Evans orchestral snare heads vs. Remo Diplomat Renn.

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
The industry standard for orchestral snare drum work seems to be Remo Diplomat Rennaissance heads. I've got one of these, and an Ambassador Renn. which I alternate with on my Pearl PHA 14x6.5 aluminium snare.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the Evans offerings, namely the Orchestral, Staccato, and the Strata series.

How do they handle the sensitivity, low dynamics and articulation in comparison to the Remo Renny series?

Last edited:

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I've used the Strata series on both snares and toms before, and I'm pretty sure I've tried a Strata Staccato at some point too. The Staccato model just has a Powerstroke-style muffle ring on the underside of the head at the edge.

The Strata series is a coated 1-ply head. The coating is translucent and the overall effect is a much more mid-rangy sound than a traditional film/traditional coating drumhead. The Strata is a little brighter than a Renaissance from what I remember, but the coating really turned me off. All of my Strata heads became tacky and would begin collecting dust, and a couple were even stuck to the inside of the box when I bought them.

I really, really like the Renaissance heads, both for having 1-ply and two-ply options, and the fact they're textured film without a coating. The problems with the coating on the Strata heads were the beginning of a line of serious issues I had with Evans heads that completely turned me off of them as a brand.

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
I've used the Strata series on both snares and toms before, and I'm pretty sure I've tried a Strata Staccato at some point too. The Staccato model just has a Powerstroke-style muffle ring on the underside of the head at the edge.

The Strata series is a coated 1-ply head. The coating is translucent and the overall effect is a much more mid-rangy sound than a traditional film/traditional coating drumhead. The Strata is a little brighter than a Renaissance from what I remember, but the coating really turned me off. All of my Strata heads became tacky and would begin collecting dust, and a couple were even stuck to the inside of the box when I bought them.

I really, really like the Renaissance heads, both for having 1-ply and two-ply options, and the fact they're textured film without a coating. The problems with the coating on the Strata heads were the beginning of a line of serious issues I had with Evans heads that completely turned me off of them as a brand.

Great, thanks for the insight. Not much of an endorsement for them then?!

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I've heard Evans finally fixed the sticky coating problem so that might not be an issue any longer.

But I still prefer Remo and Aquarian heads more.

timmdrum

Silver Member
I haven't played in an orchestral setting since college in the 90s, but I've used Renaissance Emperor heads for my kit snares for a long time, for the same reason as @Winston_Wolf (texture without coating). Most recently I tried a white Suede head for the same reason; I like it just as much. I have an Evans J1 Etched (Renaissance equivalent, now discontinued- is the Strata the same thing with a different name?) that I bought for a 13" snare but haven't installed yet; from eyeballing, it seems of equal quality. ?‍♂️

Last edited:
Since you live in Europe, you might enjoy the Litik calf skin heads. I only have one of the thicker heads on a snare but I love it so far. Also, they have a DIY set consisting of a skin and hoop: it's called "Tuck-yourself" which (in my childish opinion) is one of the most ingenious names ever given to a piece of equipment.

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
Since you live in Europe, you might enjoy the Litik calf skin heads. I only have one of the thicker heads on a snare but I love it so far. Also, they have a DIY set consisting of a skin and hoop: it's called "Tuck-yourself" which (in my childish opinion) is one of the most ingenious names ever given to a piece of equipment.

Great, thanks for the recommendation.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Just curious...What kind of sound are you looking for? Is there anything that the Renaissance heads aren't giving you?

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
Just curious...What kind of sound are you looking for? Is there anything that the Renaissance heads aren't giving you?

Modern, crisp, dry, and powerful, yet with the sensitivity and articulation required. The Renaissance heads just sound quite boxy or papery to me. They certainly have the sensitivity and articulation, but I’m not blown away by the power. I’m performing and recording modern solo repertoire which includes orchestral-like material but in a solo context.

Im on a Pearl 6.5” deep aluminium Philharmonic, so I want the head to make the most of the drum.

johnjssmith

I can't comment on the Evans strata specifically, but here's another thing that's worth considering - are you using the usual remo hazy 3mil reso head?
If so, you should consider a thinner and clear reso head, which in my experience makes more difference than the batter head for adding sensitivity and crispyness.

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
I can't comment on the Evans strata specifically, but here's another thing that's worth considering - are you using the usual remo hazy 3mil reso head?
If so, you should consider a thinner and clear reso head, which in my experience makes more difference than the batter head for adding sensitivity and crispyness.

Thanks, but no, I’ve got a diplo Renaissance clear on the reso head.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

you also might want to try the Remo Suede series...might be a good middle of the road between the Renn heads and the traditional set head offerings. I think they will not have the "papery" sound you are describing...

Start with a Diplomat....

how hard do you hit?

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
how hard do you hit?

Well, I use the Persimmon SCS1 sticks which are quite thick, and there are some fff passages, so I give it a fair whack, but I’m not generally a big hitter.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Renaissance top and bottom is going to result in a papery sound for sure. Considering the thick aluminum shell isn't really giving a lot of wet overtones either I can totally see where the end result isn't particularly enjoyable.

I'm also not surprised you're wanting more power if you're using a 7-mil head. There isn't enough mass there to really give the drum any solidity, especially considering the shell thickness.

I'd consider going a little more traditional with head choices and let the shell, hoops, and cable wires bring the dryness. I'd go with a much more neutral combo of a plain old coated Ambassador and a hazy Ambassador snare side.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I never got along with Dip weight heads. No balls, too anemic sounding, dies too fast, dents too easily. No sustain. The added sensitivity comes at the price of most of the balls.

All my Guru snares...I can't get the snares to not sound. I'm literally touching the head as light as I am able to, and only from about a 1/2" stick height. With 10 mil coated over 3 mil snare side. It's not even a stroke I'm doing, it's a touch. My Black Beauty was 10x less sensitive with that test. I actually had to hit it much harder than my Guru to get the snares to activate. That needed a stroke. I was shocked!

Maybe get 2 orchestral snares, one 5" deep with Diplomat weight heads for soft passages, and one 6.5" deep with ambassador weight heads for some power

Last edited:

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Well, I use the Persimmon SCS1 sticks which are quite thick, and there are some fff passages, so I give it a fair whack, but I’m not generally a big hitter.

I think the Ambassador weight Suedes might be good try on the batter...with which ever snare side you are using

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
Hmm ok, consensus seems to be that the dip heads top and bottom just aren’t cutting it for the drum they’re on.

Would it be worth trying a thicker reso head first and then changing the batter, or keep the reso and try a thicker batter first?

I have actually had a normal coated Ambassador on it recently.The coating didn’t last very long and I did feel I lost clarity in the lower dynamic range, but there was more power and projection (and overtones!).

Last edited:

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
If Remo's coating is letting you down I strongly suggest trying Aquarian, their coating lasts forever! I'm a big fan of their Modern Vintage heads, and I think they sound great on snares.

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
If Remo's coating is letting you down I strongly suggest trying Aquarian, their coating lasts forever! I'm a big fan of their Modern Vintage heads, and I think they sound great on snares.

Thanks, I’ll take a look.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Hmm ok, consensus seems to be that the dip heads top and bottom just aren’t cutting it for the drum they’re on.

Would it be worth trying a thicker reso head first and then changing the batter, or keep the reso and try a thicker batter first?

I have actually had a normal coated Ambassador on it recently.The coating didn’t last very long and I did feel I lost clarity in the lower dynamic range, but there was more power and projection (and overtones!).

thinner reso head, thicker batter if anything...at least in my experiences with brush playing, orchestral playing and really, even drum set...even my marching snares have thinner (mylar) resos