Ever been asked to "rate" yourself?

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
I read an interesting FB post discussion lately concerning drummers rating themselves on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the worst and 10 being the best.

As you can imagine, all sorts of replies were posted about someone believing they were about an 8, or a 9, others fully believing they were a "10" because a friend said they sounded just like (insert famous drummer's name here).

The whole thing was amusing to the point of being hilarious. Egos were flying all over the place.

It got me to thinking, have you guys ever wandered into some no-name bar and seen some random band playing and their drummer is playing some old beat up 4 piece Frankenstein kit and just knocking every song out of the park he sounds so awesome? It's like that drummer is a composite mix of every famous drummer of the last 50 years.

At their break, you wander over to the drummer and strike up a conversation and learn it's not his full time job, and no he doesn't have a regular band he plays with, he's just "subbing with these guys tonight". And he's "not sure when or who he will play with next".

Huh?

You ask yourself why isn't this guy on the cover of "Modern Drummer"?

This seems to be happening a lot lately. Lol Some obscure drummer just killing it.

At which point, I go home, bump myself back down to a 2 or 3 and cry in my beer.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Being a famous drummer as well asmaking a good living demands a different set of skills and for the most part you'll have to devote your life completely to it.

Somone who's been playng their whole life, doing all sorts of local gigs in their area and who take the practicing of basic skills seriously should, if there are normal demands and standards, be a great musician.

This isn't just in music and art. Athletes who aren't in sports that happen to be heavily sponsored have day jobs too, even if they're world class.

I sometimes consider it myself, as some of the jobs I've had teaching music are in this time and age sooooo remote from what they should be. I could probably gig more, too.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Rate myself? On what scale? By what comparison? In which style of playing? With which musicians am I playing? What drummer is the 10-est of the 10s, and which is the lowest of the 1s?

Rate yourself on a scale from 1-10. Sounds like the dumbest idea I've heard all day. I could compare myself to some drummers, and I'd never ever be more than a "1" to them, while others I'd be a solid 10 in comparison. Totally pointless to do this. Potentially negative to do this! Don't do this!

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Well that's true, kinda absurd, Ha.

I think the FB discussion was more bravado than anything, but it was more along the lines of all genres in general and how do you feel you stack up against all other drummers you've seen, heard, etc. - you're known universe. Still it was funny.

Junior High kids thinking they're "it" and can outplay anyone to old guys actually being truthful and telling what they are working on currently.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

What a loaded question.

I wouldn't touch that with a 39 and a half foot pole.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Do you get good musicians asking you to play with / for them? Yes - you're doing something right. No - you need to work on something. Beyond that, there's not much else to say.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Compared to drummers in my hometown? I'd give myself a 7.5.

On a national scale? A solid 3.

Classic big fish/little pond scenario here.

Smoke

Silver Member
Depends if I'm using a logarithmic scale or a linear scale.

Plus, I'm never certain if I'm the best "me" on earth or the worst. I don't have a twin, so I can't be somewhere in between.

7Mile

I could compare myself to some drummers, and I'd never ever be more than a "1" to them, while others I'd be a solid 10 in comparison. Totally pointless to do this. Potentially negative to do this! Don't do this!
Easy. Obviously 5.

I might get 1.

GeoB

Gold Member
What an awful question to ask somebody. Unless it was an honesty test or a vanity test. We all really do know our flaws, as do painters, carpenters etc... if there is a weakness each of us know where it is, that gap in the armor.... etc.. after all art is a continual process of improvement and since we are ever hearing or seeing someone better means that a rating is meaningless.

Unless you just plain out & out suck... like all of us have and one time or another.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
I rate myself as being half as good as Simon Phillips' left foot little toe...

... which mean that on a scale of 1 to 10, I'm probably a 10 ;)

Yes! Simon Phillips is that good!!! :-D