Evan's UV1

mike d

Silver Member
Anyone using these yet? Interested in how they compare to G2s which I'm using now. I might give them a try, but I also might go with a combo of G12 (10" tom) and G14s (12" and 16").

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I heard them for the first time at NAMM last week, and I dig them - will be ordering some for my toms.

As a 1-ply, they'll probably sing a little more than the G2, but they're coated and won't have too much attack. I thought they sounded nice and toneful at NAMM. Todd Trent (Daxx Nielsen's tech) said he put them on the top and bottom of Daxx's toms and they sound the best ever. Also, they don't seem to wear as fast as a regular 1-ply. I'm looking forward to trying them!

I use G14s (alternating clear and coated) on tour and have been very happy with them, but I'm thinking the UV1 may be a smart alternative for a sweeter sound.

Bermuda

WallyY

Platinum Member
I'm probably not going to give you a proper usable response because I'm not convinced yet if I like them or don't.
I picked up a 12 and 16 two months ago.
I tried them on two different sets. I first tried them on a new Sonor session set. That set had S hoops that I stuck on and I didn't like the sound at all. I didn't try them with these drums after I changed back to 1.6 hoops from the S hoops.

I have since tried the UV1s on Sonorlites and I also didn't care for them much. They sounded bangy with little sustain. I couldn't get them to sing with tone. However, they might have been edge corrupted because they were already on the other drums, so I haven't decided yet that they don't sound good.

I'll have to put them back on the Session set with the normal 1.6 hoops to see what gives.
They look and feel very nice off the drums.
Hopefully I can try them on again in the next day or so to see if they're better.

jbonzo1

Silver Member
I have one on a 60's Rogers brass Powertone and I like it.
I also use coated G12's on my Club Custom 10/12/14/16 toms and love them.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I tried one on a Sensitone bronze 14 x 5, and didn't like it. Also tried it on a Rogers Dynasonic 14 x 5. Too snappy, bright, harsh for me. There's another thread discussing UV1's - some like them. There's also a Youtube demo of 12 snare heads, and the UV1 is third up. It sounds nice and warm on that video.

mike d

Silver Member
Sorry, I looked for, but missed the existing thread. Sounds like they are working out for Groov-E for toms. I've got an Hybrid head on my snare and that works well for me, so I really only care about how they would work on toms (especially compared to G2s, G12s).

PineyplayParadiddles

I've heard great things about UV1's and will be picking up a set at some point. Everything I hear seems to be about the sound but I'm really curious about the durability. Is it true that they really don't mark up quickly like a regular coated head? I've seen a couple of reviewers say that they've used UV1's on their snare for weeks and it still looks very new. I love coated heads but they always get covered in stick marks after a few hours of play and start to chip in a week or two.

WallyY

Platinum Member
I like the clear G12s. They are very much like the clear G1, but just a little bit more slappy and less growly. If you fear damaging the G1s then the G12 would be a good single ply to use.
The coated G12s are very nice. They sound great.

I don't care for the G14 at all. They sound very hard and pingy on my drums.
G14s make my bright and lively drums sound like that dead Gretsch sound.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
The coating, according to adverts, is supposed to outlast everything . I would like to try one on my snare but I'm afraid it may not be dry enough.

pgm554

Platinum Member
Saw one at GC San Mateo the other day as a display model.
Nothing in stock yet.
Sounded OK on one of their snares,but it looked like a billboard with all the adverts on it.
Anything would be a step up as the coating on their heads still kind of sucks in terms of durability.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Every one of their coated snare heads I have had has lasted forever. The coating goes smooth over time but nothing like the bare, clear spots I see on Remo snare heads. I'm sure we all have opinions but I won't buy Remo snare heads for that reason.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Every one of their coated snare heads I have had has lasted forever. The coating goes smooth over time but nothing like the bare, clear spots I see on Remo snare heads. I'm sure we all have opinions but I won't buy Remo snare heads for that reason.
Agreed. I've had that experience with probably half of the Remo coated heads I've used.
I'll order one and report back.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
"Every one of their coated snare heads I have had has lasted forever. The coating goes smooth over time but nothing like the bare, clear spots I see on Remo snare heads. I'm sure we all have opinions but I won't buy Remo snare heads for that reason." Man I couldn't agree more. Some of my Remo heads didn't last a couple weeks before clear bare spots. I never get that with Evans-get smooth and maybe black but last forever.

pgm554

Platinum Member
"Every one of their coated snare heads I have had has lasted forever. The coating goes smooth over time but nothing like the bare, clear spots I see on Remo snare heads. I'm sure we all have opinions but I won't buy Remo snare heads for that reason." Man I couldn't agree more. Some of my Remo heads didn't last a couple weeks before clear bare spots. I never get that with Evans-get smooth and maybe black but last forever.
My experience is a bit different than yours.

