Evans heads- Advise pls!!!

alex.56

Hi guys, I wanna know something about evans heads. I've been using remo heads for years but now I wanna try something different: evans heads. I mostly play funk and fusion and now I'm using on my kit coated remo ambassador heads(batter side) for my toms and my floor tom and clear remo ambassador( resonant ). Someone of you has evans? What do you recommend for me? thank you!

Reactions: Jml
I've always been a devout Remo consumer. My only experience with Evans is through gigging on house kits every now and then. I could say I prefer Remo because of its quality, but it's more likely that I just prefer my own drums and tunings with Remo heads over the sound and feel of house kits I've played that have been equipped with Evans heads . The simple truth is that I'm comfortable with Remo and have no desire to switch brands. When I look down at a drumhead, I just need to see the Remo crown.

It really depends on what type of head you want. You presently play coated ambassadors so are you only considering the Evans version of their coated heads? I only play a coated Ambassador on my snare. The rest of my my toms have had Evans Blue Hydraulics 2 ply heads on them for decades. I bought them simply because they last FFFFOOOOORRRRREEEEEVVVVVVEEEERRRRR. But I also realize I gave up a fair amount in tonal quality. And for that reason I'm finally thinking of changing up my tom heads. I am reluctant to move away from the 2 ply heads but am thinking of going with Remo Pinstripes as it seems they provide more resonance and tone than the Evans Hydraulics while still maintaining that "indestructible" quality. All I can say is that you really can't go wrong with either Evans or Remo. You just need to find the tone that works for you. Maybe buy one coated Evans and stick it on a tom and see if you like it?

I also love the UV heads on toms. They really excel on an edge with even the slightest roundover (for increased head-shell contact.) I tried them on snares, and they're great, but maybe a little lively. I still prefer the ST.

For tom resos, a G1 is nice, and I like Reso7, which is coated and the same weight as a Diplomat (7 mils.)

Bermuda

I also love the UV heads on toms. They really excel on an edge with even the slightest roundover (for increased head-shell contact.) I tried them on snares, and they're great, but maybe a little lively. I still prefer the ST.

For tom resos, a G1 is nice, and I like Reso7, which is coated and the same weight as a Diplomat (7 mils.)

Bermuda

Interesting observation regarding the snare tone, I like the UV1 on my snare because it is lively but it somewhat rounds out the sustain and highs vs a G1/Amb so it's ever so slightly controlled

I guess it depends if you want to keep the same sound/feel as what you have or go in a different direction.

G1 is Evans' equivalent to the Ambassador. G2 is a two-ply like a Remo Emperor, and the EC2 has muffling along the edge of the head and is pretty similar in sound to a Remo Pinstripe.
Thank you. I wanna try something different, find new sounds, new feeling, I don't wanna be stuck with the same head or something like that.
with G1 on the batter side, what do you recommend me on the resonant one?

I've always been a devout Remo consumer. My only experience with Evans is through gigging on house kits every now and then. I could say I prefer Remo because of its quality, but it's more likely that I just prefer my own drums and tunings with Remo heads over the sound and feel of house kits I've played that have been equipped with Evans heads . The simple truth is that I'm comfortable with Remo and have no desire to switch brands. When I look down at a drumhead, I just need to see the Remo crown.
I've never switched to evans so, since I'll buy them, I wanted to know your opinion.

It really depends on what type of head you want. You presently play coated ambassadors so are you only considering the Evans version of their coated heads? I only play a coated Ambassador on my snare. The rest of my my toms have had Evans Blue Hydraulics 2 ply heads on them for decades. I bought them simply because they last FFFFOOOOORRRRREEEEEVVVVVVEEEERRRRR. But I also realize I gave up a fair amount in tonal quality. And for that reason I'm finally thinking of changing up my tom heads. I am reluctant to move away from the 2 ply heads but am thinking of going with Remo Pinstripes as it seems they provide more resonance and tone than the Evans Hydraulics while still maintaining that "indestructible" quality. All I can say is that you really can't go wrong with either Evans or Remo. You just need to find the tone that works for you. Maybe buy one coated Evans and stick it on a tom and see if you like it?
Thank youu!!! I also play coated Ambassador on my snare. I used to have clear heads on my toms like 3 years ago, but why not I can come back and see what happen.

Bermuda
Thank you!! I've never heard about UV heads, I'm gonna check'em out!!

I've just put Evans G12 as batters on one of my kits. On the rack and floor tom. I quite like them. They are a slightly thicker one ply head ( 12 mill) Remo equivalent is Ambassador X I believe. Like Winston W above I like the Evans EC Resonant head on my toms.

I’m like you in that for years I’ve always gone to Reno batter heads of many styles and weights. I currently have a 3 mm reso on my heavy ten lug 1969 Pearl/Coronet snare as I read that it gives a fatter sound which I want. It works nice. I’m sure Reno has something similar. For my Sonor Safari Jazz kit I wanted a vintage sound so I started with a Remo Diplomat Fibreskyn on my snare. I had Remo Ambassador coated on the 8 and 14 inch Toms and decided to do them over. My dealer didn’t have Fibreskyns in stock but he did have Evans 56 Calftones so I said “ why not” I installed them on the Toms and am very pleased. They do I think, have a slightly softer sound than Fybre’s which is apparent when comparing the two 14inch heads. I guess what this shows is that both manufacturers have their own sounds but in either case they both produce top quality products and choice is subjective !

I’m like you in that for years I’ve always gone to Reno batter heads of many styles and weights. I currently have a 3 mm reso on my heavy ten lug 1969 Pearl/Coronet snare as I read that it gives a fatter sound which I want. It works nice. I’m sure Reno has something similar. For my Sonor Safari Jazz kit I wanted a vintage sound so I started with a Remo Diplomat Fibreskyn on my snare. I had Remo Ambassador coated on the 8 and 14 inch Toms and decided to do them over. My dealer didn’t have Fibreskyns in stock but he did have Evans 56 Calftones so I said “ why not” I installed them on the Toms and am very pleased. They do I think, have a slightly softer sound than Fybre’s which is apparent when comparing the two 14inch heads. I guess what this shows is that both manufacturers have their own sounds but in either case they both produce top quality products and choice is subjective !

For many years -- over three decades, in fact -- I used Remo Coated Ambassadors on all my drums. I've recently been experimenting by running Ebony Pinstripes on my toms and bass, which I like overall. The Coated Ambassador remains my favorite snare head, however. It's versatility and response is unmatched in my opinion.

I did try a Remo FiberSkyn on my snare a long time ago. It's a good head. I just prefer Coated Ambassadors.

I agree that brand choice is quite subjective.

I've just put Evans G12 as batters on one of my kits. On the rack and floor tom. I quite like them. They are a slightly thicker one ply head ( 12 mill) Remo equivalent is Ambassador X I believe. Like Winston W above I like the Evans EC Resonant head on my toms.
I'm gonna check'em out thx!

Of course, choice is subjective, I just wanted to know more about evans heads, have a general overview. Thank you!

Back