Evans UV2 Heads......serious game changer.

Been using these for a little while and just like the UV1's the coating just does't wear through, I mean the head will physically need changing due to it's life expectancy but the coating.....WOW.

Evans UV2 Drumhead Review
This has always been the case for their regular coated heads. The UV series is a solution looking for a problem. There is nothing wrong with them except they are a lot more expensive for no real advantage

Yea, the coating is bulletproof. Good snare head for brushes.

This has always been the case for their regular coated heads. The UV series is a solution looking for a problem. There is nothing wrong with them except they are a lot more expensive for no real advantage

Who at Evans did you wrong? What happened? haha

I've been playing Evans coated heads for the last decade or so and the UV coating certainly doesn't react the same way that their traditional coating does.

I know the UV coating is a silkscreen that's then cured by UV - so when I got my first set of UV heads - maybe a year and a half ago-ish I was really shocked how incredibly well this coating holds up vs. even their traditional coating (Which you are right - is pretty stout). I pulled them off at 6 months of playing just because that's my SOP - but they looked and felt literally brand new. Hardly any marks or anything on those heads - really the only marks at all (Which I could count on one hand) came from me trying the firegrain sticks which seemed to leave some of that burnt finish on them.

So for what it's worth - I've had the UV1s (not the 2's because my kit is turned sky high and the UV2s just don't sound great up there) for a long time and really love it - even compared to their normal coating. (It IS weird to see the coating stop near the collar - but that make sense for the silk screening process).

Pretty cool stuff - if I was a lower or even medium lower tuner - I'd use the UV2s.

I loved the UV1s at first. The Mylar is as bizarre as the coating. It’s near impossible to cut or even dent. That all results in a very different tone and tuning range, so I quickly grew tired of them and went back to my previous preferences.

After playing for a couple weeks on the UV2s (8", 10", 12", 14", 16" toms) I can tell you, it's not just marketing bla bla. They look and feel like the day I bought them.
But I can totally understand if they're not for everyone, they just feel different while playing. I would describe them as harder/tougher, but not in a bad way. Imho you have to play more into the drum, if that makes sense.

Been using these for a little while and just like the UV1's the coating just does't wear through, I mean the head will physically need changing due to it's life expectancy but the coating.....WOW.

Evans UV2 Drumhead Review
I just ordered 10, 12, 14 for my Renown. Got them on sale from Musicians Friend for $32.00. Not bad $10.00 per head . Will do a review once received.

I posted yesterday that Musicians Friend had their semi-annual Drum Sale going on, can't find it now, and commented that the 10, 12, 14 chocice of UV2 wasn't available. Well it is, as is 12, 13 and 16, and 10, 12, and 16. Right on time for my budget

I posted yesterday that Musicians Friend had their semi-annual Drum Sale going on, can't find it now, and commented that the 10, 12, 14 chocice of UV2 wasn't available. Well it is, as is 12, 13 and 16, and 10, 12, and 16. Right on time for my budget

That's a killer price, hopefully you jumped all over it.

I tried the UV1's all around my kit. At first I liked them, then that feeling waned. I took sandpaper to the coating because I felt it was too thick after playing them a few weeks. That coating is tough tough tough! I don't use them anymore. Too stiff or something.

I tried the UV1's all around my kit. At first I liked them, then that feeling waned. I took sandpaper to the coating because I felt it was too thick after playing them a few weeks. That coating is tough tough tough! I don't use them anymore. Too stiff or something.
Same here, I tried UV1's on all my toms and my snare, and liked them a lot at first, but they're not my first choice anymore. I'm not sure what it is about them, but I feel like they have less overtones than a G1 or Ambassador. I've heard the UV2's in YouTube comparisons and to my ears they don't sound as good as the G2's. Same issue, they seem kind of one-dimensional, not as rich-sounding. Some of my kits have Remo, some Evans, but after experimenting with lots of different heads over the last few years, I'm pretty happy with coated G2/Emperors over clear G1/Ambassadors.

I put UV1 heads on the BCA kit at church over a year ago and I'm just starting to wear through the coating on the 12" tom. They project and they have lots of attack but still with a smooth roundness and sustain. I put UV1s on my MCA kit with the same results. They seem to have more presence than the coated G2s I usually use but the G2s have a bit warmer, rounder sound. The UV1 is a little thin for my preference on snare drums since I like a thicker single-ply head like a coated G14, but I will give the UV2 a try on a snare. I bought a tom pack of UV2s but I'm waiting until I actually need to change heads again since all of my kits have fairly new heads right now.

Back