Evans orchestral snare heads vs. Remo Diplomat Renn.

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
Thanks for all the replies.

I use (and like) Evans heads on my kit, so I've decided to try an Evans Strata 1000 (10 mill single ply calf-skin replica) batter with an Evans Orchestral 200 clear (2 mill single play) reso. I'll report back and let you know how it sounds.

I think part of my problem is that I was trying to stick to the orchestral standards when I'm not actually playing orchestral music. I need my solo work to have power and projection with the dynamic control and articulation sensitivity, and the renaissance heads just aren't doing that.

pgm554

Platinum Member
I've heard Evans finally fixed the sticky coating problem so that might not be an issue any longer.

But I still prefer Remo and Aquarian heads more.
No ,they haven't.
Stick with Remo if you don't want that issue.
I have gone into GC and other music stores and still had issues with the coating sticking to the box.
I like the sound and feel of Evans ,but they just have their issues.

Last edited:

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
So far I am enjoying the he Evans heads a lot. I’ve got an Orchestral 200 2ml hazy reso, and a Strata 1000 hazy batter. The clarity is amazing, and the thicker 10ml ply gives much more body.

As an experiment I tried a Genera Dry HD and while it was too thick a sound, I was surprised by how it was able to retain the sensitivity. I guess a lot of the sensitivity comes from the snare construction and reso head.

Anyway, so far vastly preferring the Evans Strata to the Remo Diplo Rennys, but my purposes are slightly different from traditional orchestral work.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

So far I am enjoying the he Evans heads a lot. I’ve got an Orchestral 200 2ml hazy reso, and a Strata 1000 hazy batter. The clarity is amazing, and the thicker 10ml ply gives much more body.

As an experiment I tried a Genera Dry HD and while it was too thick a sound, I was surprised by how it was able to retain the sensitivity. I guess a lot of the sensitivity comes from the snare construction and reso head.

Anyway, so far vastly preferring the Evans Strata to the Remo Diplo Rennys, but my purposes are slightly different from traditional orchestral work.

awesome to hear!! And definitely "yes" to the reso side head and snare tuning being a major part of that sensitivity

Those Genera Dry HD's are usually a back up head I use for batter side if I can't get a Remo Ambassador Coated;

I also have one on one of our concert band snares at school;