed there is 2 or 3 small cracks, running radially from the edge, and a couple running at wierd angles, so a total of about 5 cracks on the cymbal.

I usually rent a couple of good cymbals for shows, but I have a show coming up in 2 weeks and I'm thinking I'm gonna use this 50$ cymbal, it sounds awesome. Has this ever happened to you?

MikeM

Platinum Member
That's never happened to me. I usually can tell when the first crack develops because the cymbal will suddenly feel dead. I know if it's cracked before I can even find the crack.

A friend of mine, who's a very part time drummer, had a kit several years ago where all the cymbals were cracked (he probably got them for free from someone). I used to jam with him and his roommate on that kit and it was actually pretty cool. When all the cymbals are cracked, everything is uniformly dead (more or less). You're right, the cymbals then have a different voice and maybe take a little getting used to, but it can actually be a lot of fun.

When I crack a cymbal on my own kit, I always get a replacement for it within a week or two, and I have a few extras laying around to hold me over. I prefer non-broken cymbals.

stabmasterarson

it's the weirdest thing though, this cymbal actually opened up, got louder, more shimmery sounding, not dead at all after it was cracked. It took less energy into it to get good (well not "good" as it is a cheap cymbal, but better anyway) volume and tone It actually rings longer now that it is cracked than it did when it wasn't cracked. I hated this cymbal when it was not cracked, it was dull, heavy sounding, dead sounding. Not only me but my band mates noticed the difference when it was cracked, it actually sounded better.

maddrummr

Platinum Member
At my high school there is a 3-4 inch jagged crack in one of our 18" Zildjian A crashes. When crashed, the two ends of the crack vibrate and hit each other slightly. This ads a little bit of "sizzle". It is a cool little effect.