Attachments

After seeing a lot of durability questions here I wanted to add my experience. I work for GC in the Chicagoland area, we also got a display UV1 with all the details on the head, that same head has been on a snare on a kit that is played probably more than any other in the department, by ten or more different players throughout the day on a SLOW day. That head has been on the kit for roughly 2 months now, and it still looks and sounds like it's brand new.

Hope this helps!

mike d

Silver Member
I just ordered some for my toms (10, 12, 16).
I'll report back after I get to pound on them. ;)

STXBob

Gold Member
I gigged a 14" UV1 on my WorldMax Black Beauty clone (14x6.5", die cast rims, tube lugs) last weekend. The Aquarian Modern Vintage medium I had on it was knackered after weeks of playing (long-lasting and a lovely head, but that's a different review), so I popped into Dale's. They don't stock Aquarian, because they're definitely Evans fans. I was all "meh" about Evans, have been for some time, because I also find the coating on the G1s and G2s to be iffy, and I like the Aquarian Modern Vintage series better. But they had a stack of UV1s, so I figured, "What the heck? It's only about $15."

It was definitely different! I should say straight away I had set myself up to not like it. I really love the sound the Aquarian gives me on that snare. I find the MV gives my just the amount of control I like without additional muffling, without making the drum too dead. So I was ready with the Moongel for the UV1, expecting Ambassador/G1 levels of ring.

I didn't need it. That's not to say it sounded like the Modern Vintage. It didn't. The UV1 was definitely more lively, as lively as an Ambo/G1, but for some reason without the boingy overtones I usually have to tame when I use one of those.

It tuned up really quickly and easily, and sounded good at low and medium tunings, so I went out on a limb - I had a couple hours til Dale's closed if I broke it! :p - and decided to crank it up past where I usually take the batter on that drum. I didn't go quite to the reggae stratosphere I learned when I lived in the Caribbean, but definitely put some tension on it. It choked pretty badly. That might have been the drum, but I've had Ambo/G1 on that drum with reggae tuning and it didn't choke that badly. YMMV.

When I got to the gig, I was surprised to find the backline kit was actually not entirely knackered, and that everything was close-miked. So I slapped my BB on the stand, clipped the mic to it, and grabbed the Moongel again. I figured I'd need to muffle, so I put a full piece right under the mic. The sound guy told me to take it off. I did. He told me to put the gel away. He was right - the drum sounded sweet in the mix.

I haven't played it enough to have an informed opinion on the coating.

TL;DR: I liked it. I'd buy another one.

P.S. That backline kit changed my opinion of the Yamaha Gigmaker from "EW" to "Pretty impressive for the price." The snare was serviceable (the drummer in the band before mine in the showcase used it) but not super-impressive. The kick had the Remo version of EMAD on it with a ported reso and sounded KILLER. The toms had the stock Chinese Remos on them, but I had a chance to tune them a bit and made them sound good in the mix. IN THE MIX. On their own, in sound check, they sounded pretty awful. But in the mix with everything else, they sounded perfectly acceptable. Further vindicating my long-held theories about Throne Tone vs. Crowd Tone. :-D

mike d

Silver Member
I just got the heads yesterday and stuck them on the drums tonight. Initial reaction (coming from coated G2s)... The brightness kinda freaked me out. They are really bright, resonant, easy to tune to a nice clear "tone". After installing them, dinking with the tuning, then leaving them for a while, I went back and pounded on them some more. I think I'm going to like them. They really make the drums sing in a way that the other heads I've used haven't (all two ply). One nice thing is that my 8" is easier to tune and get some tone out of. That was kind of a chore getting it right with the G2s. My floor tom also sounds less thuddy, and has a more resonant tone. I suppose that's what I should have expected, but the difference was more dramatic than I imagined. They are a different sound, and might not be to all peoples liking. They are definitely on the opposite end of the spectrum from hydraulics and even EC2.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I had a chance to try the heads on 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms, and I like them a lot. I agree with the floor toms being less thuddy, I was getting nice clear tones that moved some air. Smaller toms sounded clear and round, although I wouldn't say they have significant attack on their own, if mic'd they'd come through a little better. Maybe a clear version is in the works? Or I guess that would just be a G1?

One very odd thing I noticed though... I normally have my reso tuned noticeably higher than the batter to get a resonant sound, yet with the UV1 and Reso7 combination, the clearest sounds are happening with the reso tuned lower. I've never been able to make that work, except with these heads! I know I can simply tune up the resos, but they sound so good as-is, I'm just gonna leave it!

Bermuda