Evans heads- Advise pls!!!

I was the same, but with Evans. I only went to Remo to get the CS Black Dot that Evans doesn't have an equivalent to.
I've been a hydraulic player since the 80's and have always loved those, but the CS series is king on my kit of late.

I've never owned an Evans head, though I've played them on backline kits and studio house-kits. I have no complaints about Evans. I'm just a lifelong Remo lover.

It's the crown, man. When I look down, I need to see the Remo crown.

Have to see the crown... Right above the spot that used to have coating but wore off in the first hour of playing ;)

I've noticed that the integrity of the coating varies from model to model. I recently switched from a Coated Ambassador to a Coated Powerstroke 3 on my snare, and the Powerstroke 3's coating is holding up much better. It's perplexing, because both are 10-mil single plies. You'd think they'd get the same coating treatment, but maybe not.

I'm using an Aquarian Hi-Energy, it's my new favorite! Does high and tight fantastically!

I've noticed that the integrity of the coating varies from model to model. I recently switched from a Coated Ambassador to a Coated Powerstroke 3 on my snare, and the Powerstroke 3's coating is holding up much better. It's perplexing, because both are 10-mil single plies. You'd think they'd get the same coating treatment, but maybe not.

Interesting, I actually found the same with those same two heads. Granted, it's been awhile since I used remo BUT coated ambassador and coated ps3 were my go to snare heads with them. The ambassador always wore out quickly, the ps3 would hold coating for months.

I've quickly come to learn that with the release of the UV1 and UV2 lines there is very little reason for most other snare/tom heads to even exist. Maybe it's just me though.
So I read this and joined the UV1 crowd.
My first snare head went on in early Feb
and after only 3 weeks the surface started to pit.
I posted a pic on this thread and everyone who was using the UV1 said this was an anomaly. I sent pics to
Evans and they honoured the warranty and had the
Canadian distributor send me a replacement (Evans also replaced a 10in Calftone that bubbled) So I installed the new UV1 and have played it sparingly. #2
head is now pitting the same as the 1st. Something is wrong at Evans with either the process or after mfr inspection. I'm 80 don't hit hard and do a lot of brushwork so I don't feel I'm at fault and the drum kit is stored and played in heated room.
The pitting on the second head is identical to the first in that it's predominately on the left side where I play trad grip. I do a lot of fills, rolls and slaps. I'm at a loss as regards whats going wrong. Any thoughts ?

Attachments

• F080C2C2-B005-43D4-897E-3A1A6104ACFE.jpeg
    F080C2C2-B005-43D4-897E-3A1A6104ACFE.jpeg
    11.9 KB · Views: 3
So I read this and joined the UV1 crowd.
My first snare head went on in early Feb
and after only 3 weeks the surface started to pit.
I posted a pic on this thread and everyone who was using the UV1 said this was an anomaly. I sent pics to
Evans and they honoured the warranty and had the
Canadian distributor send me a replacement (Evans also replaced a 10in Calftone that bubbled) So I installed the new UV1 and have played it sparingly. #2
head is now pitting the same as the 1st. Something is wrong at Evans with either the process or after mfr inspection. I'm 80 don't hit hard and do a lot of brushwork so I don't feel I'm at fault and the drum kit is stored and played in heated room.
The pitting on the second head is identical to the first in that it's predominately on the left side where I play trad grip. I do a lot of fills, rolls and slaps. I'm at a loss as regards whats going wrong. Any thoughts ?

Wow, I haven't seen that before. Not much help to provide. I hesitate to say it's an Evans specific issue as that's the first I've seen that happening with the UV1s however I also hesitate to say it's any sort of 'user error' as it doesn't sound like you put your heads through any sort of 'abuse'. What heads do you normally use and did you have this issue? If all heads dish out like that for you maybe try a thicker head like the g12 or g14.

Wow, I haven't seen that before. Not much help to provide. I hesitate to say it's an Evans specific issue as that's the first I've seen that happening with the UV1s however I also hesitate to say it's any sort of 'user error' as it doesn't sound like you put your heads through any sort of 'abuse'. What heads do you normally use and did you have this issue? If all heads dish out like that for you maybe try a thicker head like the g12 or g14.
Over the years I played a lot but mainly Remo Ambassador coated and Diplomat FiberSkyn without problem other than the Amb coating would wear rather quickly as I play a lot if brushes. Back in the 80s I even installed Remo pre tuned on my toms and Aquarian hydraulics once. Nor have I experienced a failure as regards separation on two ply heads with Remo or Aquarian. I have had a couple of Evans reso
heads over the years.. no problem but batter heads ?

Back