Evans vs. Aquarian

Personally i find Evans to be better quality and last longer. With the level 360 stuff out now the solidified that for me too..

Trial and error.. I tried so many combinations and configurations my head hurt when I got my new kit.

I am a huge fan of the EC2's with g1's (toms)

as for kick the emad is a great head with a ton of lows and a nice punch

and for my snare its genera dry hd... but the coated reverse is a good choice if you want a bit more tone and overtones

EDIT!!!
(Oh, may not be what you want for blues and jazz, although on my second jazz kit I
I'm rocking an emad and i love it)

+1 on Evans heads for me too!
I used to use Aquarian often too, but over time I found Evans to be much more consistent in tone and manufacture. The Level 360 heads Ive tried have been well recieved and love the tones and response Im getting from them.
Plus (especially over the past year,) Ive had sooo many troubles with Aquarian Q/C , and their new film . theyre not what they used to be at all. Wish it wasnt that way but it has been for me and some others that I know too.

You mentioned the G2 heads for toms, and those are great all around 2 ply heads, they work well in many situations, coated and clear. Emad 2 is great on the kick, a very nice choice as well. Id go with Evans!

Last edited:
I've been using Response 2's for years, very warm...sound great.

I'm amazed how much better the Performance II's sound inside rather than outside, but I think I would prefer Response 2's or Super 2's.

I've had great luck using the Aquarian Hi-Energy batter over a High-Performance snare side head on all of my brass drums. They just bring out the best in the drums. Especially the free floaters. I also just replaced the stock heads on a Pearl SSC 14 x 6" snare with an Aquarian coated black dot batter and a High-Performance snare side. The Pearl tuned up like a dream. I love Aquarians!

I just put some super2's with a ring on the outside (just like the studio x)on my yamaha tour custom : sounds great , very punchy, short sustain and tunes perfectly.

I'm torn, and I'm really interested in which head will win. I have my favorite Aquarian head (Texture Coated Reverse Dot) on one snare drum, and my favorite Evans head Coated G1 PCRD) on another snare drum. It may take awhile, but in the end, only one head will be left standing. The suspense is killing me.To be continued....

I just played the Evans head on my Acrolite last night and I think it's starting to sound a little flat and dead, not lively anymore. Even with the drum wide open, there's no warmth or overtones coming out of it, but the rimshots still sound good. The Aquarian head on the BoB snare drum, which I play more often now, still sounds great and lively. In all fairness, I've put many more hours on the Evans head. I can't really say who won, but it is time to change the Evans head now.

For me, i have had nothing but bad luck with evans, can't seem to get a good warm sound out of them. have tried a few different styles of them.. for my toms i'm using black suede emperors but i plan to try Aquarian next.

I prefer Evans G2 clear over EC Resonant. That is my tom sound. Peace and goodwill.

I recently changed the batter heads on two of my snare drums to Aquarian single-ply texture coated. I guess the Remo equivalent would be a coated Ambassador. On the stock Yamaha Stage Custom snare I changed out the stock head. On my Rogers Holiday snare I replaced an old Ambassador. I've just started rehearsing with a 60's themed band and decided to take these snares our of mothballs so to speak. I tuned them up higher than I had been and they both sound great. I put a Zero Ring on both of them. I'm really impressed with how the Stage Custom birch snare sounds. The sound is crisp and warm at the same time. It also has a great cross stick sound. I'm not a really heavy hitter and the Aquarians fit the bill for me.

For me, i have had nothing but bad luck with evans, can't seem to get a good warm sound out of them. have tried a few different styles of them.. for my toms i'm using black suede emperors but i plan to try Aquarian next.

Can you provide a bit more information? If you've had issues with product performance in the past, I'd love to know about it.

Thanks!

I've played G1 and G2 clear, EC, G2 coated on multiple kits - more successes on snares with Genera, reverse dot and EC reverse dot. Level 360 all. Great success with all - no issues with any Evans product. EMAD Clear. Nothing but success, great sounding heads. G2 clears currently on toms have over 190 nights plus practice sets on them - I was marveling at the sound in practice session last night.

Last edited:
I've played G1 and G2 clear, EC, G2 coated on multiple kits - more successes on snares with Genera, reverse dot and EC reverse dot. Level 360 all. Great success with all - no issues with any Evans product. EMAD Clear. Nothing but success, great sounding heads. G2 clears currently on toms have over 190 nights plus practice sets on them - I was marveling at the sound in practice session last night.

Glad to hear it! Would love to see a photo of your setups.

Just outta curiosity, what do you use on your Acrolite?

Attachments

• 42.jpg
    42.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 2,218
  • 43.jpg
    43.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 2,114
Last edited:
Back