Evans ST Dry Snare Head

graysonator

I’m in the process of changing my old Aquarian heads out and I wanted to try out some Evans heads. I already have a G14 for my 13” bubinga snare drum and it sounds so thick and rich and I love it so much! I have an ST dry on the way for my 14” cocobolo snare and I’m excited to try it out. Have any of you guys used this head before and if so what do you like about it?

I dont know if it will help, I bought once an Evans HD dry and promised myself not to ever ever buy that kind of vented snare head Once again. It completely killed the personality of the snare, and the buzz roll sounded weird. It may be interesting for a side effect snare: tuned low, but too caricatural for a main snare.
I like my drums to sing, that kind of head make them sound really different than a equipped with a standard head.

I use an Evans ST Dry and I like it. It does tame the overtones. I have it on a steel snare and I get a more focused tone out of it.

I dont know if it will help, I bought once an Evans HD dry and promised myself not to ever ever buy that kind of vented snare head Once again. It completely killed the personality of the snare, and the buzz roll sounded weird. It may be interesting for a side effect snare: tuned low, but too caricatural for a main snare.
I like my drums to sing, that kind of head make them sound really different than a equipped with a standard head.
The hd dry has a control ring on the underside while the st dry just has the vents and no control ring

The hd dry has a control ring on the underside while the st dry just has the vents and no control ring

Yes, and I tried the HD Dry and I thought it was too "dry". So I cut off the control ring. Then it was just right. So now I buy the ST Dry.

Been a fan of the Genera & the Genera Dry for a while now. Tried everything over the years but these are now my go-to depending if its wood or metal.

It does tame the overtones.

Absolutely! I have it on a couple of snares that would howl with my go-to ST head. Not really resonance, just a long note for some reason. I couldn't seem to out enough padding on the snare to stop it. The ST Dry head cured it!

Of course it can be used as a batter on any snare, but it is a dry head!

Bermuda

So the head finally came today! I put it on the snare and tuned it to a medium low setting. It has a nice amount of dryness while still retaining a nice pleasant ring. gonna go for some UV2's on toms next!

You will not regret the UV2's.. I run them atop clear EC Reso's on my Ludwig CM's and they are simply the best.

Ok... So I did some experimenting with the ST Dry and I put a reverse dot underneath it! It sounds incredible! Made it sound 10000x better!!!

Ok... So I did some experimenting with the ST Dry and I put a reverse dot underneath it! It sounds incredible! Made it sound 10000x better!!!

I don't understand. You put a reverse dot drum head on the snare side of the drum??

No, I peeled off the dot from my old head and I put it on the underside of the ST Dry. Now the ST dry head has a reverse dot on it.

No, I peeled off the dot from my old head and I put it on the underside of the ST Dry. Now the ST dry head has a reverse dot on it.

OH. OK I get it. Gosh you really wanted a dry sounding head. I'm glad you found the sound you like!

I mean the dot doesn't really make it dry, I wanted a bit more of a fatter dry sound, so that is why I came up with the combination!

I mean the dot doesn't really make it dry, I wanted a bit more of a fatter dry sound, so that is why I came up with the combination!

YES ! Fat and dry. Good idea.
They ought to sell a reverse dot that you can peal and stick to the bottom of a drum head. I did a search and found a dot that sticks to the top of the head. Sweetwater

I would probably just stick one on the bottom on the head!

Back